Options

Is anyone's child leaving for University this week?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    In what?

In anything you like :D

Many people do Masters or PostGrad in different subjects.

I did originally want to, my interest dropped by second year but I kept at it, and then by third year I wanted to quit, but thought by that point it made sense to finish rather than quitting 8 months from the end.

Yes, it certainly made a LOT more sense finishing, otherwise you've just totally wasted all your time and student loans :cry:

A friend of my daughters (doing an Electronics degree at York) dropped out two weeks before his final exams :o

She'd hardly seem him during the three years as he was so busy on his course, I think he REALLY struggled with the work load - but quitting when he did was heart breaking.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALL of whom went to Uni!

Mummy and Daddy money bags me thinks?? :D

4 of mine went to uni. A major part of the deal was they had part time jobs when they were there and during holidays. That helped enormously financially as well as being invaluable experience for them.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of when my son left for UMIST as it was 14 years ago. He took a degree in Computer Science and is now a Senior Software Developer.
    I had mixed feelings about him going away, I had very serious personal problems at the time so him going away was very difficult to handle along with everything else going on...anyway we survived :D

I was so proud of him :D
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the opposite problem. Both of my sons left home, one to join the Navy and the other to go to University. Now my younger son has come back home to start his first graduate job and the older one will be coming home next year when he leaves the Navy.

So in the space of just over a year we'll have gone from having just the 2 of us at home to all of us back. :o

And it doesn't work having 4 adults in the house (plus the older son's girlfriend at weekends!):cry:
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what the big deal is these days about kids going off to Uni. There's emails, Skype, mobile phones ..... It's just like they're at home anyway.:D

I remember my friend going off to Uni in the 70s and she had to cadge a lift off a neighbour to take her to a coach station 25 miles away. She then had to catch a coach to the other end of the country. Her Mum and Dad had no car which was nothing unusual as few families in rural areas did then.

She took a large rucksack and a suitcase with all her belongings not like the kids today who take the whole of an estate car full of stuff.

Her parents didn't have a phone either (nor did mine) so if she had any worries she had to write to them and usually by the time she'd done that she felt better anyway.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I have the opposite problem. Both of my sons left home, one to join the Navy and the other to go to University. Now my younger son has come back home to start his first graduate job and the older one will be coming home next year when he leaves the Navy.

So in the space of just over a year we'll have gone from having just the 2 of us at home to all of us back. :o

And it doesn't work having 4 adults in the house (plus the older son's girlfriend at weekends!):cry:

Oh dear :(

I wouldn't like that at all :o
    My 3 that have left home (they are all in their 30s) still give me grief, along with my 21 year old still at home....I couldn't cope with them all at home :(:o

I feel for you :cry:
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Oh dear :(

I wouldn't like that at all :o
    My 3 that have left home (they are all in their 30s) still give me grief, along with my 21 year old still at home....I couldn't cope with them all at home :(:o

I feel for you :cry:

lol thanks! Hopefully it will only be for a year while the older one saves up for a house with his girlfriend. I will just grin and bear it :)
    And I agree they're just as much trouble when they've left home anyway! :D