Life In Bradford

Comments

• Merkin ParadeMerkin Parade Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Merkin Parade is a troll so I won't take his posts seriously.

Unfortunately I'm not going to Bradford Uni as the course I want to do isn't widely taught so I'm doing Foundation Degree a Bradford College University Centre. I have a place at Newcastle College to do the same course but I really don't want to go as I've heard better things about Bradford College, the accommodation is pathetic and it's too expensive to live there.

I would go to London to do this course as there's much more opportunities for the line of work I want to go into (Technical events/theatre) but you have to be rich to live in London.

Apologies if I've come across as a troll, I was just sharing my experiences. Sorry if I've give the wrong impressions, if you want to study at Bradford then go for it mate. I won't contribute anymore to your thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling that Merkin Parade is a troll so I won't take his posts seriously.

Unfortunately I'm not going to Bradford Uni as the course I want to do isn't widely taught so I'm doing Foundation Degree a Bradford College University Centre. I have a place at Newcastle College to do the same course but I really don't want to go as I've heard better things about Bradford College, the accommodation is pathetic and it's too expensive to live there.

I would go to London to do this course as there's much more opportunities for the line of work I want to go into (Technical events/theatre) but you have to be rich to live in London.

Life's too short to worry about finances when you're a uni student. Have fun and worry about that later...you don't have to pay anything back until you're earning anyway.

I can't speak for Bradford, but I lived near Newcastle. It is such an amazing city and Bradford really would have to be something special to beat it.

If the course in Newcastle has a good reputation that would be my personal choice.

Can you not stay in Bradford for 3 nights, Newcastle for 3 and see which gives you the best vibe before choosing?
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would you feel I turned this around & told you this was all bollocks? I don't doubt your experiences of living there at all but you thought it was just fine & dandy to dismiss mine. Yeah cheers, really appreciate being told a portion of my life didn't happen & I'm wrong.

That's why I reacted the way I did. Ive lived in several shitholes over the years but bradford just disgusted me & I'll feel like that till the day I die. I'll never apologise for that

I could quite honestly not care less.

It's better for Bradford if people that hate the place stay away.
  • Merkin ParadeMerkin Parade Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    skazza wrote: »
    I could quite honestly not care less.

Now you know how I feel
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Last time I was there it was a dump with nothing to do but I've heard that they now have a fountain to look at so things have got better..
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you google Bradford you get lots of links saying "rat-infested shithole" so I'm guessing it's not that nice.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    When you google Bradford you get lots of links saying "rat-infested shithole" so I'm guessing it's not that nice.

Well i just did as you said. I googled Bradford and the rat infested shithole" dont show up on the first page
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've made a grave mistake

:D:D:D
  • Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, the centre is not too bad with the media museum, Alahambra theatre and bars and clubs etc but where the uni accommodation is seems to be a bad area where I personally wouldn't feel safe. It depends what kind of person you are whether you are happy living somewhere like that and I would imagine the kind of people who choose to go there would be quite streetwise and down to earth not the middle class, cocktail bar types!
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently in the student areas there are lots of Halal butchers who just dispose of their unsold meat by throwing in into the gutters and that's what attracts the rats and also makes for an unpleasant smell in summer.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I was born there during t'war, left just after when I was two and a half and I've never been back, and by the sounds of it I don't want to go back either.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sums up the situation when many people keep saying a plus point is that it is "next door to Leeds"

If you are expecting the stereotypical student life in a student town where it often feels like the entire town is geared towards you, Bradford is not it.

There is no night life, a few pubs but generally not trendy young ones, mainly just Weatherspoons and stuff like that. All the shops close at 5:30 and the city is then deserted.

It is cheap to live though, you are never a few minutes away from a pound shop.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would have thought doing that course one thing that would be important is how much student society activity is going on that you could get involved with. How much cultural activity is going on that you can volunteer for to get experience.
    Also the contacts and networking that you can do.

And if you are in receipt of bursaries/loans, they are higher for the London Uni's to cover the additional cost of accommodation.
    It's probably the one chance some will get to live in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Apparently in the student areas there are lots of Halal butchers who just dispose of their unsold meat by throwing in into the gutters and that's what attracts the rats and also makes for an unpleasant smell in summer.

This isn't true, you'll be happy to hear.

I wonder if the person who told you this has some sort of anti-Islamic agenda?
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Unless you're a muslim you'll find it very hard to fit in there. It's like a foreign Shanty Town at times. Just look at this picture and you'll see what I mean..... http://www.europeantruth.co.uk/images/praying%20in%20bradford.jpg :confused: In the middle of the street you know...
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Unless you're a muslim you'll find it very hard to fit in there. It's like a foreign Shanty Town at times. Just look at this picture and you'll see what I mean..... http://www.europeantruth.co.uk/images/praying%20in%20bradford.jpg :confused: In the middle of the street you know...

About 50 people in a garden and you think the entire city of 300,000 people are like that? {rolleyes}
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    About 50 people in a garden and you think the entire city of 300,000 people are like that? {rolleyes}

Think you'll find they're seeping in to the alleyway. Not what I want to see or hear or navigate around when I'm walking around town. What a palava. They should go to the mosque if they want to do that not lay out they're prayer mats in the middle of an alleyway blocking the path like third world hobos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »

It's not the middle of the street, is it.

I'm not even sure that's Bradford. Brick terraces?
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not the middle of the street, is it.

I'm not even sure that's Bradford. Brick terraces?

Yep; could be anywhere in the country. I'm sure the poster doesn't have a grudge against Bradford or the people he's highlighted in the pic.
  • _Gizmo__Gizmo_ Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    My conclusion from these replies is that NATO should be getting ready to attack/invade/liberate Bradford very very soon....

Sadly, that is very true. Whilst they are around, they will hopefully liberate Huddersfield and Dewsbury too.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest when I created this thread I didn't expect to see so many people with a grudge against all Muslims.

I only really wanted to know what it was like there, I'd only be staying there for 2 years if I go and I doubt a Muslim person is going to randomly murder me in the street just for being a non-muslim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest when I created this thread I didn't expect to see so many people with a grudge against all Muslims.

I only really wanted to know what it was like there, I'd only be staying there for 2 years if I go and I doubt a Muslim person is going to randomly murder me in the street just for being a non-muslim.

It's incredible. DS is making me more uncomfortable all the time.

Bradford is OK, it really is. Best curry in the land as well.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    It's incredible. DS is making me more uncomfortable all the time.

Bradford is OK, it really is. Best curry in the land as well.
    I feel that way too - so many openly racist people, it's disturbing. How on earth do they get on at work with such views?

Bradford is fine, a cheap place to live, which is important for a student, and if the college does the course the OP wants to do, then go for it and ignore the naysayers.
  • DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    Never been to this City before but I'm applying for a place at Bradford College through clearing.

What is it like to live there? If you muslim, tolerable.
    What is the nightlife like? See above
    Is it an affordable city? meh
    What are the people like? If you muslim, tolerable.
    Where are the best places to go? Mosque, asian takeaways, railway station.

Ive heard the total opposite from a lovely girl i know who is a Neurosurgeon, she tells me she suffered years of racism in Bradford from white people, who presumed she was Pakistani and a Muslim, when in reality she was a Sikh and of Indian heritage.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They may not - but expect to receive abuse shouted from cars or harassment if you go walk down the 'wrong' street.
This discussion has been closed.