Options

Sky removing RF2 voltage? (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Surely just a matter of asking the installer at the time of installation.

The installer should be the one that restores it to the state it was on arrival - or simply ask the person he's doing it for - not leaving it for someone else to get home later and find out they've no TV upstairs (remembering that pre-DSO the default output channel in the Winter Hill area would wipe out three of the Freeview multiplexes too).
  • Options
    Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    Could someone just confirm whether this new adapter that is req to restore the Digilink/RF out also includes the RF from the TV (plus any previously diplexed in DAB or FM) as the old RF2 used to do ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Just fitted a sky HD box for customer and it had no TV through or RF2. bang goes magic eyes and multi room. I am surprised that scart is still there. :confused:
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    iconic wrote: »
    Just fitted a sky HD box for customer and it had no TV through or RF2. bang goes magic eyes and multi room. I am surprised that scart is still there. :confused:

You're obviously NOT keeping up with these forums :D

The new WiFi boxes (just like the non-PVR multi-room box) have a port on the back to plug an external modulator/magic eye system in to.

It only has a single RF output (RF2) as there's really no need to feed your main TV from it.
  • Options
    ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iconic wrote: »

Surely as an installer you would know this, unless of course you are not a Sky ASA in which case you've just found out ;)

Yes, you can use the Global iO-Link Connector but at present they are out of stock everywhere because Sky have bought up every bit of stock Global Invacom had available!

It is a good device, works very well with picture/sound transfer and remote eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    ian-d wrote: »
    Yes, you can use the Global iO-Link Connector but at present they are out of stock everywhere because Sky have bought up every bit of stock Global Invacom had available!

There was still stock on ebay & amazon when I checked last night, but they will set you back an eye watering £60!
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jogu wrote: »
    There was still stock on ebay & amazon when I checked last night, but they will set you back an eye watering £60!

Or an even more eye watering £1969.99 :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BUYME-GLOBAL-iO-LINK-NEW/dp/B00CELXP6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377787261&sr=8-1&keywords=iO-Link

EDIT: or if you're really flush you could even consider paying an extra 10er from what is quite obviously the same seller on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLOBAL-iO-LINK-NEW-/121125243833?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item1c33a08bb9
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or an even more eye watering £1969.99 :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BUYME-GLOBAL-iO-LINK-NEW/dp/B00CELXP6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377787261&sr=8-1&keywords=iO-Link

EDIT: or if you're really flush you could even consider paying an extra 10er from what is quite obviously the same seller on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLOBAL-iO-LINK-NEW-/121125243833?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item1c33a08bb9

Sellers sometimes do this if they don't want to remove the listing (and risk dropping off Google) when they are low or out of stock while they wait for more to come in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    We are dropping to RF, and we will stock the I/O adaptor on our own site from September for customers to buy.

But we have lots of other ways out now and coming soon that will allow you to get that 'multiroom' experience
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deano_sky wrote: »
    We are dropping to RF, and we will stock the I/O adaptor on our own site from September for customers to buy.

But we have lots of other ways out now and coming soon that will allow you to get that 'multiroom' experience

But presumably none anywhere near as convenient as the Global one?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jogu wrote: »

I wouldn't trust some of those sellers, they still claim to have brand new stock of the Humax FOXSAT-HDR which was discontinued years ago (feedback suggests they are graded!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't trust some of those sellers, they still claim to have brand new stock of the Humax FOXSAT-HDR which was discontinued years ago (feedback suggests they are graded!)

Hehe.

They seem to be upto £80 quid now.

I've got a brandnew one sitting here; if anyone wants it for £80 let me know ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    But presumably none anywhere near as convenient as the Global one?.

Sorry Nigel having a dumb day :) do you mean that we are not supporting a common interface??? I agree it is sad to drop a function people have become acquainted with, but we had our reasons to not fit the RF modulator to our current release of wifi boxes, and future box.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    Sellers sometimes do this if they don't want to remove the listing (and risk dropping off Google) when they are low or out of stock while they wait for more to come in.

The eBay auction shows that 14 people bought them (up until a couple of days ago) for £49.56 so that sounds like the reason. One person bought two.

That's still pretty expensive considering what the product does, but I guess it is a niche thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry Nigel having a dumb day :) do you mean that we are not supporting a common interface??? I agree it is sad to drop a function people have become acquainted with, but we had our reasons to not fit the RF modulator to our current release of wifi boxes, and future box.

It's a bit difficult to understand exactly WHAT you meant? (due to the spurious 'to') :D
    We are dropping to RF

I'm also pretty sure the dropping of the internal RF support wasn't a decision in any way influenced by you, despite the references above giving that impression :p

The reason's are pretty obvious - cost - leaving the RF outputs off the boxes will more than pay for the internal WiFi.

To be fair, no one else provides RF facilities, and no one has ever duplicated the excellent magic eye facility - but leaving the capability there for those who want to add it is a reasonable compromise.

The other 'cost' item of course is Sky trying to push people towards Multi-room where they make more money, rather than RF feeds off a single box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Surely as an installer you would know this, unless of course you are not a Sky ASA in which case you've just found out ;)

It is a good device, works very well with picture/sound transfer and remote eyes.

No I am not Sky ASA, Was Sky Buddy but Sky pulled that. Thanks for the answer I did do a search but didn't find anything. I don't often use RF2 as I mainly install HDMI matrix switches or Just add power, but the customer had it sent as a customer install.
    thanks again.
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    The eBay auction shows that 14 people bought them (up until a couple of days ago) for £49.56 so that sounds like the reason. One person bought two.

That's still pretty expensive considering what the product does, but I guess it is a niche thing.

But who would spend thousands of pounds on an RF output? Why not just pay for 10 years of multiroom instead? :D
  • Options
    Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone have any pictures of the rear of the new "Sky+HD 2TB box - now with built in Wi-Fi"?
    can you use one of those "iO-LINK's"?
    and where do you get them from as sky dont seem to have any on their site

i would like one of the new boxes, but i heavily rely on the RF output around my house
  • Options
    Forum Member
    https://twitter.com/duskycontrol/status/368067556411596801 has a screenshot.

You'll be lucky to get an iO link anywhere at the moment (unless you want to pay 80 quid on ebay), sounds like new stock won't be available for several weeks - but it will work fine with the new boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr.B wrote: »
    does anyone have any pictures of the rear of the new "Sky+HD 2TB box

It's just the same box as the standard one, simply with a larger HDD and different labelling.

So it will work fine with the iO-Link, if you can get one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just the same box as the standard one, simply with a larger HDD and different labelling.

So it will work fine with the iO-Link, if you can get one.

Bit misleading, you of course mean the 'new' 890 also; poster might not have seen the back of this version either. They work very well with the iO-Link; they will be popular when available again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bit misleading, you of course mean the 'new' 890.

Which is the standard box, what's misleading about that?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is the standard box, what's misleading about that?.

Doesn't matter really, just pointing out that the poster asked for a picture of the back of the new 2TB of which you said it is the same as the standard box...but it is likely the case that they haven't seen an image of the back of the new standard box either, which might lead them to look at a non 'W' 890 and think it is that one. That's all ;)
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, to push Multiroom subscriptions on to those who just want to be able to watch Sky in a second room.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, to push Multiroom subscriptions on to those who just want to be able to watch Sky in a second room.

And you still can with WiFi senders. Tell me another Pay TV company that offered a magic eye facility