"Swagger Jagger" released on July 31 - predictions of chart placement please!

Comments

• Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to say what I hope it charts at because it would be mean. It doesn't bother me either way but I think this song is an absolute abomination. It's shockingly bad.

That said, it will probably get to #1. I'll predict top 10 though. There are a lot of people with horrible taste in music in this country!
  • Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I totally agree and I worry for the single of 1D's. Luckily Matt and Rebecca have other input which hopefully will help or does Simon Cowell (control freak) have the final say in everything?

I think 1D will be fine. They are bound to go for typical boyband material, which will be catchy if not a little safe. My daughter and her friends love their first single already - and they haven't heard it yet.:rolleyes: Simon probably understands the market they are in more than any other. With Cher, he likes the idea of having an artist in that market, but he doesn't really get what kind of fans they are - hence he must think Swagger Jagger is good.

Matt and Rebecca do indeed have the problem of Simon having the final say - it is a part of the 50:50 deals they have. Luckily for them, he can only have a say on the actual material they produce (and he is not really involved at the production stage). As long as everything they are recording is great, then he will find it hard to do much damage.
  • wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    Crabbie123 wrote: »
    I think 1D will be fine. They are bound to go for typical boyband material, which will be catchy if not a little safe. My daughter and her friends love their first single already - and they haven't heard it yet.:rolleyes: Simon probably understands the market they are in more than any other. With Cher, he likes the idea of having an artist in that market, but he doesn't really get what kind of fans they are - hence he must think Swagger Jagger is good.

Matt and Rebecca do indeed have the problem of Simon having the final say - it is a part of the 50:50 deals they have. Luckily for them, he can only have a say on the actual material they produce (and he is not really involved at the production stage). As long as everything they are recording is great, then he will find it hard to do much damage.

way to set the bar really high there Crabbie:D

I have always thought Simon saw Cher has being his ticket to credibility and 1D as a short term cash cow. At the moment he seems to be milking the cow pretty well - with posters, books adverts - though no actual music on the horizon yet - they may well be the act that proves beyond doubt that you can be huge without releasing anything at all - though I assume if they want to tour they will need an album.

Matt and Rebecca are aimed at a totally different market and I am hoping the co-labels get to manage them or I worry for their future.

Cher just totally mystifies me - she could be so great but she needs to be edgy and different to do that - and a playground song well - it just isn't. I think it will do well in the 8-14 age group but that really isn't where she should be aimed, at least in my view
    Forum Member
    way to set the bar really high there Crabbie:D

I have always thought Simon saw Cher has being his ticket to credibility and 1D as a short term cash cow. At the moment he seems to be milking the cow pretty well - with posters, books adverts - though no actual music on the horizon yet - they may well be the act that proves beyond doubt that you can be huge without releasing anything at all - though I assume if they want to tour they will need an album.

Matt and Rebecca are aimed at a totally different market and I am hoping the co-labels get to manage them or I worry for their future.

Cher just totally mystifies me - she could be so great but she needs to be edgy and different to do that - and a playground song well - it just isn't. I think it will do well in the 8-14 age group but that really isn't where she should be aimed, at least in my view

I have no idea with Rebecca how it's working, but with Matt all the recent newsletters and management updates have Columbia stamped on them. Not a sign of SyCo in sight. The impression appears to be that Columbia are 100% behind the production and PR/marketing, whilst Simon will just come in at the end to give the nod on which songs will be on the final album.
  • wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    I have no idea with Rebecca how it's working, but with Matt all the recent newsletters and management updates have Columbia stamped on them. Not a sign of SyCo in sight. The impression appears to be that Columbia are 100% behind the production and PR/marketing, whilst Simon will just come in at the end to give the nod on which songs will be on the final album.

that does seem to be the case at the moment - but not sure how that will work in respect of promotions budget which presumably both labels will need to sign off on.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no idea. I'm not overkeen on it but i haven't been keen on a no1 for about 5yrs, so i have no idea what the public's purchasing habits are in that respect:p It's not a great song but since when has the singles charts been a representation of greatness?

even the ultra dreary 'when we collide' got to number 1:eek: :p so owt can happen;)

it's going to have limited appeal outside her fanbase, so it's all down to those numbers i suppose. A strange decision on the whole imo but there y'go.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Chris Moyles show (apart from Aled) hated it but did give it loads of publicity by making a parody of it to the tune of my darling clementine and then playing it loads
    I would love to have heard that. :D
    Cant really tell how well or badly it will do as the chart success or failure of some songs frequently baffles me. The song is terrible though but that doesnt mean it will flop and I expect a lot of marketing will be going on to ensure some type of success. ;)
    Forum Member
    no idea. I'm not overkeen on it but i haven't been keen on a no1 for about 5yrs, so i have no idea what the public's purchasing habits are in that respect:p It's not a great song but since when has the singles charts been a representation of greatness?

even the ultra dreary 'when we collide' got to number 1:eek: :p so owt can happen;)

it's going to have limited appeal outside her fanbase, so it's all down to those numbers i suppose. A strange decision on the whole imo but there y'go.

