Options

Kittens sleeping after flea treatment

dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I flea'd both my kittens today (they're about 5 months old) as they're now both spayed/neutered and chipped.

They've been going outside and using the cat flap, so I thought it was about time, in case they came into contact with any other cats.

I flea'd them about half 3, and they went back outside for a bit, but then they both came in and fell asleep on the bed.

I've just woken them up now for some food, but they've eaten that and are dozing again.

They had advocate which I got from the vets given to them.

Is it normal for them to be so sleepy after flea treatment. They haven't been flea'd since I got them back at the end of July, as they weren't going out until this week properly. Before that their rescue Mum had done it (they were 9 weeks and 12 weeks when I got them)

I guess I just want some reassurance that they aren't ill and it's just a side effect of the flea stuff. First time cat Mummy you see :)

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Any odd behaviour to how they usually behave should result in a trip to the vets.

Do they walk fine? Do they start nodding off while they walk?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, when they're awake they're behaving fine. Both of them just ate fine. One is now asleep on my legs, and the other is in the bathroom on his pile of towels.

They walked in from the bedroom (they got off the bed ok) fine when they came to get food. It's only a one bed flat, so they didn't have far to come.

Went in to wake them up, gave them both a stroke, asked them if they wanted some food, came back, rattled the food bowls, and they appeared to eat like they normally would.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog goes quiet after Advocate treatment, not sure if it's something in the drug or just that she dislikes me putting it on (she's never been keen on anyone near her scruff since she was chipped, despite my best efforts :().

I'd keep a close eye on them and call the vet if worried :)
  • Options
    micky1micky1 Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 12 weeks old kittens slept on an off for about 2 days after i treated them with Advocate from my vet. I was a bit worried about them and was going to contact the vet but then they perked up. Ive got to take them back next week for their next injections im going to ask him if this is normal.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I've been using advocate for years but, last month, the morning after applying it to all 3 of my cats, my Bernard didn't come down for his breakfast with me and he hadn't even slept in my room that night, which was unusual for him. I went to work, he still hadn't moved so I was quite worried and even phoned the vet, from work, for advice. She just said to bring him in (which I couldn't as I was at work). I was working a long shift (13 hours) so asked my sister in law to pop round to my house to check on Bernard. She phoned me about 4pm to say she was at my house and couldn't find him which made me very worried! Luckily, she waited a while and he turned up, went to her for a cuddle, looking a bit bemused. He was fine by the time I got home that night!

The other 2 cats were fine and Bernard has never reacted to advocate before. Maybe that time, I actually managed to get most of it on him. :)

It's very worrying when cats act out of character and I keep a close eye on Bernard and am determined to be more vigilant since my Tabitha died last year - I had failed to act or react to (or even notice) any warning signs of her illness she had been exhibiting. If Bernard is also sleepy next time, then I will attribute it to the flea treatment and ask the vet for advice about future treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, they're thankfully fine today.

I was very anxious all day as today was the first time I had left the cat flap open whilst I went to work. Got home to find muddy footprints everywhere (rained on and off all day) Dave the kitten in the house, and Lola the kitten sat on the doorstep waiting for me. She was very chatty so I think she missed me!

Micky1, would be interested in what the vet says if you wouldn't mind coming back and posting. :)

I've used advocate as I know it's one of the best, I always get really badly bitten by fleas when I've been exposed to them, so am trying to avoid that.

Glad Bernard is ok again as well MarellaK :)
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, they're thankfully fine today.

I was very anxious all day as today was the first time I had left the cat flap open whilst I went to work. Got home to find muddy footprints everywhere (rained on and off all day) Dave the kitten in the house, and Lola the kitten sat on the doorstep waiting for me. She was very chatty so I think she missed me!

Micky1, would be interested in what the vet says if you wouldn't mind coming back and posting. :)

I've used advocate as I know it's one of the best, I always get really badly bitten by fleas when I've been exposed to them, so am trying to avoid that.

Glad Bernard is ok again as well MarellaK :)

It's exciting and stressful being a first time cat owner. I remember how anxious I was when my Tabitha started using the cat flap for the first time when I was out and I agree about the problem with dirty paws everywhere :) I worried a lot more about Tabitha than I ever have about my subsequent cats. It's probably because I'm just more experienced now but there's something special about the 'first' cat (or cats in your case).

You seem to be very caring and conscientious and I hope you have many years of joy with your little cats.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    Frontline or advocate or has anyone tried Biospotix » Natural Flea Treatment? I am thinking of buying online as it is so much cheaper than my vets, can anyone recommend a reputable supplier who does not require certification from a vet?
    I have had cats continuously for many many years and have never suffered personally from the effects of fleas. But this year they seem to be everywhere. I have spent a fortune on various treatments for the house but to no avail. My cats have been on frontline extra, from the vets, for a few years now and I wonder if a change might be helpful? My eldest cat is 20, so want to be extra careful what I treat her with. My neutered tom is 10.