Options

why did they write the bit about Donna forgetting about the doctor?

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
This sort of question usually gets two answers.
One type which repeats the plot, and the other type points out it is a work of fiction.
ie
"her brain could not cope with ...."
or
"its a work of FICTION! ffs, they can write WHATEVER they like :rolleyes:"

So I know the plot, and I know its "made up", but usually when stuff happens its for plot developmednt, entertainment, budgetory reasons, actors personal circumstances etc etc etc

With the whole chunck of "Donna, must never know, she must NEVER know". It seemed to be going up a dead end plot wise, and although there was entertainment in the "human element"/tragedy of it, there was little pay off for a major event to have occurred. Obviously it led to the great line along the lines of "doctor, who is going to look after you? ", but the mechanism to get them there seemed massive overkill.

Comments

• Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    One type which repeats the plot, and the other type points out it is a work of fiction.
    ie
    or

So I know the plot, and I know its "made up", but usually when stuff happens its for plot developmednt, entertainment, budgetory reasons, actors personal circumstances etc etc etc

With the whole chunck of "Donna, must never know, she must NEVER know". It seemed to be going up a dead end plot wise, and although there was entertainment in the "human element"/tragedy of it, there was little pay off for a major event to have occurred. Obviously it led to the great line along the lines of "doctor, who is going to look after you? ", but the mechanism to get them there seemed massive overkill.

It was written to provide an emotional denouement. She will never remember the best side of herself, the greatest things she did or the most amazing things she saw. And she's lost her best friend.

Plus it's a way of explaining her never seeing the Doctor again without killing her off.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    It was written to provide an emotional denouement. She will never remember the best side of herself, the greatest things she did or the most amazing things she saw. And she's lost her best friend.

Plus it's a way of explaining her never seeing the Doctor again without killing her off.

This. And it's arguably crueler than killing her off. What is annoying is the melodramatic lead up to it with the repetition that someone would die...and then the most annoying of hand offs with the Doctor's line of: That part of her is dead. STOP TELLING US PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE IF THEY'RE REALLY NOT. (That goes for you too Moff)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    But someone really did die. Four episodes later the 10th Doctor died.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ie
    or

If Donna did remember about the Doctor, what might happen, would she look for the Doctor like Rose did? would each past companion look for the Doctor or just wait for the Doctor to turn up like Sarah Jane would often do.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With both Rose and Donna, RTD really went for the hubris of a companion loving her travels with the Doctor and never wanting the adventure to end. In both cases, the companion was written as being so unlikely to ever leave the Doctor of her own accord that a big plot device had to be concocted to explain the departure.

Having said that, memory wipes and getting trapped in parallel universes were still much better reasons to leave than "I've fallen in love with a supporting character I've only known for five minutes" used several times in the classic series.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    If Donna did remember about the Doctor, what might happen, would she look for the Doctor like Rose did? would each past companion look for the Doctor or just wait for the Doctor to turn up like Sarah Jane would often do.

Well, if she did remember the Doctor she wouldn't have left. As someone else said, it was only something drastic like the memory wipe or death that would have someone like Donna leave the Doctor because she loved the travels so much.

She never saw herself as anything special, her travels with the Doctor gave her a purpose. Now, she went back to that simple life not getting to remember any of it and how important she really was.

OT a little, I really liked Donna's story arc and character development and so will ALWAYS detest how RTD suddenly had her save the day by flicking a few buttons and throwing a few one liners at the Daleks because he couldn't think of anything better. Spoiled an otherwise good finale.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanne1938 wrote: »
    But someone really did die. Four episodes later the 10th Doctor died.

True but we were told a companion was going to die. There's a difference between an in show prophecy telling us a companion will die and the Doctor having to regenerate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ie
    or

Because they needed to write Donna out and decided to go for a tragic ending, without the character actually dying. You have to admit, it was a new reason for a companion to leave the Tardis, that had not been used before.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    OT a little, I really liked Donna's story arc and character development and so will ALWAYS detest how RTD suddenly had her save the day by flicking a few buttons and throwing a few one liners at the Daleks because he couldn't think of anything better. Spoiled an otherwise good finale.

Same. She was fantastic in Turn Left, and then I found the finale a bit cringey.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I didn't much like the whole Donna can never remember thing. It seemed to fall apart by the simple fact, that Sylvia observed, that the whole world was talking about the events of The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Sorry I just don't buy the whole "It will just be another of those Donna Noble stories."

I get the emotional context, that she won't remember the greatest things that have happened to her, but the danger to her if she remembers is all thrown away in The End of Time with the fail-safe The Doctor had apparently implanted in her so she won't die if she remembers. Huh?