Official Snooker Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it in HD on eurosport 1 and 2 because it didn't look like it?
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I snapped a little pic of the ref. He doesn't look that menacing on closer inspection but I've still never seen him before.

gWt6JS8.jpg
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selby whitewashed by Perry 4-0 :eek:

Chance for Trump to close the gap on the world number one perhaps...
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chance for Trump to close the gap on the world number one perhaps...

Possibly, but he's going to have to play better than he has been doing this week. He may have beaten Mike Dunn 4-0 but that was more down to Dunn's errors and nerves in that one, and against Dominic Dale it wasn't convincing.

It's been a pretty interesting tournament so far though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    I snapped a little pic of the ref. He doesn't look that menacing on closer inspection but I've still never seen him before.

gWt6JS8.jpg

They just introduced him.....Welsh ref John Pellew :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »
    Possibly, but he's going to have to play better than he has been doing this week. He may have beaten Mike Dunn 4-0 but that was more down to Dunn's errors and nerves in that one, and against Dominic Dale it wasn't convincing.

It's been a pretty interesting tournament so far though...

I think he'll have to reach the semis to get his number one ranking back, which you'd expect him to do on form (Higginson, then Dott, O'Brien or Advani).....but as you say Zaw, you wouldn't back him with any confidence....
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he'll have to reach the semis to get his number one ranking back, which you'd expect him to do on form (Higginson, then Dott, O'Brien or Advani).....but as you say Zaw, you wouldn't back him with any confidence....

According to Matt from Pro Snooker Blog, Judd will be world number 1 from end of this tournament regardless of how he does in the next round. But as he pointed out, watch out for Robertson with points he can earn in the next couple of months as he hasn't got many to take off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Matt from Pro Snooker Blog, Judd will be world number 1 from end of this tournament regardless of how he does in the next round. But as he pointed out, watch out for Robertson with points he can earn in the next couple of months as he hasn't got many to take off

Ah, see I was looking at this list:

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=11&season=2012

Which may well not have deducted Selby's points from reaching the Welsh SF in 2011, so that would make sense.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »

gWt6JS8.jpg

He looks like Jack Charlton minus the comb over.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, see I was looking at this list:

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=11&season=2012

Which may well not have deducted Selby's points from reaching the Welsh SF in 2011, so that would make sense.

this is the one I look at: http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=20&season=2012

what the official world rankings will look like AFTER the next cut-off point

edit: or this one for the official world rankings after the Welsh Open: http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=19&season=2012
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    WPBSA to take action against Stephen Lee.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/14/stephen-lee-snooker-match-fixing

I thought this would blow over. Obviously not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two slightly surprising wins this morning at the Welsh. Advani beating Dott and Kenny beating Tom Ford.

Have to feel for Graeme Dott. Last game on last night and first game this morning. Poor scheduling as Advani has had two days off.

I will say this about Pankaj Advani, his safety play is superb but he isn't attractive to watch. Stabbing action with the cue and a very clumsy stance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good snooker this afternoon. Great comeback from Bingham in the deciding frame. Wonderful clearance when he needed every ball and blacks with the reds.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good snooker this afternoon. Great comeback from Bingham in the deciding frame. Wonderful clearance when he needed every ball and blacks with the reds.

Yeah.Those last 3 balls were all missable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Jason Mohammed has been terrible this week, he never let's anyone finish their sentence. Willie was laughing at him doing it earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Mohammed has been terrible this week, he never let's anyone finish their sentence. Willie was laughing at him doing it earlier.

Yeah, it just goes to show how much I miss Hazel Irvine. Even though I can't stand her when she's on. :D
  • AbacaAbaca Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of controversy at the end of the Milkins/Baird game with Milkins squaring off with Eirian Williams, presumably about that miss decision in the final frame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abaca wrote: »
    A bit of controversy at the end of the Milkins/Baird game with Milkins squaring off with Eirian Williams, presumably about that miss decision in the final frame.

Something about Milkins I don't like. He seems to be a bit arrogant and have an attitude
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh! I shall have to check out the highlights now.
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great win for Alan McManus to reach the last eight. Who would of guessed the quarter final line up! A lot of surprises in there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. Angles and Kenny in the Quarters....is this 2013 or 2003? :p
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best of seven gave the lower ranked players a better chance. However I still expect either Trump or Robertson to win it.
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best of seven gave the lower ranked players a better chance. However I still expect either Trump or Robertson to win it.

Robertson can't win it of course - Bingham pulled off a brilliant clearance in the last frame earlier today to win 4-3. Robbo was very complimentary of Bingham's break on Twitter too - fair dos.

So the quarters look like this (so I know who I will be seeing tomorrow afternoon):

1pm
    Judd Trump v Pankaj Advani
    Ken Doherty v Stuart Bingham

7pm
    Stephen Maguire v Alan McManus
    Ding Junhui v Robert Milkins
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member

Don't underestimate Advani though, he's not going to make it easy for Judd
This discussion has been closed.