Pauline Quirke

Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
Forum Member
Pauline is enormous again. What is going on. She did a huge campaign for LiterLite and was constantly on our TV screens, then everything went quiet and now we know why. She has regained every pound. So much for for the diet plan!! Has anyone used this diet out there in DS Land, have you regained every pound??

Comments

• robwillsmithrobwillsmith Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    That's the trouble with those kinds of fad diets. It's easy to loose the weight but your not learning where you went wrong before. Last year I lost 4 1/2 stone last year by changing my eating habits and counting calories. I know so many people doing those kind of diets and they just don't work.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just lighter life. I have friends who have lost at slimming world, weightwatchers and all have put the weight back on (and more!) I lost loads two years ago on 5 .2 and then the holidays arrived and then yep weight went back on . The problem is we get fat because we eat too much ( in most cases!) so really you can't go back to eating the way you did and that's the problem!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    She went on a starvation diet and lost loads, then started eating again and got fat. There is no quick fix for long term weight loss.
  • ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She looks better with a bit more weight the same as the guy off the Hangover who looks awful thin imho.

I think the key to weight loss is untangling your relationship with food and what it offers you emotionally.
  • ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And although I have no idea what is going on in Broadchurch she is menacing in it :)

Is she a smoker in real life?
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of these very low calorie diet plans, everyone I know who has lost a shedload of weight by restricting their calorie intake, has regained the weight lost within a year or so. A girl at work lost over 8 stone!! Amazing transformation. But she's put it all back on again. I don't think it is healthy to lose so much then gain it all back so quickly. It must mess up your metabolism.

Pauline is no different, and I think she's a fabulous actress, fat or thin. As long as she's happy, it doesn't matter a jot whether she's a size 8 or a size 18.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best way to lose weight- 'true' weight- is slowly and steadily. Might take longer but the results last longer. People who lose a lot of weight in the short term need to accept it will be regained unless you carry on heavily restricting calorie intake.

ETA: I love Pauline, no matter what size she is.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ARYM wrote: »
    She looks better with a bit more weight the same as the guy off the Hangover who looks awful thin imho.

I think the key to weight loss is untangling your relationship with food and what it offers you emotionally.

I saw that guy in the paper yesterday and he still looks overweight but worse if you know what I mean.

It's when you go saggy and baggy and look old that you have lost too much. Pauline did look quite old when she lost all the weight at first.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    I saw that guy in the paper yesterday and he still looks overweight but worse if you know what I mean.

It's when you go saggy and baggy and look old that you have lost too much. Pauline did look quite old when she lost all the weight at first.

I reckon she more or less looked her age when she lost the weight. I think we get used to these very overweight celebs looking younger in the face because of the fat. Dawn French is another one who got accused of looking "older" when she lost a lot of weight. She didn't look old, she looked like a woman in her fifties.

As all are saying, the only way forward is to change your relationship with food completely. I've yet to meet anyone who has managed to maintain significant weight loss in the long term on faddy diets.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way to keep the weight off is to make a permanent change to eating habits. These lose weight fast diets are never going to work long-term.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ARYM wrote: »
    And although I have no idea what is going on in Broadchurch she is menacing in it :)

Is she a smoker in real life?

I believe both her and Linda Robson are real-life smokers, yes
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    It's not just lighter life. I have friends who have lost at slimming world, weightwatchers and all have put the weight back on (and more!) I lost loads two years ago on 5 .2 and then the holidays arrived and then yep weight went back on . The problem is we get fat because we eat too much ( in most cases!) so really you can't go back to eating the way you did and that's the problem!!

That's because they have fallen back Into to their old ways and not continued with their new healthier way of cooking and eating.

Diets like Cambridge Diet, lighter life, slimfast etc are no good at all because nobody can live for the rest of their lives on liquids and little bars. This is what's happened to Pauline Quirke.

I know a woman who went on Lighter Life and lost about 6 stones in order to have a hip operation. They refused to do it until she lost weight. She was adamant that she would then eat sensibly and keep the weight off. She had the op and started eating normal foods again and got the taste back for all the foods she missed and the weight was all back on plus more in no time at all.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    That's because they have fallen back Into to their old ways and not continued with their new healthier way of cooking and eating.

Diets like Cambridge Diet, lighter life, slimfast etc are no good at all because nobody can live for the rest of their lives on liquids and little bars. This is what's happened to Pauline Quirke.

I know a woman who went on Lighter Life and lost about 6 stones in order to have a hip operation. They refused to do it until she lost weight. She was adamant that she would then eat sensibly and keep the weight off. She had the op and started eating normal foods again and got the taste back for all the foods she missed and the weight was all back on plus more in no time at all.

