Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 5)

Comments

• Telly TotTelly Tot Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aida wrote: »
    I was about to get annoyed with Nikhil and his obvious reluctance to tear his eyes from the lovely Alicia keeping herself fit until I noticed that the hubba had stopped stuffing fish and chips into himself like a starving refugee and was staring at the screen in the kind of rapt manner usually reserved, by knights of old, for catching a glimpse of the Holy Grail! :mad:

Maybe I should give contemptuous scorn a go? ;)
    :D:D I know what you mean Aida. It really is difficult to get angry with the other half when Alicia (or in truth, Natalie Anderson) seems to have the equivalent effect of Pavlov's Bell.:D Still, when Nikhil isn't acting like a disinterested, petulant brat, he really is knocking that whole loving, committed, respectful boyfriend thing out of the park these days isn't he?:rolleyes: To be honest, I think Gennie would be stunned that he was actually capable of being that horny without coercion... and during daylight hours!
  • Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A brilliant week for Emmerdale.

Sean and Tank were great together.

David and Nikhil as usual are a great comedy double act.

Ashley/Sandy storyline has been the best storyline out of all soaps in the last year for me so far, utterly brilliant, can't wait to see where it goes next.

Zak's storyline is very interesting and very intriguing.

Jimmy/ Nicola storyline was very fun this week.

Megan is a great casting.

Only down side this week was no Pearl, Edna or Betty, are they all on holiday together.
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Raven123 wrote: »

Ashley/Sandy storyline has been the best storyline out of all soaps in the last year for me so far, utterly brilliant, can't wait to see where it goes next.

Only down side this week was no Pearl, Edna or Betty, are they all on holiday together.

Edna has been seen in Emmerdale this week. She was in the office when Jimmy and Carl were discussing Jimmy's vasectomy.
    Forum Member
    Where has my post gone?
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter what's going on the writing for Edna, Carl and Jimmy always seems to be spot on. Whether it's Edna tearing a strip off of Mr. Carl, or Jimmy and Carl teasing Edna, I always enjoy their scenes.

And I enjoyed that scene of Ashley and Jude is it, talking about Sandy. Funny that it came about as soon as I made a post about Ashley not seeking guidance from him upstairs or one of his colleagues. But it did feel misplaced. I'd have much preferred they'd had that scene before all this started, to show a timeline of Ashley's gradual change.
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    valtimmy wrote: »
    I expect
    those two are not really acting because they are an item in real life aren't they?
    That's news to me Val :eek:

If David & Nikhil are a great comedy double act, using the same level of expert critical assessment, Laurel & Moron must be among the greatest fictional lovers too. Definitely on a par with Romeo & Juliet, Cathy & Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights and Jack & Rose in Titanic :D
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Where has my post gone?

It must have gone far, far away to 'The Land of Posts Removed for No Discernible Reason', Val!
    Don't fret about it - it won't be alone! ;)
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    No matter what's going on the writing for Edna, Carl and Jimmy always seems to be spot on. Whether it's Edna tearing a strip off of Mr. Carl, or Jimmy and Carl teasing Edna, I always enjoy their scenes.

And I enjoyed that scene of Ashley and Jude is it, talking about Sandy. Funny that it came about as soon as I made a post about Ashley not seeking guidance from him upstairs or one of his colleagues. But it did feel misplaced. I'd have much preferred they'd had that scene before all this started, to show a timeline of Ashley's gradual change.

I absolutely agree about the haulage company office scenes between the three characters you mention being enjoyable - they provide much-needed light relief.

I like Jude a lot, but I do feel that scene was clumsily shoehorned in - I suspect it was meant to leaven the horrible actions of Ashley by giving the impression that he was ashamed of the despicable way he's treating his father and was on the brink of confiding/confessing to his colleague. It might have worked if Ashley had specifically requested a visit from Jude for the purpose of seeking help - as it was, Jude had just called in on a social visit, so it came to nothing but a viewer-tease.

I honestly don't think that Blackburn, or John Middleton realise that the 'Ashley Thomas' character has now passed the point of redemption with many viewers - and I write that as one who was formerly one of his staunchest supporters. Nothing the character does or says now will ever change my mind about him - just as the Andy Sugden character was destroyed for many viewers during the wife-beating storyline, for me there's no way back for Ashley - his response of overjoyed relief to discover that he'd pulled the wool over the eyes of Adult Services made me want to strike him or throw up in disgust! :mad:

If David & Nikhil are a great comedy double act, using the same level of expert critical assessment, Laurel & Moron must be among the greatest fictional lovers too. Definitely on a par with Romeo & Juliet, Cathy & Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights and Jack & Rose in Titanic :D

Don't, Musty - you might be giving Blackburn ideas - your idle fancy might result in Moron and Laurel going on a stolen and secret day-trip to Scarborough and treating themselves to pedalo ride in Peasholme Park - a ride which ends in disaster when their vessel strikes an ice-berg - or one of the miniature naval vessels which feature in 'The Battle of the River Plate'!:eek:

Just imagine Laurel, sprawled across the hull of the pedalo, clutching Moron's hand and sobbing, "I'll never let go, Marlon, I'll never let go!" then feeling his hand slip out of hers as the water closes over his head.

