Options

Most Ignorant/Stupid comment made about Music you've ever heard?

Comments

• Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most stupid comment about music or indeed about ANYTHING is:

"it's before my time".

Like nothing important ever happened before the great I am was born! :rolleyes:

Someone even said it on Pointless the other day about 19th century literature. "It's before my time" as if everyone else in the audience was born in 1812!

Shakespeare, Mozart, Dickens, Austen, the World Wars, the Battle of Hastings - "it's before my time" duh! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    People who automatically criticise singers who don't write their own songs or who don't play instruments. Some of the best songs (and best selling) were written for artists by other people. Just because a singer may write their own songs and play an instrument while singing them it doesn't mean they are any better than somebody that can't.

Amen to that. A song is just notes on a page until a singer brings them to life. It doesn't matter if the singer wrote it or not.

Plus - a song will die unless it's sung by other people over the years so there's nothing wrong with cover versions either, so long as they bring their own style to it. :)
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »
    It annoys me when people think pop music and chart music are the same thing. And therefore, because I'm a pop fan, I must listen to Capital FM all day and I must be completely ignorant to anything outside the top forty.

It's not true. I like a lot of chart pop, but I also like a lot of left-field pop, and then I like a lot of completely obscure pop. There's a lot more to pop music than the top forty.

Well 'Pop Music' is short for 'Popular Music' - whether that is still a relevant abbreviation thesedays is up for debate. Give me an example of a obscure pop act.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I have to agree i for one have never nor will i ever like The Beatles or see the fuss in them doesn't make me stupid or ignorant but its like musical blasphemy :p

theres two points there though...

you have every right to not like the beatles and no one can knock that.

but then you say that you dont see what all the fuss is about, which isnt a personal comment but and with respect, an ignorant one. :D

the beatles are the greatest ever group, no other has come close to emulating their influence. now that might seem abit like a sweeping statement now, nearly 60 years on, but in context they really were that big.

so you have to seperate a personal opinion of them, from a factual one, whether you agree with it or not... (and whilst i like the beatles, they are far from my personal fav act, even from the 60's).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »
    It annoys me when people think pop music and chart music are the same thing. And therefore, because I'm a pop fan, I must listen to Capital FM all day and I must be completely ignorant to anything outside the top forty.

It's not true. I like a lot of chart pop, but I also like a lot of left-field pop, and then I like a lot of completely obscure pop. There's a lot more to pop music than the top forty.

erm... chart music IS pop music, its all pop... its only in recent times someone has tried to differentiate the two, but from as long as i can remember (early 60's) it was always called pop music.

actually its possibly watermans fault, who distinguished his manufactured pap as 'pure pop'.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    The most stupid comment about music or indeed about ANYTHING is:

"it's before my time".

Like nothing important ever happened before the great I am was born! :rolleyes:

Someone even said it on Pointless the other day about 19th century literature. "It's before my time" as if everyone else in the audience was born in 1812!

Shakespeare, Mozart, Dickens, Austen, the World Wars, the Battle of Hastings - "it's before my time" duh! :rolleyes:

I love you :D

With music you can say - well, the reason they were called 'records' is because they were 'recorded' for future use. You didn't have to be there at the time.

And the point of the written language is that people could 'record' their stories as a series of marks on paper that can be interpreted by another person, therefore that's how things are passed on.

I only know about things that have happened today. Live in the now, man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    cheryl cole is a great singer
    i'm sure she can sing, but is she great at singing?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Sugababes excuse for why their Catfights and Spotlights album flopped. They claimed their fanbase were unware they had an album out. Total bullocks. It was simply a crap album.
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a guy I once knew said how much he liked The Smashing Pumpkins song Landslide. I told him it was originally written by Stevie Nicks and recorded by Fleetwood Mac and you'd think I was speaking to him in tongues. I died a little inside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    "Guitar groups are on the way out."

Decca records said this to Brian Epstein when they turned the Beatles down.
  • Options
    vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that comes from the mouth of a 'real music' fan.
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When someone who likes The Beatles etc. think they are better than people who like Britney Spears, Katy Perry etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast Fuse wrote: »
    "Guitar groups are on the way out."

Decca records said this to Brian Epstein when they turned the Beatles down.

This one has got to be the biggest one of them all... they did make up for it by signing The Rolling Stones later though.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    erm... chart music IS pop music, its all pop... its only in recent times someone has tried to differentiate the two, but from as long as i can remember (early 60's) it was always called pop music.

actually its possibly watermans fault, who distinguished his manufactured pap as 'pure pop'.

