Cost of the bus

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
Forum Member
I live in Bolton but work in Salford. If I want to get to work on the train it costs me £2.90 and £3 for a return. However its £4.10 for me to get there on a bus. The bus takes 40 minutes longer and is a lot less comfortable so why is it more expensive. Its ridiculous the bus has now become very expensive. Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Buses are expensive and not that efficient. They get stuck in traffic, are easily late, if there's not enough seats it's difficult to stand up for long journeys and they're relatively expensive.

I pay £2.20 for a return from Salford Quays into Manchester on the tram which is pretty reasonable, whereas it's closer to £4 on the bus which takes a lot longer and always gets stuck in traffic.

It could be the petrol thing, but most trains also use fuel.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Old people getting it for nothing has put the price up along with the cost of fuel.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I can help it I would get the train into Sunderland and Newcastle. I hate having to get on a bus.

On a bus it takes 50 minutes to get Sunderland and 90 minutes to Newcastle.

On a train it takes 15 minutes to Sunderland 35 minutes to get to Newcastle.

As for costs it is £3.80 to Sunderland for a Red Zone ticket and to get to Newcastle £6.20 as you pass through 3 zones.

On a train it is £3.10 return to Sunderland and a return to Newcastle is £5.60.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    £1.80 from the bus stop outside my house into town but if I walk to the next bus stop its 40p cheaper!!!

I don't understand why buses can't be 1 flat rate.
    Forum Member
    £1.80 from the bus stop outside my house into town but if I walk to the next bus stop its 40p cheaper!!!

Like in Vegas. 1 dollar for as long as you want. Not sure if it has gone up since it was 2000.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are in London. £2 cash to anywhere, £1.20 with an Oyster card with a cap of £3.60 however many times you use it in a day.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I live in Bolton but work in Salford. If I want to get to work on the train it costs me £2.90 and £3 for a return. However its £4.10 for me to get there on a bus. The bus takes 40 minutes longer and is a lot less comfortable so why is it more expensive. Its ridiculous the bus has now become very expensive. Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

They said deregulation will increase competition and make bus travel cheaper so quit moaning :D
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I just posted about this on the old folk on the bus thread the other day. I live in a village in rural Scotland. It's only a 35 min drive to Glasgow but you'd think we were in Outer Mongolia. We're only 15/20 minutes drive to the nearest big town but it's a bloody nightmare by public transport. 45 minutes by bus and they only run every 45 minutes. After 6pm it drops to a 2 hourly service. Kids over the age of 3 are charged. It costs just under £10 for me and 2 kids to travel into the town and over £20 to go to Glasgow.

Only one company operates in this area so they can charge what they like for a sh*te service. :mad:
    Forum Member
    Deregulation has increased competition and made bus travel cheaper so quit moaning :D

How has it made it cheaper? Since 2001 the bus has gone up fifty pence a day to my stop.

Stagecoach bought out all the local companies so there is no competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How has it made it cheaper? Since 2001 the bus has gone up fifty pence a day to my stop.

It has gone up 50p a day since 2001? It must cost you manythousands of pounds a day by now :D
    Forum Member

Don't ask me ask the Tories because Maggie said it would and who am I to question ;)
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old people getting it for nothing has put the price up along with the cost of fuel.

I would have thought the exact opposite and that the scheme in practice acts as a hidden subsidy of the bus network; and that when / if the scheme is abolished, fares will rise passenger numbers will decline and that services will be slashed as a consequence.
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    It has gone up 50p a day since 2001? It must cost you manythousands of pounds a day by now :D

It was 70p for a return trip to town in 2001. Now it is 1.40. My maths. It has doubled.

I buy a ten pound a week ticket to save money.
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I've noticed from being in other countries is how much cheaper, cleaner and efficient their public transport systems are. This country has a 3rd world public transport system and we pay more than anywhere else for such a dreadful service.
    Forum Member

Fuel aside I'll think you'll find either local or central govt paid for them not ticket hikes.
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    I would have thought the exact opposite and that the scheme in practice acts as a hidden subsidy of the bus network; and that when / if the scheme is abolished, fares will rise passenger numbers will decline and that services will be slashed as a consequence.

I prefered 2001-2007.The buses had hardly anyone on them and you could get a decent seat at the front.

Since 2007 the buses are full and you can't get a decent seat. The journey times are longer as it takes ages for the old ducks to get on and off. Then there are the baby brigade and they take up seats as they can't be bothered to fold their prams/pushchairs up.
    Forum Member
    Fuel aside I'll think you'll find either local or central govt paid for them not ticket hikes.

If that was true. How come is it much cheaper in Italy? I was amazed at the bus and train prices there.
    Forum Member
    I prefered 2001-2007.The buses had hardly anyone on them and you could get a decent seat at the front.

Since 2007 the buses are full and you can't get a decent seat. The journey times are longer as it takes ages for the old ducks to get on and off. Then there are the baby brigade and they take up seats as they can't be bothered to fold their prams/pushchairs up.

Instead of picking on the elderly and people with babies (which you often do :mad:) why not the bus companies for not laying enough on for the increase in passengers?
    Forum Member
    If that was true. How come is it much cheaper in Italy? I was amazed at the bus and train prices there.

Yeah and who subsidises them? not you the tourist, and talking of that I bet they get peed off with you travelling at their expense.
    Forum Member
    Instead of picking on the elderly and people with babies (which you often do :mad:) why not the bus companies for not laying enough on for the increase in passengers?

I'd like a gay bus for gay people. That would be great.
    Forum Member
    Aye, or maybe offer to help the "baby brigade". Ever tried folding a buggy while holding a baby, changing bag, some shopping and paying the driver?
    Forum Member

It could well be stud but how much would tickets cost for the few that would use them, or should they be subsidised like the elderly? :p
    Forum Member

:D

Good luck with that, we get one bus every 45 minutes to serve 3 villages worth of folk heading to and from town. :p
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well since the scheme came in to being the number of journeys to the nearest main shopping / cultural centre 15 miles away has increased from 2 an hour to 4 an hour during the day. I imagine that's due to all the old people travelling on the service. I fear it's going to go back down to the old more infrequent sevice. For me more crowded buses is an acceptable trade off for an improved service.
    Forum Member
    :D

Good luck with that, we get one bus every 45 minutes to serve 3 villages worth of folk heading to and from town. :p

Village People - gay buses :D