Windows Blue first look

124»

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Have lost the plot in your view, a view not backed up by everybody thankfully.

Of cause it is my view, but thankfully I am not the only person who thinks so, not that it will make any difference.
    A computer at home is only a gadget, all its ever been if you think about it. Go back 25 years and people got the 'family computer' and people would go off and do courses in DTP etc and would print off birthday cards etc.

People was more creative then, they would even make a small personal website, something that have gone because people just use facebook/twitter. People message me on facebook instead of using email, that really annoys me.
    Now most people just want a machine to access the likes of facebook and twitter, do some emails, skype, video calls etc.

Because they are too lazy to learn something.
    They want a machine that looks and acts like a big version of their smartphone. Operating systems like W8 are what the future holds and will look like.

i hope not, because if it is then the future for computing is naff.
    You will need faster processors and more ram as people want fast and smooth access to their programmes.

If the apps that windows 8 is anything to go by, then the high speed processors and memory is not required. the few i have seen would work on a single core 1Ghz machine with about a gig of ram.

More memory allows more apps to be opened at the same time, something that can not be done with the metro ui.
    Noise, your what we call in Wales a 'potcher' you like to potch about with things, tinker about if you like but most folks aren't like that. Threads like this on forums like this attract 'potchers' but are not a true reflection of the masses.

Not so much these days, I just want a machine that will do what I want, maybe that is why I am looking at a Mac again. i am getting fed up of stuff not working as it should on a windows machine because of the different combinations of hardware.

i took the covers off my desktop yesterday for the first time for a couple of months, but only to clean the fan filters, which I forgot to do when I installed the new video card.

There was a time when I used to update the whole machine every 12 months, then it went to 2 years, now this machine is over two years apart from the video card and I only replaced that because I thought it would speed up the rendering on my video.

i don't want to muck around with it any more, I was asked last week to have a look at a computer someone was having problems with, I refused and told them to take it to a computer repair shop. i did sort out someones Dell laptop in the week, but that was just a simple re-install of vista, what a combination vista, Dell and a celeron.

As I said I been looking at a Apple Mac, the only problem with a MAc is that it uses Intel.
    I noticed you were away a while, did you go on holiday?

Nope, not been on holiday.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Because they are too lazy to learn something."

Computers have changed, no need to learn much to get the results people want these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Because they are too lazy to learn something."

you hit the nail on the head, but then people are getting lazy these days, they want someone else to do their shopping, they want remote controls for everything and they need to use their cars just to go down the road.
    Computers have changed, no need to learn much to get the results people want these days.

What results? just being nosy on facebook and playing stupid little flash games.

As i said, no creativity these days.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    you hit the nail on the head, but then people are getting lazy these days, they want someone else to do their shopping, they want remote controls for everything and they need to use their cars just to go down the road. As to stupid things like flash games? Some are excellent teaching tools for children and other games like chess and backgammon I love to play online against others so instead of taking a chess set, backgammon set or even a deck of cards on my trips I can play online :)

What results? just being nosy on facebook and playing stupid little flash games.

As i said, no creativity these days.

The 'getting lazy' was a quote from you. You need to face the fact that the primary use for home computers has changed. How creative were people even a decade ago using a PC at home? Your old enough to remember things like the CLAIT courses and mom and dad would go off to night school and learn how to type a letter or other basic stuff that in reality they had no real need of.

Email was a real leap forward in home computing, no more posting a letter to a chum in Australia and maybe getting a reply a month later, now you could 'post' and email and have a reply within hours.

When affordable scanners came along you could send pictures of your new family member et al to pals all over the UK and the world and it was instant.

Affordable digital camera's then started the slippery slope to oblivion for many 'real' camera's, point, click, transfer, attach to email and post and your friends and family got your photo instantly.

Think about it noise and a laptop/tablet/smartphone can do all of that really so unless you have a real interest in say photography, video video editing etc at home you don't need more so why on earth would people need to learn anything more? Its not being lazy its more just using the tools you need.

I run some business software because I have a business so still use data base, spread sheet and WP software, the other stuff like photo/video and ham radio software just cater to my hobbies.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    Going back to a Windows 7 laptop or desktop is a breath of fresh air.
    That's the real problem.

Linux user here, yet I think Win 7 got it right - so right I enjoy using it. Such a shame they shot themselves in the foot.

The latest Thinkpads offer Win 7 as an option - for serious users that speaks volumes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'getting lazy' was a quote from you. You need to face the fact that the primary use for home computers has changed. How creative were people even a decade ago using a PC at home? Your old enough to remember things like the CLAIT courses and mom and dad would go off to night school and learn how to type a letter or other basic stuff that in reality they had no real need of.

How do you know they had no real need for it? there again a decade ago it was all about stopping BSOD, or mybe it was a bit longer than that.
    Email was a real leap forward in home computing, no more posting a letter to a chum in Australia and maybe getting a reply a month later, now you could 'post' and email and have a reply within hours.