Mind you, the effect might be spoiled when his feet touch the bottom and he stands up, festooned in pond-weed and squelches to to the side and safety! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member

I can't say I find the Nicola/Jimmy storyline fun ~ once again they've reduced Nicola to little more than a sneering, selfish bully and I just don't find that amusing.

I'm enjoying Turner's interaction with Sean. I've never really given either character much thought but their scenes together made them both more likeable for me this week. And it is nice that another one of the 'oldies' is getting a bit of a run :)

Nikhil always seems a bit more at relaxed and even playful when he's around David and I think it would be nice if they'd explore and develop that particular friendship a little more.

And I do miss Pearl :(
  • dobby's bludgerdobby's bludger Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    []
    It must have gone far, far away to 'The Land of Posts Removed for No Discernible Reason', Val!
    Don't fret about it - it won't be alone! ;)

I absolutely agree about the haulage company office scenes between the three characters you mention being enjoyable - they provide much-needed light relief.

I like Jude a lot, but I do feel that scene was clumsily shoehorned in - I suspect it was meant to leaven the horrible actions of Ashley by giving the impression that he was ashamed of the despicable way he's treating his father and was on the brink of confiding/confessing to his colleague. It might have worked if Ashley had specifically requested a visit from Jude for the purpose of seeking help - as it was, Jude had just called in on a social visit, so it came to nothing but a viewer-tease.

I honestly don't think that Blackburn, or John Middleton realise that the 'Ashley Thomas' character has now passed the point of redemption with many viewers - and I write that as one who was formerly one of his staunchest supporters. Nothing the character does or says now will ever change my mind about him - just as the Andy Sugden character was destroyed for many viewers during the wife-beating storyline, for me there's no way back for Ashley - his response of overjoyed relief to discover that he'd pulled the wool over the eyes of Adult Services made me want to strike him or throw up in disgust! :mad:

Don't, Musty - you might be giving Blackburn ideas - your idle fancy might result in Moron and Laurel going on a stolen and secret day-trip to Scarborough and treating themselves to pedalo ride in Peasholme Park - a ride which ends in disaster when their vessel strikes an ice-berg - or one of the miniature naval vessels which feature in 'The Battle of the River Plate'!:eek:

Just imagine Laurel, sprawled across the hull of the pedalo, clutching Moron's hand and sobbing, "I'll never let go, Marlon, I'll never let go!" then feeling his hand slip out of hers as the water closes over his head.
    Mind you, the effect might be spoiled when his feet touch the bottom and he stands up, festooned in pond-weed and squelches to to the side and safety! ;)

this is funny but the thought of it makes me sick:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The word nuance seems to have blighted my life in the last week, I am a reviewer of my library's new books. There I was reading late last night, when for some unknown reason the word romance became nuance, I shook my head and reread the paragraph again and realised my mistake and decided enough was enough and went to sleep, only to awake this morning to continue reading (an excellent book by the way) the word nausea also became nuance, I then realised that I had even dropped the bl**dy word in yesterday afternoon, when myself and a few friends assembled for tea, cakes and gossip. I have to get out more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AllieSA wrote: »
    I can't say I find the Nicola/Jimmy storyline fun ~ once again they've reduced Nicola to little more than a sneering, selfish bully and I just don't find that amusing.

Ive got to agree this is proab due to my undying hatred for the character of Nicola but i have found Jimmy and Carl's scene's very amusing indeed!

Ive just caught up with last night episode and almost had a heart attack of actually seeing David and Nikhill having a scene together we need more of this stuff they seem to do no wrong in my eyes for good old fashion fun stuff that the show badley needs but seeing as the current PTB dont seem to relise this case i suppose we'll have to wait until October to get there next scene's with each other! :rolleyes:;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is good to know, you will also be pleased to know that there are people on the HO's thread that are enjoying that particular soap
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting ever more concerned about the Nikhil/Genneh situation. They spent most of last year getting together, since when we have barely seen either of them. They were young and in love and could have some nice scenes together, to counterbalance all the usual ED doom and gloom. But nothing. Now we see Nikhil leering at Alicia. I am sure Genneh is a right little raver behind closed doors, so why isn't he leering at her?