Yes - so dreary it has sold over 970,000 in the UK and a further 100,000 in Ireland. Maybe not everyone shares your taste in music? I certainly didn't find it dreary whereas I find Swagger Jagger fairly embarrassing, particularly given the market I was under the impression Cher is aiming at. (And I am not a Cher hater btw - I was very impressed by her at the tour).
  • deanieboydeanieboy Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think - just outside top 10, maybe 11 or 12...being very generous with that though!!

Hope - scraping into the top 100, like 99 - it's an appalling song and the public should never have been submitted to it!! :eek: Again being generous with that!! :D
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member
    Its either going to be a monster hit or be an uber flop

I'm hoping for the latter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - so dreary it has sold over 970,000 in the UK and a further 100,000 in Ireland. Maybe not everyone shares your taste in music? I certainly didn't find it dreary whereas I find Swagger Jagger fairly embarrassing, particularly given the market I was under the impression Cher is aiming at. (And I am not a Cher hater btw - I was very impressed by her at the tour).

i knew someone would pick that up;)

anyhow, sales figures merely measure popularity, not quality. But if your gonna use figures like that i suppose i could argue approx 59m people in the uk rejected it as dreary, therefore they win:D
  • derbrainderbrain Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think no1 in weeks one or two

then it'll nose-dive as there'll be no-one else interested enough to buy it.

Just think what the world would be like if it had been released now, It would be played to death up and down the costas. Hopefully it's missed that slot.:eek:

:D:D
  • batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    soullover wrote: »
    Well if her PR had not made sure that she was seen and photographed all over the place I'd have said it wouldn't chart at all ;). Seeing as chart success is often in direct proportion to column inches I'd say Top 5.

Yes, that's why all of Katie Price's endeavors in music have reached number one.

Your logic is flawed.
  • emmaxfemmaxf Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Matt and Rebecca do indeed have the problem of Simon having the final say - it is a part of the 50:50 deals they have. Luckily for them, he can only have a say on the actual material they produce (and he is not really involved at the production stage).

Oh, really? And what is the source of your insight into the details of the arrangement between the parties involved. (Besides wishful thinking, I mean. :))
    Yes - so dreary it has sold over 970,000 in the UK and a further 100,000 in Ireland.

So it's quantity equals quality then, is it?

This is exactly like justifying all the shenanigans surrounding X Factor by saying that twenty million people watch it so it's all good.

As for Swagger Jagger, Top 3 is dead certain.
    Forum Member
    i knew someone would pick that up;)

anyhow, sales figures merely measure popularity, not quality. But if your gonna use figures like that i suppose i could argue approx 59m people in the uk rejected it as dreary, therefore they win:D

Well based on that logic that means all singles sold in the UK in 2010 were losers.
    Forum Member
    emmaxf wrote: »
    Oh, really? And what is the source of your insight into the details of the arrangement between the parties involved. (Besides wishful thinking, I mean. :))

So it's quantity equals quality then, is it?

This is exactly like justifying all the shenanigans surrounding X Factor by saying that twenty million people watch it so it's all good.

Gosh your love of slagging off Matt makes me so mindful of the poster called Iloathedannii - you could almost be one and the same person. Whatever happened to him/her? - seems to have disappeared.
    Forum Member
    emmaxf wrote: »

So it's quantity equals quality then, is it?This is exactly like justifying all the shenanigans surrounding X Factor by saying that twenty million people watch it so it's all good.

Not always - but it does mean over a million people liked it enough to spend money on it. Joe's opinion is that it is dreary - I, on the other hand, love it. We can't all have the same taste.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well based on that logic that means all singles sold in the UK in 2010 were losers.

but by your logic all sorts of utter rubbish is quality. so who's logic is the most illogical?

it's a draw i reckon;)

let's just say sometimes quality is popular, sometimes rubbish is, and we can't distinguish between the 2 by sales figures alone.

edit: i'm talking generally now, not about wwc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll probably get to number 1 but hope it's a major flop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think - #15 - #30
    Hope - does not chart :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the basis that songs I deem good chart nowhere and songs I can't switch off fast enough are hits, I'm saying this will be a hit.;)

Could easily be #1 if it gets sufficient airplay (and hype).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    The better version of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItEYi7fBQY8 REMIX :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I do like Cher as a person because I think stroppy teenagers are hilarious but that song... My god.

Think the hype will get it to #1

Hope that it's treated as a unilateral act of aggression on the part of Syco and everyone involved is summoned to the Hague. :D
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yawn. The very nature of forums is that people make posts reflecting their own opinions or tastes. There is no need to point this fact out every time someone posts an opinion contrary to your own. The whole "well thats just your opinion" line is ridiculous, a base level of debate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    For them who saying it's Cher who's targeting the kids market its clearly more Syco