Wii U

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you get a brand new HD console only to not use a HDMI lead:confused:, cant see for one minute how a component lead would gives better results whatsoever, correct me if I am wrong but you cant get HD using a component lead.

I'm using my component lead for my Wii U. I got it for my Wii when it first came out so I could have it in 480p, now I can use it for my Wii U in 720p. It looks just as crisp as if I was using a HDMI lead. No complaints from this end. Free's up the amount of HDMI leads I've got plugged in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    I'm using my component lead for my Wii U. I got it for my Wii when it first came out so I could have it in 480p, now I can use it for my Wii U in 720p. It looks just as crisp as if I was using a HDMI lead. No complaints from this end. Free's up the amount of HDMI leads I've got plugged in.

But 720p is not 1080p, there has to be a difference as the pixels your seeing on screen is less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But 720p is not 1080p, there has to be a difference as the pixels your seeing on screen is less.

I don't have a 1080p TV. I've had it for a couple of years, at some point next year I'll be getting a Smart TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a 1080p TV. I've had it for a couple of years, at some point next year I'll be getting a Smart TV.

OK, in your case you have no choice but my point is really for people who have a HDTV as to why they would not use a HDMI lead as surely 1080p has to be better res than 720p
  • samtmansamtman Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can all games be played on the wii u gamepad. Such as original wii nintendo shop downloads like Snes games.
  • RoyceRoyce Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I heard that regular Wii stuff can't be played on the Game Pad. Haven't tried it myself though. The steps for transfering Wii data to the Wii U sound like a bit of a nightmare. I also read that once you transfer data/games to your Wii U you can't use it on your Wii.

I think I'll just keep my regular Wii to hand for the time being.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, in your case you have no choice but my point is really for people who have a HDTV as to why they would not use a HDMI lead as surely 1080p has to be better res than 720p
    Even so, 720p Component looks worse than 720p HDMI!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »

Tried both, doesn't make any difference to me. I'm using the component for the time being, it free's up more HDMI ports :D
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samtman wrote: »
    Can all games be played on the wii u gamepad. Such as original wii nintendo shop downloads like Snes games.

No Wii/virtual console games can be played on the gamepad. That's likely due to a) the extra effort needed, b) the rampant piracy on Wii (they don't want to open up the gamepad to pirates/hackers....not intentionally anyway:D).

I expect there will be a proper Wii U virtual console within a few months (fingers crossed Nintendo might allow those who legitimately downloaded virtual console games on the Wii to get Wii U virtual console titles for free/a reduced price...but I doubt it).
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Royce wrote: »
    I heard that regular Wii stuff can't be played on the Game Pad. Haven't tried it myself though. The steps for transfering Wii data to the Wii U sound like a bit of a nightmare. I also read that once you transfer data/games to your Wii U you can't use it on your Wii.I think I'll just keep my regular Wii to hand for the time being.

yep, that's true. You can only have your account on 1 console at a time. Although it's worth noting that Wii games do look better on the Wii U on a HD tv so it's worth the transfer for that reason.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really?

I would be interested in how you came up with this assumption.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think most would agree using HDMI has to be superior to component in everyway. My view is if someone has a HDMI device and connects it up via component then they should seriously be looking at the reasons why they are doing that. I would never connect any HDMI device up with anything other than a HDMI lead certainly not a device that is outputting HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think most would agree using HDMI has to be superior to component in everyway. My view is if someone has a HDMI device and connects it up via component then they should seriously be looking at the reasons why they are doing that. I would never connect any HDMI device up with anything other than a HDMI lead certainly not a device that is outputting HD.

At 720p, HDMI being better than component is more myth than fact.

It depends on the setup and component is often better especially on many older plasma TVs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hold on, I thought it was your friend who had the Wii U? Are you actually confessing to owning one now? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Really?

I would be interested in how you came up with this assumption.
    By plugging in my PS3 with HDMI and then Component.

Component was blurry, not as sharp as HDMI and colouring was a bit washed, though colouring of course can be adjusted.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine on thursday, messed about with it quite a bit but hardly played any software.

Zombi:U seems great from what i've played. The internet browser on the tablet screen is pretty quick and i love that i can use it as a TV remote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By plugging in my PS3 with HDMI and then Component.

Component was blurry, not as sharp as HDMI and colouring was a bit washed, though colouring of course can be adjusted.

For your setup maybe, but it could easily be the other way round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hold on, I thought it was your friend who had the Wii U? Are you actually confessing to owning one now? :rolleyes:

Where the hell have I said I have a wii U:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It depends on the setup and component is often better especially on many older plasma TVs.

One reason I wont buy a plasma then;)
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i may play skyward sword again on the Wii u:)
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

Certainly a lot of misunderstandings when it comes to HDMI that's for sure - main misunderstand is, assuming digital is always going to be better, definitely not the case.

Always best to try both connections as it's not down to the cables but the source and display.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For your setup maybe, but it could easily be the other way round.
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Certainly a lot of misunderstandings when it comes to HDMI that's for sure - main misunderstand is, assuming digital is always going to be better, definitely not the case.

Always best to try both connections as it's not down to the cables but the source and display.

Well, even Sony agrees that HDMI is best.
    For connecting PlayStation 3 to compatible High Definition televisions, the Component AV Cable is second only to the HDMI Cable.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/peripherals/detail/item48490/Component-AV-Cable/
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

As far as I know the PS3 does not support HD over component now, so HDMI will of course be the better choice.

HDMI would also be the better choice for Bluray too as it carries HD audio, even if component could be used you'd be limited with optical and 5.1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

Indeed, you shouldn't just assume HDMI is better as it isn't always the case especially if your talking about an older 720p TV like the OP is.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Well I know from my own experience that regardless of what companies say, you're gonna be very hard pushed to notice any difference in picture quality between an HDMI and Component input at 720p.

It's really only the colour space that's different (limited range with component and full range with HDMI). On paper HDMI certainly has the advantage, at least for HDTV's that can process it's full range but 95% of people either don't care or won't notice and it's of very little consequence to anyone but videophiles. You can adjust your TV settings to accommodate the difference in black levels so there's very little in it. Besides, most people don't even have their set anything close to properly calibrated to enable them to notice the difference in the first place.