If they don't do something soon, we are going to totally forget they are a couple at all. Fgs, they should develop the Nikhil OCD sl or eating disorder, whatever it is. Just DO SOMETHING with them, ED! :mad:
  • soapfan1982soapfan1982 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I wonder how long Turner and Betty will be in the show as the actors have not been in the greatest health so have had to have shorter time. Amazing that Turner was once a pompous, womanising bully in the 1980s.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how long Turner and Betty will be in the show as the actors have not been in the greatest health so have had to have shorter time. Amazing that Turner was once a pompous, womanising bully in the 1980s.

It's always sad to lose long-standing characters like these, who tend to underpin the whole prog. But why oh why haven't ED given them more to do while they're still there. They never get decent sls any more. The only thing they've found for Alan Turner to do is help Seanocchio with his homework. Fgs, Alan is capable of so much more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I am getting ever more concerned about the Nikhil/Genneh situation. They spent most of last year getting together, since when we have barely seen either of them. They were young and in love and could have some nice scenes together, to counterbalance all the usual ED doom and gloom. But nothing. Now we see Nikhil leering at Alicia. I am sure Genneh is a right little raver behind closed doors, so why isn't he leering at her?

If they don't do something soon, we are going to totally forget they are a couple at all. Fgs, they should develop the Nikhil OCD sl or eating disorder, whatever it is. Just DO SOMETHING with them, ED! :mad:

That it would make for some interseting stuff if done right its clearly there in black and white that Nikhil has deep issues about his weight so why not explore that even further!
    Forum Member
    It's always sad to lose long-standing characters like these, who tend to underpin the whole prog. But why oh why haven't ED given them more to do while they're still there. They never get decent sls any more. The only thing they've found for Alan Turner to do is help Seanocchio with his homework. Fgs, Alan is capable of so much more.

Betty has not been seen since December I think. Turner has not had a decent storyline since Steph left in 2006. He has had just filler storylines such as an old biker mate turning up, helping Sean and helping Sandy after his fall and being kind of involved in the fire of 2011 when Keepers and the shop was burned. None of them major.

In 1985 his son Terence turned up and left that Christmas but returned in 2006 but his age was greatly altered as he was 20 in 1985 but about 53 in 2006, born 1952ish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    The word nuance seems to have blighted my life in the last week, I am a reviewer of my library's new books. There I was reading late last night, when for some unknown reason the word romance became nuance, I shook my head and reread the paragraph again and realised my mistake and decided enough was enough and went to sleep, only to awake this morning to continue reading (an excellent book by the way) the word nausea also became nuance, I then realised that I had even dropped the bl**dy word in yesterday afternoon, when myself and a few friends assembled for tea, cakes and gossip. I have to get out more.

:D:D:D
    Ive got to agree this is proab due to my undying hatred for the character of Nicola but i have found Jimmy and Carl's scene's very amusing indeed!

Ive just caught up with last night episode and almost had a heart attack of actually seeing David and Nikhill having a scene together we need more of this stuff they seem to do no wrong in my eyes for good old fashion fun stuff that the show badley needs but seeing as the current PTB dont seem to relise this case i suppose we'll have to wait until October to get there next scene's with each other! :rolleyes:;):D

More Jimmy and Carl please

Clearly David and Nikhil should have more scenes- if they don't know that they musn't be actually watching the episodes

Lots of us would have infinitely preferred some sweet/ funny scenes between Gennie and Nikhil to endless scenes of Debbie shouting at people and breaking up with Cameron but SB thinks they are 'odd' (as oppose to the epic romances of Debbie/Cameron; Marlon/Laurel) so there's not much chance- seeing Nikhil happy and more relaxed would have been great-it's a real shame because Gennie's scenes with David are also quite good fun-I would love to see Gennie, Alicia, David and Nikhil sharing more scenes but Gennie's barely on screen anymore so it's impossible to tell any story involving her

That it would make for some interseting stuff if done right its clearly there in black and white that Nikhil has deep issues about his weight so why not explore that even further!

It should but with Zak and Ashley draining the joy out of the show I am not sure I could handle Nikhil as well

They should have let him be happy for a while (I know- ridiculous on this show) and then explore it in the latter half of the year
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Inconsistent, lazy writing. The whole point of Nikhill and Gennie was that he worried more about what people thought than how he actually felt. Them getting together marked a break through for Nikhill. That he stopped trying to compete with his brother, that he wouldn't judge a woman based on how envious other men would be of him.

Now they've decided that Nikhill is still shallow and more concerned about how a woman looks on his arm. That awkwardness between him and Alicia was so obviously some kind of sexual tension.

