New SkyHD box coming March 15th to replace the standard SD box

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looks like they are finally running out of standard digiboxes, because from March 15th a new SkyHD (not a typo) box is being launched.

As it's name implies, it's a HD box without Sky+ (and Anytime).
Outputs have also been reduced to just one SCART and one HDMI. There is no RF out at all so you won't be able to use a Magic Eye with one.
Curiously Ethernet and USB ports are still included.

From the picture it looks similar to the 1TB box (all black)

Comments

• THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    Looks like they are finally running out of standard digiboxes, because from March 15th a new SkyHD (not a typo) box is being launched.

As it's name implies, it's a HD box without Sky+ (and Anytime).
    Outputs have also been reduced to just one SCART and one HDMI. There is no RF out at all so you won't be able to use a Magic Eye with one.
    Curiously Ethernet and USB ports are still included.

From the picture it looks similar to the 1TB box (all black)

Can you give the source for this pierce of information?
    Ian.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly it appears not to have been publically announced yet, nothing on the website at all nor anywhere else.
    I imagine it won't get a lot of fanfare, Sky+HD will likely still be promoted ahead of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this mean that if you order Freesatfromsky to be installed you will get a HD box?
  • BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true then I'll definately be having one for the bedroom.
  • omar comerfordomar comerford Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I can confirm that all the info in this threat is true here's De info.. Firthy2002 posted earlier today

On March 15th, Sky is launching a brand new and improved SkyHD Box for both existing and new Sky Multiroom customers!

this fantastic new HD Ready Digibox is replacing the standard (SD) Digibox for Multiroom in the meantime they can access free to air HD channels.

* It has the new HD TV Sky Guide allowing customers to browse what’s on whilst at the same time continuing to watch their current programme in the mini-screen.
    * It’s smaller with a new, sleek, modern design and high gloss finish which can be stored vertically or horizontally in the home – making it more versatile than ever before.

Please note:

* The new SkyHD box is not a PVR. It does not have a hard disk drive or Sky+ functionality
    * Sky Anytime and recording functionality is not available.
    * The planner function will however allow customers to set reminders.
    * The SkyHD box will be shipped with the standard Sky+HD remote control.
    * As there is no PVR functionality, the customer should be informed that the 6 centre buttons used for recording and playback will not operate the SkyHD box.
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit crap they are starting to do away with rf out - I always like the option to extend with the magic eye into another room. Great when you want a sky feed, but don't use it enough to warrant a multiroom charge.

Any pictures btw?
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also a bit carp they give you a sky HD remote with the redundant playback and recording buttons.

you would have thought they would just have given you a standard remote, pre programmed into sky HD mode.

But hang on, it's also a bit carp that it used the "HD" remote command set, thus ensuring clashes with other boxes. would have been better to stick to the standard remote command set.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sky are supplying a HD remote, it makes you wonder if they have designed the box so that a hard drive (from Sky) can be plugged in or added onto the box somehow., and the box can then be used as a PVR.
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems unlikely, but it's an idea fits in with the fact it comes with Ethernet and USB I suppose.

How much more do you think it costs sky to add in a hard drive and fan (considering they bulk buy).
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    How much extra would it cost for existing subscribers? (Got multiroom here and might see about the old man getting it)
  • Presenter100Presenter100 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll find they are supplying the Sky+HD remote to cut costs.

Only having to make one type of remote means they can shut down the production line that makes the old design.

Plus by supplying a HD box with the new HD software on means they only have to keep on top of one type of EPG updates. I remember a while ago reading that the old EPG software was stretched to it's limits of development. The new EPG works in a slightly differewnt way for storing EPG info etc, and can stand up to having many more channels etc.

That's all (I think).

The box is designed for people with multiroom that want HD in a second room and is cheaper for them to manufacture than Sky+HD boxes, so if a customer doesn't stipulate Sky+HD for the second room, they get a box that is much cheaper to supply.

Remeber, at some point in the (probably distant) future sky will switch off their SD channels, dump the HD subs and they can manage this better if there are less SD boxes out there.

I wouldn't be supprised if Freeview faze out SD boxes in the next couple of years. Once Digital Switchover is complete and DDT HD arrives across the country they will want to encourage take up. By not supplying an SD box, this forces peoples hand. Sky are doing a similar thing now because they are at the forfront of HD. Where Sky go, the rest follow!
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IPlus by supplying a HD box with the new HD software on means they only have to keep on top of one type of EPG updates. I remember a while ago reading that the old EPG software was stretched to it's limits of development. The new EPG works in a slightly differewnt way for storing EPG info etc, and can stand up to having many more channels etc.