When affordable scanners came along you could send pictures of your new family member et al to pals all over the UK and the world and it was instant.

I still like to send and receive letters, i got a pen pal in the states and while we both on facebook and have emails we still send letters now and again.
    The difference is my hand writing is so bad I normally type it.
    Affordable digital camera's then started the slippery slope to oblivion for many 'real' camera's, point, click, transfer, attach to email and post and your friends and family got your photo instantly.

even worse now with phones having better cameras, just take the picture and there it is on facebook in seconds, ok minutes.
    Think about it noise and a laptop/tablet/smartphone can do all of that really so unless you have a real interest in say photography, video video editing etc at home you don't need more so why on earth would people need to learn anything more? Its not being lazy its more just using the tools you need.

Bigger screen is better, to work on for a start, squinting over a tiny screen all the time can't be good for your eyes. also people don't know what they may get into unless they try it.

Get a tablet and smartphone and all you do is the limited stuff that they do, get a proper computer and you can do other things you may not think about doing at first.
    I run some business software because I have a business so still use data base, spread sheet and WP software, the other stuff like photo/video and ham radio software just cater to my hobbies.

i have not had any need to use a database for years, I do use a spreadsheet just for my home accounts and WP software to write letters, but even then I can't imagine using them on a tablet.

i do understand what you are saying and to be honest it is not the sort of future i would like to see, I am not bothered about having a massive case, i just need the power, a decent keyboard, mouse and monitor, something tablets can't do.

My phone my have a quad core, but no way can it render HD video at the speed my desktop can.
    One day it will come, but not yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Linux user here, yet I think Win 7 got it right - so right I enjoy using it. Such a shame they shot themselves in the foot.

The latest Thinkpads offer Win 7 as an option - for serious users that speaks volumes.

You got the same thoughts as a mate of mine who have been a Linux user for years, saying that he still don't bother with a graphical user interface much, but he said that windows 7 was good, but now Ms have mucked things up.

I suppose he is really old school and he thinks this Wimp stuff is for wimps :) i gone past the days of wanting to type commands in to make things work to be honest, I had that with my Amiga. i just want computers to do what I tell them to do instead of just looking at me as if I am not here.

About 20 mins ago, I got Vegas to pre-render a video clip, it should only take ten mins if that and now it just came up with a error saying there is no room on the disk, why take 20 mins to decide that anyway?

Vegas is normally pretty good, but it does have a silly fit now and again. i do wish there was a decent video editor in linux.
  • Tinky-WinkyTinky-Winky Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Microsoft's Windows Blue looks to be named Windows 8.1

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-blue-looks-to-be-named-windows-8-1-7000013391/

TW
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hi,

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-blue-looks-to-be-named-windows-8-1-7000013391/

TW

HA! It's like Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1 all over again and of course 3.1 turned out to be the better OS :D
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

TW
    So it's called both version 8.1 and 6.3, which of course is in no way confusing.

I have always maintained that the MS Marketing department is run by idiots.

Edit: I don't need a long explanation of internal version numbers, thanks. I understand it, but I don't see how the general public is supposed to.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    So it's called both version 8.1 and 6.3, which of course is in no way confusing.

I have always maintained that the MS Marketing department is run by idiots.

Edit: I don't need a long explanation of internal version numbers, thanks. I understand it, but I don't see how the general public is supposed to.

I really think Microsoft is losing the plot.

Interesting that Dell is being brought back by the founder Michael Dell. The rumour is that he is possibly seeing a non Microsoft desktop world
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »

Again. I am glad i am not the only one to think so.
    Interesting that Dell is being brought back by the founder Michael Dell. The rumour is that he is possibly seeing a non Microsoft desktop world

That would be great as long as they make it so it got a decent desktop and we can run decent software. The problem is getting the software.

Linux is great, but for many people it is a pain in the neck to get drivers on there and software.

Ok so ubuntu have made it easier, but not all are that straight forward. software also needs to be better, some are great, take Scribus for example. Others are not so good, look at video editing and even photo manipulation. I know gimp have been around for a while, but with all it's windows being on the desktop it can get confusing.

i don't expect free software to be up to the standards of say Photoshop or sony Vegas, but they need to be usable and if they are up to a high standard i would not mind paying for them.

i been waiting for a long time for a alternative to windows that will stilll alow me to use the hardware I want, but it is still not available, maybe if a company the size of Dell gets behind something things may change, but i can't see it myself.

There is one problem, I think most of Dell hardware is naff.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »

Microsoft is one of the investors in his deal - they would loan Silver Lake a couple of billion dollars.

http://www.cio.co.uk/news/r-and-d/michael-dell-gets-155bn-backing-buy-back-company-he-founded/