A lot of people today see pop as a genre of music. So in our eyes, a song that sells 0 copies can still be a pop song. And some songs that are massive sellers aren't pop songs. The song at #1 on iTunes currently is a hip hop song, for example. It's been out since last summer, but it only got in the charts a few weeks ago, but it's still a hip hop song, it always has been, always will be. It's genre hasn't changed because it's popular now.
  • Options
    royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any kind of music snobbery. When people say "that sh*t" or "Beiber is a woman" or "one direction are rubbish" or "I can't listen to something thats mainstream / isn't popular" etc.

People should say "I like that song" "that song doesn't appeal to my personal tastes, I wish the singer all the best however, there is clearly a market for it".
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Justin Timberlake tries to sound black'. I heard a lot of people say that when Timberlake started out as a solo artist. Used to really piss me off.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theres two points there though...

you have every right to not like the beatles and no one can knock that.

but then you say that you dont see what all the fuss is about, which isnt a personal comment but and with respect, an ignorant one. :D

the beatles are the greatest ever group, no other has come close to emulating their influence. now that might seem abit like a sweeping statement now, nearly 60 years on, but in context they really were that big.

so you have to seperate a personal opinion of them, from a factual one, whether you agree with it or not... (and whilst i like the beatles, they are far from my personal fav act, even from the 60's).

ahem, 50 years on - not really doing your argument much good there :p

they where indeed the greatest band of modern times
    but most people know f all about music so it's hardly surprising that someone who likes 1D thinks that
    a) 1D's noise is music in more than the loosest sense
    b) fail to appreciate music when they hear it
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Somebody on the X Factor forum last year said that Neil Tennant of the PSBs was not a real musician and that he just sang over computer generated tracks! I rarely get agitated at stuff posted on here, but that really annoyed me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    ahem, 50 years on - not really doing your argument much good there :p

they started in the late 50's, and as i said 'nearly 60 years' its correct! :p:D
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a guy I once knew said how much he liked The Smashing Pumpkins song Landslide. I told him it was originally written by Stevie Nicks and recorded by Fleetwood Mac and you'd think I was speaking to him in tongues. I died a little inside.

I only recently discovered that via South Park, lol. Maybe he was just surprised it's not a Smashing Pumpkins original. It also happened to me previously with The Cranberries and "Go Your Own Way." I used to think..they wrote such a great song there but oh no it's by Fleetwood Mac. Fleetwood Mac do write good music but I just don't like the lead singers voice... Oh Well...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    A lot of people today see pop as a genre of music. So in our eyes, a song that sells 0 copies can still be a pop song. And some songs that are massive sellers aren't pop songs. The song at #1 on iTunes currently is a hip hop song, for example. It's been out since last summer, but it only got in the charts a few weeks ago, but it's still a hip hop song, it always has been, always will be. It's genre hasn't changed because it's popular now.

as i understand it now, theres pop the style but its all pop the overall term for popular music. after many years of all of it being refered to as pop, i still see all music as pop... with 'pure pop' being a sub genre... if you get me...
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    When someone says (singer/song by singer) is the best ever when they obviously aren't.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I remember Sugababes excuse for why their Catfights and Spotlights album flopped. They claimed their fanbase were unware they had an album out. Total bullocks. It was simply a crap album.

It's my least favourite Sugababes album. It had about 3 or 4 good songs and the rest are all filler. And don't get me started on their cover of Girls. That song was totally ruined for me by the Boots advert :mad: I never listen to it any more because of that ad.
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Fire wrote: »
    All Hip Hop is crap. But I'm sure there are many on here who think that is a totally fair and accurate comment so what do I know
    You know better! So do I. :)
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Louis Walsh claiming Simply Red did the original If You Don't Know Me By Now and that bloke from Fame Academy saying Soft Cell did the original Tainted Love. How, I know their versions are probably better known these days but these are two men who have been in the music industry for 40 years each so absolutely no excuse.
    I was aware of that pillock Walsh believing the above but I saw the Fame Academy in question and that irked me, as does people claiming that the Soft Cell version is better. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bizzle wrote: »
    Lana Del Rey is famous for having big lips than for having good music.

- Some imbecile from the Times.
    That's quite unpleasant and downright stupid and ironically she's very attractive too.
This discussion has been closed.