That's an interesting point.

A key feature of the new EPG is that it caches the EPG data to the HDD. That allows you to view full EPG data for all channels from the search and scan banner.

This new box will also have the mini tv screen, so you can continue watching your channel while browsing the EPG.

Since this box has only 1 feed, therefore it will have to cache the EPG somewhere to achieve all of that.

So does it have a small HDD just for that? or a solid state drive instead? or just lots more RAM?

I wonder how long we have to wait for someone to get hold of one of these, take the lid off, work out how it works and post some pictures.
  • davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the same strategy Virgin have had for the last year or so. They have an HD+ box and a HD non recording box.
    But both Virgin boxes do TV on demand as well.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from maybe multi-room it's hard to see why anyone would want a Sky box that doesn't record?:confused:

The Sky+ features are free if you subscribe to Sky and having recording features must rank well above HD for the vast majority of people. (Don't get me wrong, I love HD but not at the expense of PVR features).

So who is this box aimed at? Is it just multi-room?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,494
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Apart from maybe multi-room it's hard to see why anyone would want a Sky box that doesn't record?:confused:

The Sky+ features are free if you subscribe to Sky and having recording features must rank well above HD for the vast majority of people. (Don't get me wrong, I love HD but not at the expense of PVR features).

Fairly obviously, as it's not available otherwise.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

It depends on whether they start using it for FreesatFromSky installs as well - that would give serious competition for non PVR freesat installs (of which there a fairly large number so there must be a viable market for non PVR HD boxes which you seem to doubt) with its additional FTV channels (11 at present going down to 10 when Channel 4HD goes FTA).

As it presumably it will be a lot lower cost alternative to an additional HD+ box (at present £199) there will probably a large market for a second bedroom box even if they don't take the multiroom HD sub and merely get the free HD channels.
  • tricky22tricky22 Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant understand why that have not put a harddisk in this.

Even with one feed coming in and say you are using in bedroom, would be handy to press record if you want to go to sleep.

I guess most people use the one in the living room for main TV watching

Does seem like spoiling the ship for twopence of tar.
    Forum Member
    tricky22 wrote: »

What would be the point? - they could just supply the existing PVR.

The entire point of the HD box mentioned here is just as a replacement for the discontinued SD box, which was only available as a multiroom box anyway.

To be honest, you don't really want a box with an HDD in your bedroom, as it's likely to keep you awake.
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering when Sky were going to introduce the Non PVR version of the Sky HD box, I wonder if it will look like the Pace BSKYB 2200, which I got when I first got Sky Digital. I gave this box to a work colleague, She tells me it is still working.
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest, you don't really want a box with an HDD in your bedroom, as it's likely to keep you awake.

You must be an extremely light sleeper then:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'd help Sky if they could swap all of the SD channels over to H.264. The new HD box will be able to decode this (obviously). It'd save on bandwidth costs.

Problem is, getting all of the people with old boxes to switch to the new ones.
    Forum Member
    Tom123 wrote: »
    You must be an extremely light sleeper then:p

It's a very common complaint on these forums, and from customers in general - any kind of PVR in a bedroom can be too noisey.
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise that but still...
    I have a DRX890 in my bedroom. It's pretty silent and never disturbed my sleep
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    tricky22 wrote: »

Even with one feed coming in and say you are using in bedroom, would be handy to press record if you want to go to sleep.

I guess most people use the one in the living room for main TV watching

Does seem like spoiling the ship for twopence of tar.

Sky Germany offer usb hard discs for some of there single tuner boxes. The new sky uk box got an usb port.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guess it makes sense to some degree for furture proofing and dumping older SD boxes with their limitations but why not just make PVR HD boxes ? surely mass production of 2 HD PVR's is more cost effective and offers upgradeable options and increased profit potential for Sky?

So no RF output meaning that if this is used as a main box then the viewer can't plug in a nice and cheap magic eye for the other room and instead will have to (cue drum roll) have a multiroom subscription. Oh how unfortunate

So how have Sky crippled the box to also not work with scart video senders I wonder? :D

cynical, me? :D