Options

The Chandler's are free!!

mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
Forum Member
✭✭
I am sorry if there is a thread already, couldn't see one (please merge if so!!)

They are reporting on sky news :) fantastic news

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry if there is a thread already, couldn't see one (please merge if so!!)

They are reporting on sky news :) fantastic news

Is that the couple kidnapped by the pirates?

Good news if so, although I hope they didn't negotiate with the pirates.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the couple kidnapped by the pirates?

Good news if so, although I hope they didn't negotiate with the pirates.

Maybe they got some untraceable backhander. If there was a deal done the government would never publically admit to it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the couple. Not sure on details, it's just on the "breaking news" banner along the bottom.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Maybe they got some untraceable backhander. If there was a deal done the government would never publically admit to it

Surely that wouldn't happen ? It incentivises the kidnappers to do it again, just as much as if it were done in public :confused:

I hope it's true that they are free but a ransom should not have been paid under any circumstances.

Nothing showing on BBC online yet.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Surely that wouldn't happen ? It incentivises the kidnappers to do it again, just as much as if it were done in public :confused:

I hope it's true that they are free but a ransom should not have been paid under any circumstances.

I agree, I'm relieved that they've been freed but alarmed that a ransom was paid, it's sets a precedent and that could be disasterous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah but thats the point about making it an untraceable backhander through some kind of third party intermediatery. Theres no way the pirates can prove that they did get a ransom and so to all intents the UK can still publically maintain its stance that it does not negogiate with terrorists. Yeah, the pirates might do it again as they know there's a potential reward but hopefully the group is small and it can be taken out before it has another chance.

Ah ha - "private individuals" paid the ransom. what generosity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The correspondent says £800,000 was paid, in part by a village in Somalia, the mayor of Adado has been helping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose we'll have to wait till the next people get kidnapped now they know they'll get money. :(
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha nothing on the BBC news channel yet! Surely someone there must be watching sky!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even CNN have it. Are the journos still acting like they're on strike?

It still wouldnt surprise me to hear the source of that cash is ultimately the UK government, maybe in return for some trade favor or diplomatic effort for the somali government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even CNN have it. Are the journos still acting like they're on strike.

According to Points of View the Beeb are not adverse to giving out news they haven't confirmed yet.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Great to hear that they're free. :D

Hopefully the next bunch of pirates will have the DUTCH to deal with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose we'll have to wait till the next people get kidnapped now they know they'll get money. :(

Oh FFS! ;) Can't you just be pleased that these people are free? It's wonderful news and their friends and families must be so relieved, not to mention the couple themselves.

WONDERFUL NEWS to wake up to! :):):):):)
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Ha ha nothing on the BBC news channel yet! Surely someone there must be watching sky!!!

Most odd, re: the BBC.

I got up about half an hour ago, looked at the BBC website and nothing about it. My mum phoned me up with the news, and I said it must have only juts happened as nothing on the BBC, but she said it had been on Sky for a couple of hours.

Just gone back to the BBC and still nothing on the web or on telly....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Most odd, re: the BBC.

I got up about half an hour ago, looked at the BBC website and nothing about it. My mum phoned me up with the news, and I said it must have only juts happened as nothing on the BBC, but she said it had been on Sky for a couple of hours.

Just gone back to the BBC and still nothing on the web or on telly....

It is strange.. how long does it take to get a confirmation? Surely the foreign office must be able to give them verification. Are they also snoozing in the news room there? Guardian doesnt have it either despite saying its front page was updated a minute ago.
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    I just found out by a strange coincidence - I was looking back at some of my old threads and found this one I started nearly a year ago http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1174814

I was going to bump it up to ask if there was any news and thought I'd have a quick google first - I thought I was seeing things when the results showed they'd been released 45 mins earlier :eek: Spooky or what!!!

I hadn't even turned the TV on this morning so it wasn't like I'd heard something subconsciously
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    so glad they're free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    It is strange.. how long does it take to get a confirmation? Surely the foreign office must be able to give them verification. Are they also snoozing in the news room there? Guardian doesnt have it either despite saying its front page was updated a minute ago.

I cant believe that sky had this story at 6am this morning but the bbc still has not even said a word.
    Its all about burma still on there.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Well, it's lunchtime on a Sunday in Somalia.
    AFAIK, Adado is a good way from Mogadishu so getting somebody up there will probably take several hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suki c wrote: »
    I hadn't even turned the TV on this morning so it wasn't like I'd heard something subconsciously

Depending on the channel, TV wouldn't have given you any clues anyway...

Still nothing at all on the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Well, it's lunchtime on a Sunday in Somalia.
    AFAIK, Adado is a good way from Mogadishu so getting somebody up there will probably take several hours.

Doesn't stop them having a 'Reports the Chandlers have been freed' ticker rolling, though, does it....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it looks like sky are the single source for the story.... and the foreign office must be refusing to comment at the moment, for whatever reason. I'm sure Sky wouldnt release this without being as sure as they can be on the details though.
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Great to hear that they're free. :D

Hopefully the next bunch of pirates will have the DUTCH to deal with.

That video is like COD :cool: Didn't see anybody call in their UAV though.
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Still nothing at all on the BBC.

They don't operate on rumour. They'll report as soon as they get somebody up there to DNA test the Chandlers and compare known dental records.