Comments

• Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can recommend a couple of great retro gaming films:
    King Of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
    and also Chasing Ghosts : Beyond The Arcade

Next weekend is the Kong Off 2 competition in the USA. Some seriously high scores should be made then. I struggle to get over 10,000 on Donkey Kong whereas these guys get over 1,000,000 !

Some current retro games I am enjoying playing using MAME are Bank Panic, Mappy and Cosmic Guerilla. I also play PacMan and Space Invaders a fair bit.
  • Options
    0lly0lly Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I love buying and playing retro games. I'm probably more into retro stuff than modern gaming now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    I still play the old Dizzy games at times as well as a number of Mega Drive games on both the PC (via an emulator) and from the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection on PS3.

Saw this and thought you could help. I loved a couple of dizzy games on the Amiga. I didn't realise there was so many, so thought you could help me find at least one of them.

One of the ones I played I remember at the start you had to pick up a leaf and a match to burn a door down before you could go anywhere.

I don't remember much of another one as I may be mixing 2 together in my head. Which one is your fave BTW?
  • Options
    DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always go back to old games at some point. Shining Force is the best retro game of all time in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    I've also got a ZX Spectrum CD which I bought from HMV years ago with over 1,000 games (Roms) on it.

Which one?
    I've got two of them but the sound's crap on a modern PC/Laptop. Bjut have you tries the world of spectrum one?
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    Next weekend is the Kong Off 2 competition in the USA. Some seriously high scores should be made then. I struggle to get over 10,000 on Donkey Kong whereas these guys get over 1,000,000 !

Donkey Kong (Arcade) is one seriously hard game!

I play quite a lot of retro, it just wouldn't feel right if I didn't have some old game on the go. Between my Wii and Xbox it covers most things via emulation. N64 and Saturn are two consoles I have a lot of love for and are regularly used on my retro set up 'ting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donkey Kong (Arcade) is one seriously hard game!

I play quite a lot of retro, it just wouldn't feel right if I didn't have some old game on the go. Between my Wii and Xbox it covers most things via emulation. N64 and Saturn are two consoles I have a lot of love for and are regularly used on my retro set up 'ting.

DK is very hard. I don't enjoy it that much as I find it too frustrating. One of the guys on the King Of Kong movie finished the game in about 2.5 hours. I last about 2.5 minutes max !

I'm really liking Food Fight (arcade) at the moment. The game where the 4 chefs chase you around and you throw food at them. I got a high score of 55,600.earlier.:D
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Sir Freddie Laker for enabling me to see Space Invaders and Asteroids in a 3 week holiday to the Southern States in 1978, before we even knew anything beyond Pong was possible..

Going to Uni in 1982, they were still popular and of course Pacman, Battlezone, Galaxian, Zaxxon and Defender.

Space Invaders was easy to master 'round the clock'. Never liked Space Invadert II much.

Some arcade machines could be cheated with 2p for 5 games. (Battlezone and Defender and some pinball machines). This greatly aided our practice and skill.

Million+ scores on Defender were UK champion class (there were competitions around).

My favourite ever game was Taito's Flying Shark. A 2D scroller variant of '1942'.

All available on MAME etc.

I try my hand every now and again, but I am knocking 50yrs old. Hand eye co-ordination is rubbish now.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcidVenus wrote: »
    Saw this and thought you could help. I loved a couple of dizzy games on the Amiga. I didn't realise there was so many, so thought you could help me find at least one of them.

One of the ones I played I remember at the start you had to pick up a leaf and a match to burn a door down before you could go anywhere.

I don't remember much of another one as I may be mixing 2 together in my head. Which one is your fave BTW?

It would be treasure island dizzy but it was too hard with the dying underwater when you dropped something...so probably prince of yolk folk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite ever game was Taito's Flying Shark. A 2D scroller variant of '1942'.

All available on MAME etc.

I try my hand every now and again, but I am knocking 50yrs old. Hand eye co-ordination is rubbish now.

Looks good. I'll add that to my MAME collection. What's your high score ?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could go round the clock (ie complete all levels) and then it starts again and I could do say 10 more levels before collapsing with exhaustion. I forget what score that was.

(about 3/4 hour hammering away at the fire button).

If you die and lose your bonus firepower at an advanced stage, it is almost impossible to recover.

The baddies move in the same way every time you play, so you learn by rote how to move safely and what order to shoot things and collect bonuses.

Saying that, it is not a boring game (IMO) and very difficult. I didn't like 1942 a tenth as much.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=youtube+taito+flying+shark
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent a fortune downloading older games from the Wii store. I still go back to play games such as those from the Nes or Master system, commodore 64 and the like. For me, nowadays, too many games are all about the graphics and have very little in the way of game play.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed Gameroom ... Bought all 14 packs then microsoft decided 2 abandon it ... Leaving us with a knackered app that constantly crashes. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Gameroom ... Bought all 14 packs then microsoft decided 2 abandon it ... Leaving us with a knackered app that constantly crashes. :mad:

God, tell me about it. That sucked so much. Could of been brilliant, the emulation was a bit off and the packs were overpriced. The concert of setting challenges for people on your friends list was perfect. They should of commuted to the idea and saw it though. Capcom now bringing out a classic arcade hub for both PSN and XBLA which will be similar in theory and will feature a lot of their earlier titles. Strider is expected to be one of them! :)

Nice to see someone mention Flying Shark, a really brutal vert shmup but it's one of the best of it's era. I love it so much. The Speccy got a great conversion too. (Also enjoy the C64 version but not many people do)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find myself wanting to start collenting for the megadrive again the disney platformers were brilliant back in the day. The arcade shooters were amazing as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Find myself wanting to start collenting for the megadrive again the disney platformers were brilliant back in the day. The arcade shooters were amazing as well.

Thought about that myself. The shooters alone are worth it.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0lly wrote: »
    I love buying and playing retro games. I'm probably more into retro stuff than modern gaming now.

starfox, stunt race fx etc, hope we get these soon
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could go round the clock (ie complete all levels) and then it starts again and I could do say 10 more levels before collapsing with exhaustion. I forget what score that was.

(about 3/4 hour hammering away at the fire button).

If you die and lose your bonus firepower at an advanced stage, it is almost impossible to recover.

The baddies move in the same way every time you play, so you learn by rote how to move safely and what order to shoot things and collect bonuses.

Saying that, it is not a boring game (IMO) and very difficult. I didn't like 1942 a tenth as much.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=youtube+taito+flying+shark

That game looks very similar to one of my favourites of that era called Tokio - Scramble Formation. It had a great soundtrack for the time especially the level of bass, which was quite a novelty to have in those days.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Giv3PQb6LT8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem I have is where I live in London there really is no retro gaming shops anymore. I used to like finding bargains out in the wild. Only way to get any classics now is Ebay or Amazon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »

Pity there wasn't more classics collections from the MD era. I bought Sega's ultimate collection as there are some excellent games on the disc :)
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder Boy in Monster Land - possibly the best game ever. In fact all of the Wonder Boy games.....

I still have my Mega Drive somewhere - wonder if I can get it hooked up to my TV - baring in mind it has a skart....!