How did this OCD behaviour come about? He's always enjoyed running and you'd expect he watched what he ate. So why has it become more apparent that he's becoming more obsessed with it all?
    Lots of us would have infinitely preferred some sweet/ funny scenes between Gennie and Nikhil to endless scenes of Debbie shouting at people and breaking up with Cameron but SB thinks they are 'odd' (as oppose to the epic romances of Debbie/Cameron; Marlon/Laurel) so there's not much chance- seeing Nikhil happy and more relaxed would have been great-it's a real shame because Gennie's scenes with David are also quite good fun-I would love to see Gennie, Alicia, David and Nikhil sharing more scenes but Gennie's barely on screen anymore so it's impossible to tell any story involving her

I'd have liked to see Gennie bring out a more relaxed side of Nikhill. To see him not be so uptight and indulge in afternoons spent on the sofa eating junk food with her. To have some sweet, romantic scenes like that right now would be a Godsend.

I also think the eating disorder/OCD storyline would've been better with Gennie.
  • Telly TotTelly Tot Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Inconsistent, lazy writing. The whole point of Nikhill and Gennie was that he worried more about what people thought than how he actually felt. Them getting together marked a break through for Nikhill. That he stopped trying to compete with his brother, that he wouldn't judge a woman based on how envious other men would be of him.

Now they've decided that Nikhill is still shallow and more concerned about how a woman looks on his arm.
    I think this is absolutely right. He seemed to have a breakthrough last year when he stood up to his Mum over Gennie, now the superficiality has kicked back in. That seemed to be emphasised when he talked about Alicia "ticking all the boxes." Up to that point she'd been ranting and raving in classic Alicia style and had insulted him twice. Somehow I don't think any of the boxes he was ticking were marked personality and charm.:D Sadly they seem to have hit the reset button on his character for some reason known only to themselves at this point. I was looking forward to seeing ED explore some challenging issues with these two, including the OCD. I had thought that ironically if the relationship had been played well, Nikhil may have found over time, that others envied his happiness and security with Gennie. I'm not really looking forward to the prospect of Gennie's confidence being knocked any further, or to watching him treat her like she's an embarassment to him. I get the feeling that the phrase "poor Gennie" is going to be often repeated in the coming months.
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale does do inconsistent at times I agree. With relationships more than anything else, well I think. And I dont think much of Stuart Blackburn.
    Forum Member

I remember the actor when he was a doctor in Emergency Ward 10 all those years ago and he was quite a hunk then!!
    Forum Member

Here Musty just for you I have looked it up. I knew it anyway from a soap mag.

"Chittell is in a relationship with Lesley Dunlop who plays Brenda Walker in Emmerdale"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Chittell
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly Tot wrote: »
    I think this is absolutely right. He seemed to have a breakthrough last year when he stood up to his Mum over Gennie, now the superficiality has kicked back in. That seemed to be emphasised when he talked about Alicia "ticking all the boxes." Up to that point she'd been ranting and raving in classic Alicia style and had insulted him twice. Somehow I don't think any of the boxes he was ticking were marked personality and charm.:D Sadly they seem to have hit the reset button on his character for some reason known only to themselves at this point. I was looking forward to seeing ED explore some challenging issues with these two, including the OCD. I had thought that ironically if the relationship had been played well, Nikhil may have found over time, that others envied his happiness and security with Gennie. I'm not really looking forward to the prospect of Gennie's confidence being knocked any further, or to watching him treat her like she's an embarassment to him. I get the feeling that the phrase "poor Gennie" is going to be often repeated in the coming months.

Bib: I have to admit that I wasn't remotely interested in this aspect, nor was I interested in seeing Nikhil's sudden weight obsession explored - but, of course, in Emmerdale's current incarnation a character without a personality disorder is a 'dull' character.

Frankly, I'm now at the stage where I'd rather the handsome vet had stuck around as Gennie's love interest - actually - and I've said this several times before - part of me wishes that Sian Reese-Williams would ditch the soap and move on to perhaps do some theatre and quality drama while she still has time to make her mark as a proper actress! She's far too good for this dross, and far too attractive in her own unique way to portray the 'Ugly Betty' character which that fool Blackburn sees when he looks at her.

I suppose the bottom line is that I, personally, am fed-up to the back teeth watching 'Emmerdale' couples in dysfunctional relationships - and since my high hopes that Gennie and Nikhil might break the mould and have a normal, loving relationship have been dashed, I'm not really interested in either of them any more! :(
  • Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sian Reese-Williams. She's far too good for this dross, and far too attractive in her own unique way to portray the 'Ugly Betty' character which that fool Blackburn sees when he looks at her.

I never thought I would see someone say they think the actress who plays Gennie is attractive and a good actress :eek:

She's been the most bland and boring character to be on ED in years and not fit to stand in Del's shoes.

She looks uncomfortable even playing an awkward character.
This discussion has been closed.