This. Don't understand what's so incomprehensible about it.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portion control is important.
    Less potatoes more veg like carrots and green beans.
    You don't have to go without your favourites
    Eat what you normally eat, but half the amount- you won't feel hungry after a while, you'll be used to it
    If you like daily treat, eg bar of choc,
    have it as a pudding, not between meals.
    Drink water instead of squash , sparkling water instead of coke, small changes make a difference.
    Have butter, but not thick, just a scrape. Slice cheese thinly
    You are more likely to stick to this, and eat like it as a way of life , because you can have things you want not a diet
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If these slimming companies who pay these 'slimming celebs' thousands and thousands of pounds asked for their money back when they seemingly pile it all back on, then these stars like Pauline may just keep on the diet wagon.

It's easy cash when you think about it.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    If these slimming companies who pay these 'slimming celebs' thousands and thousands of pounds asked for their money back when they seemingly pile it all back on, then these stars like Pauline may just keep on the diet wagon.

It's easy cash when you think about it.

Remember Fern Brtton and the Ryvita?:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LighterLife works in the short term - it's a quick fix and is extremely low in calories. Someone I know lost 5 stone on LL - the weight just fell off her. However, when she came to eat "proper" food again she put it all back on plus another few stones. LL does not teach you how to deal with portion control or eating for life. The daily calorie intake of LL is not sustainable for more than a few months.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I lost over two stones in 2010 and have kept it off. I used the WeightWatchers Plan. I had a hernia op in October and had to take it easy for two months and put 3lbs back on which I am shifting. For me, it is constant portion control and I weigh myself each week. In my opinion it is a lifestyle change not just a six month diet!!

I had surgery in 2009 for a non-.malignant tumour in the colon and now have scar tissue which means I can block very easily so I have to reduce fibre and fruit, certain veggies etc which has made my diet very restrictive.

Obviously, controlling my weight is a health issue for me. Lots of patients with colon/bowel problems are overweight!!
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Regarding Pauline, I am just amazed she got into an advertising campaign for a weightloss company!! It irritates me when the public are taken for idiots. We have Natalie from EastEnders going up and down in weight, always fronting some weightloss DVD or exercise plan!! I didn't think an actress like Pauline could be so easily bought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Dieting is not only the way to lose weight. Its all about diet control and mind control. If one is fully determined to lose weight and not to gain a inch after successfully losing extra fats. I have gone through an interesting article where a person use Hypnotherapy to lose weight and I can't believe that he lose 200 KGs.

Refer the article Below to know the detailed story of losing 200 KGs: http://hypnosinging.co.uk/hypnotherapy-helps-a-man-lose-200-kg/
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She may have put some weight back on but there's no way she could be truthfully described as "enormous".
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    There's a magazine out with her pic on the front saying she'd lost some weight again.

I remember saying, re Pauline, that the sort of diet she was on, with milkshakes replacing meals, that when she went back to 'normal' food again she might put weight on again - specially after the mass press lost interest, cos of course, she was always being interviewed/photographed when she first lost all that weight. That alone would have been the incentive for her to keep the weight off.

But once that went away there was always a danger weight would creep back on. I dunno how true it was, but I saw a magazine before Christmas where it said she's lost 8 stone and put 4 back on.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Regarding Pauline, I am just amazed she got into an advertising campaign for a weightloss company!! It irritates me when the public are taken for idiots. We have Natalie from EastEnders going up and down in weight, always fronting some weightloss DVD or exercise plan!! I didn't think an actress like Pauline could be so easily bought.

I remember that woman from Steps (Claire was it?) lost a lot of weight about 4 years ago. And I also remember watching a programme about her and she was shown on the day she was going to go public with her new figure and she was going through torture with excercise to lose 2lbs or something like that. She said herself it was agony, but of course when she was in front of a camera it was all about how great she felt and how easy it all was, probably!

I'm always amazed anyone buys these 'celeb' excercise DVD,'s cos a lot of them probably put weight on on purpose when it's not natural to them, so that they can con people into buying their DVD of their 'easy' way of losing weight!
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I've always thought she's looked better when she's been fatter. A thinner face didn't suit her especially when she was in Emmerdale.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Also, it's always amazed me why diets actually still exist! I mean, if anyone thinks about it logically, a diet is a temporary plan to lose weight, when you do, the diet stops, and then you go back to normal.....therein lies the problem....by going back to normal, you're reversing all the good you've just done!

I've never dieted, and hopefully I'll never have to diet, but when sometimes I've gone up a kilo or two, I'll go out running again, and that so far provides my solution.. :):)