Dermot O'Leary wants to make it big in Hollywood

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"Former X Factor host Dermot O’Leary is hoping to carve out a new career in Hollywood.

Sources close to the presenter, who quit the ITV series last week after eight years, say he has dreamed of working in the US for years and is looking for an agent there.

The move would also mean Dermot, 41, sees more of wife Dee Koppang, a TV *producer and director who spends a lot of time Stateside.

A friend told the Sunday People: “He would be loved there.

“Dermot knows it is a tough market but it is something he is looking into seriously. He knows he has to get a US agent first."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/dermot-oleary-heading-hollywood-fulfil-5502382

Could he make it over there?

Comments

• Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dermot wife works a lot in US so lets make up a story about him wanting to work there!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dermot's presenting skills aren't exactly very natural. He looks like he's trying to audition for the job every time he starts speaking. He's not very relaxed. The words 'trying to hard' certainly apply to him when he's presenting. Good look to him anyway.
  • LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Dermot's presenting skills aren't exactly very natural. He looks like he's trying to audition for the job every time he starts speaking. He's not very relaxed. The words 'trying to hard' certainly apply to him when he's presenting. Good look to him anyway.

Cat Deeley's not exactly natural, but that doesn't seem to have done her any harm in the US.
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think he could do really well there. He has a great body of presenting behind him, plus he's very likeable and very professional. Best of luck to him if that's his plan.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think he could do really well there. He has a great body of presenting behind him, plus he's very likeable and very professional. Best of luck to him if that's his plan.

Seconded. :)
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I personally don't think he will make it big over there.

But good luck to him anyway.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's a dreadful presenter. If it keeps him off our screens though, I wish him all the luck in the world.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, good luck with that, Dermot. It's not like America isn't bursting with home-grown talent.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I think he's a dreadful presenter. If it keeps him off our screens though, I wish him all the luck in the world.

That's exactly what I thought!

He's a terrible presenter, so forced and wooden, America are welcome to him!

O'Dreary could always get some tips on making it from Shobna Gulati :D
    Forum Member
    Steve Jones failed miserably in the US. I think Dermot will suffer the same fate.

Speaking of Steve Jones, what is he doing these days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »

Signing on?
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Signing on?

:D:D:D
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a couple of years ago when he was being considered as the host of The X Factor USA, a job he would ultimately lose out to Steve Jones. We all know how that turned out :D

Perhaps Cat Deely and James Corden could give a helping hand?
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    Steve Jones failed miserably in the US. I think Dermot will suffer the same fate.

Co-Presenting a cookery show on Saturday morning with Lisa Snowden (Weekend Kitchen with Waitrose) last time I saw him.

Vernon Kay's US attempt bombed as well (Skating With the Stars)

Dermot may do better though as he has the Estuary English accent they seem to like over there....
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    His main "talent" is the ability to read out telephone numbers and web addresses very quickly. Given the Estuary English accent I doubt that that this would work quite as well in the 'States
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzyroz wrote: »
    Cat Deeley's not exactly natural, but that doesn't seem to have done her any harm in the US.

Cat Deeley didn't behave as if she was auditioning for the job every time she was on the stage.
  • CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Dermot and think he is one of the more intelligent and likeable presenters out there. Good luck to him in whatever he does.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »

Absolutely this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    I like Dermot and think he is one of the more intelligent and likeable presenters out there. Good luck to him in whatever he does.

Sending people to sleep mostly.
  • Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What skills does he actually have to bring to the Hollywood table? He can't act or sing or dance or anything, he's just an ordinary-looking 40-year-old British bloke who stands on a stage wearing the same Norman Wisdom suits he was wearing 10 years ago and reads off an autocue or says things like "Come on Louis I need an answer".

The only thing he's actually "good" at is summoning up seemingly genuine enthusiasm for displays of lip-synching by over-hyped celebrity guests on the X Factor results show.

Why would America need to import someone to do that?
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    "Make it big in Hollywood"

What does that actually mean? In what? Acting? (Can he act? Even then they have 1000s of people there hanging around waiting for a break that is never coming) Or presenting? (Yes they film a few TV game/quiz shows in the greater Hollywood area, but they usually go for an older American family friendly presenter)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Make it big in Hollywood"

What does that actually mean?

Is there a McDonalds in Hollywood?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pedro wrote: »
    His main "talent" is the ability to read out telephone numbers and web addresses very quickly. Given the Estuary English accent I doubt that that this would work quite as well in the 'States

He definitely doesn't seem relaxed when presenting.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't a story like this come out pretty much every single time a UK TV personality quits their job?
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    It didn't work out so well for Vernon Kaye.

It might be different for Dermott however because it's easy to understand his accent.

...He's left it a bit late though.