Options

Get those ipads ready

Comments

• Options
    noikznoikz Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XBMC with XBMC Commander makes anything Sky churn out look like Ceefax.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    It would be useful to be able to send "Alerts" to the Sky box from your iPad, similar to reminder alerts but containing users own message eg. "I can smell burning".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we all hoping that you can watch and then delete programs from your planner using your iPad ?. that would be impressive and very useful. That way most of us wouldn't need to sit and watch the utter rubbish our partners record lol
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we all hoping that you can watch and then delete programs from your planner using your iPad ?. that would be impressive and very useful. That way most of us wouldn't need to sit and watch the utter rubbish our partners record lol

I cannot see this happening as Sky would lose a lot of money due to multiroom subscriptions being cancelled.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I cannot see this happening as Sky would lose a lot of money due to multiroom subscriptions being cancelled.

Well What Hi-Fi claim VM's forthcoming TV anywhere app will have this feature at some point.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Although I thought Sky had already announced they were working on it?

If they were that worried about multiroom, they wouldn't have done Sky Go, especially on the Xbox, where I know people who use it to watch a friends Sky package in another house.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I thought Sky had already announced they were working on it?

If they were that worried about multiroom, they wouldn't have done Sky Go, especially on the Xbox, where I know people who use it to watch a friends Sky package in another house.

Sky Go has a limited number of channels, having full access to all channels, on demand and recordings is a good replacement for Multiroom without the extra £10.25, the only things multiroom would then bring to the table is extra tuners and more storage space.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Go just needs more channels. I'm not sure how adding channels to it works but Universal and FX would be good to have on it. Do Sky pay to have the channels available on Go and are there rules and regulations as to which channels can be made available ?.
  • Options
    uk1uk1 Posts: 397
    Forum Member

It wuld be good for sky and customers if they restircted multiroom subscriptions to a single sub for a household (irrespective of the number of boxes ..... few have 3 or more so the downside I wouldn't have thought was that great ... ) and make the app viewable and free to any sky subscriber who pays a sub for multiroom.

This would then increase their global revenue because a number of people who currently have the app- or an even higher percentage oe people getting the app in the future, particularly as the platforms increase - but would like to use it to view would then pay for multiroom even though they might not have an extra static box around the house. Logically existing app users have no right to complain (not saying they wouldn't ....;) ) because it is an additional benefit for multiroom subscribers and doesn't in any way compromise the functionality of the current app. If this also included unlocking those channels without overseas restriction whilst people are traveling they would then also have (nearly) a Slingbox beater. But that last bit is a hope too far ......

I think Sky would make much more from the current level of multiroom subs than they currently do - not less - and also it increases customer lock-in. The Virgin app seems to be nudging forwards .....

Article
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Go has a limited number of channels, having full access to all channels, on demand and recordings is a good replacement for Multiroom without the extra £10.25, the only things multiroom would then bring to the table is extra tuners and more storage space.

It's mentioned here, although Sky were quick to make a comment, there is no smoke without fire - http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/45372/sky-ipad-planner-recording-watching-app

Also, who's to say they won't charge for it, or might even be a case that if you watch something on your iPad from your box, it also plays it on that box, to stop people using it as a multiroom box, plenty of things they can do.
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    Good morning to you all.

So let me get this right.

In the next update to the iPad Sky+ app , did you say you wanted to be able to browse the Anytime/On Demand catalogue , & push requests to your planner ?

My apologies if I imagined that & got it wrong ;)

Regards as always

James

and if possible sort the planner gaps out show in my screenshots here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=60544667&postcount=228
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's mentioned here, although Sky were quick to make a comment, there is no smoke without fire - http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/45372/sky-ipad-planner-recording-watching-app

Also, who's to say they won't charge for it, or might even be a case that if you watch something on your iPad from your box, it also plays it on that box, to stop people using it as a multiroom box, plenty of things they can do.

Indeed. It's pretty obvious the functionalty's there, else why would a pop up appear when you tap watch? Another option will appear there I think!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Indeed. It's pretty obvious the functionalty's there, else why would a pop up appear when you tap watch? Another option will appear there I think!

That would be where the "Watch from last viewed" option appears if you've already started watching a recording. :)
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jogu wrote: »
    That would be where the "Watch from last viewed" option appears if you've already started watching a recording. :)

No. I was referring to when browsing the planner or tv guide in the app and tapping a programme. This then presents the option to 'watch' or record/delete depending on if you're in the guide or the planner. When tapping watch, the popup appears giving the option to watch on tv. This is where the option o watching iPad will also appear :).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    No. I was referring to when browsing the planner or tv guide in the app and tapping a programme. This then presents the option to 'watch' or record/delete depending on if you're in the guide or the planner. When tapping watch, the popup appears giving the option to watch on tv. This is where the option o watching iPad will also appear :).

Ahh, I see. Interesting ;)
  • Options
    uk1uk1 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    When using the app to select and play (and fast forward and back and pause etc .....) I cannot work out how to get back to the library ie to replicate back on the RC which takes you straight back to the planner library - without having to go all the way back through the app as though from scratch.

If anyone can understand my question ..... and know the answer I'd appreciate a pointer.
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    uk1 wrote: »
    When using the app to select and play (and fast forward and back and pause etc .....) I cannot work out how to get back to the library ie to replicate back on the RC which takes you straight back to the planner library - without having to go all the way back through the app as though from scratch.

If anyone can understand my question ..... and know the answer I'd appreciate a pointer.

Not sure if this helps but if you tap the bar that says Sky might help you out.
  • Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, if you have the new Sky+ iPad app, the C4 Paralympic channels appear as a separate option in the EPG TV guide between "HD&3D" and "Entertainment", even though not appearing on the actual EPG on the TV.:)
  • Options
    Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aerofly2 wrote: »
    Interestingly, if you have the new Sky+ iPad app, the C4 Paralympic channels appear as a separate option in the EPG TV guide between "HD&3D" and "Entertainment", even though not appearing on the actual EPG on the TV.:)

it's on my EPG on the Sky HD box, maybe you need a reboot?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul555 wrote: »
    it's on my EPG on the Sky HD box, maybe you need a reboot?

Ah! But do you have the very latest EPG update (with all the TV catchup options).
    I'm still waiting for this update, and maybe that's why I don't see them. I'm not sure a reboot will hurry this up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah! But do you have the very latest EPG update (with all the TV catchup options).
    I'm still waiting for this update, and maybe that's why I don't see them. I'm not sure a reboot will hurry this up.

I don't, I'm on the older EPG on Samsung box. Channels just appeared today 450-455 (3 HD, 3SD)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't, I'm on the older EPG on Samsung box. Channels just appeared today 450-455 (3 HD, 3SD)

I'm not sure I explained it correctly :o
    What I'm talking about, is not the channel numbers appearing in the EPG on the TV (I've got those), but the C4 Paralympics have a separate genre heading on the iPad TV guide which is not on my TV's EPG.
    Hope that makes more sense :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I explained it correctly :o
    What I'm talking about, is not the channel numbers appearing in the EPG on the TV (I've got those), but the C4 Paralympics have a separate genre heading on the iPad TV guide which is not on my TV's EPG.
    Hope that makes more sense :)

Oh right, I did misunderstand you. I don't have a separate genre heading, I doubt anyone has as I assume that would require some development
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, I did misunderstand you. I don't have a separate genre heading, I doubt anyone has as I assume that would require some development

Yes, you're probably correct there. Still it's nice to see the extra choice on the Sky+ app :)
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason though, channel 974 is first on the list in the Sky+ app :confused: