DS's Next Top Guilty Pleasure - Act Reveal!

Comments

• Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is Paloma GUILTY?! lol
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taylor is good :)
  • Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a love story.

Another one I'm fond of, and she's another of The Hunger Games clan <3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    who has helpfully prepared this lovely introduction for her act!

Okay, so what lots of people know about Taylor Swift is that she dates lots of boys and writes bad country songs about them. (Except most of her recent stuff has been more pop than country, but whatever. I digress.) What people don't know about Taylor is that she's amazing. Her songs have this incredible quality of resonating with millions of people despite being so specific; in fact, it's in the specificity of her lyrics that so many people, including me, connect with them. She's writing about universal themes - love, heartbreak, the desire to leave childhood behind, the desire to be a kid again - but she makes these themes real instead of trite and replayed.

And let's not forget that she's the one writing this stuff: she wrote her last album entirely on her own, which she says was accidental but which I think correlates perfectly with the themes of the album (independence, growing up, breaking away). There are tons of pop artists, many way older than Taylor, who haven't achieved that level of independence. She's younger than me and she's already a pro in the music industry. I've been a fan since her first album, back when she was pretty unknown outside of country circles, and I am constantly awed by how much she's grown since then, both as an artist and as a person. So, yes, I am a total Taylor Swift stan, and I don't feel guilty about this in the slightest.

Oh I'm actually glad if anyone else had to mentor her it's you, you're defo a real fan!! SO excited for Taylor!!!
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    The next mentor in the competition is JordanC55!
    Forum Member
    who will be mentoring the exceptional
    Selena Gomez & the Scene
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    who will be mentoring the exceptional
    Selena Gomez & the Scene

Hahahah a TOTAL guilty pleasure of mine! Love it!
    Forum Member
    The next mentor to introduce is the remarkable Dylanpartyon!
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im following in the disney theme atm

So hi all. My act is a singer, and actress. She is a big disney star, that although I really should hate her, she is actually a favourite artist of mine. She has recently left disney channel, due to personal problems, which she has had many. But she has used these struggles and created some absolutly stunning songs. Her songs span a wide range of genres, for pop, to rocky-pop, to R&B and even further. One of which many will know, and is Skyscrapper. Yes my act is Demi Lovato
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard any Selena Gomez songs so I'm looking forward to seeing this
  • Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, somebody I know is forever listening to Selena, he comes up on Spotify and I'm like, again?

Demi I like a tad as well.
    Forum Member
    EndOfSanity is the next mentor taking part in the game!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Selena
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Demi is another guilty one of mine!
    Forum Member
    and he has chosen the delightfully old-school
    Culture Club!
    Forum Member
    Also in the game is the current NTA champion, hoping to repeat his success, it's cheekypeter!
  • cheekypetercheekypeter Posts: 6,552
    Forum Member
    Well, let’s be honest, my act is probably HATED, certainly currently. A couple of the reasons for this are too many line-up changes and a perceived loss of identity/song quality, but in fact all 4 incarnations of them have some cracking hidden gems. Although I will use some hits if I progress, quite a bit of my campaign will involve fantastic pop songs you may not know unless you are a big fan. Ladies and gents, I bring you…
    … the Sugababes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Sugababes, got a couple of albums when I was younger :)
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a wide range of acts, haha. I freakin' LOVE Paloma Faith & Demi Lovato! <3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always liked Sugababes, use Gen 1 and 2 au lieu de 3 though
    Forum Member
    This line up is so exciting! Another mentor taking part is the excellent Satanel!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a wide range of acts, haha. I freakin' LOVE Paloma Faith & Demi Lovato! <3

Hai Kelly :D
    Forum Member
    Zak appears to have wrote an essay to introduce his act!

Well, my the artist I decided to choose as my guilty pleasure was a female who, as most of you know, I am massively fond of her appearance! The first clue at my disposal is how she is addressed, and the answer is mononymously. She natively speaks Spanish (as well as fluent English, Portuguese and has a vast knowledge of the languages Italian, French, Catalan and Arabic).

She became acknowledged in school when she demonstrated her vocal ability with rock and roll, Latin and Arabic influences, as well as her own personal twist on the art ‘belly dancing’. But in terms of success, her first album in 1995, ‘Pies Descalzos’, brought her initial fame in Latin America and Spain, and her 1998 album named ‘Donde Estan los Ladrones?’ was a critical success selling over seven million copies worldwide!

Then, with her first English sale ‘Whenever, Wherever’, it rapidly became the best selling single of 2002 as she broke through into the English-speaking world with the release of Laundry Service, which sold well over thirteen million copies worldwide! Her next albums of ‘Fijacion Oral Vol.1’ and ‘Oral Fixation Vol. 2’ only reinforced her success with a particular number, in which I’m hoping for a ‘Body Part’ theme in this competition, with Hips Don’t Lie.

She has effectively won two Grammy Awards, eight Latin Grammy Awards, twelve Billboard Latin Music Awards and has been Golden-Globe-nominated. She is also the highest-selling Colombian artist of all time, and the second most successful female Latin singer (so far!), behind Gloria Estefan, having sold over seventy million albums worldwide.

In the Autumn of 2009, the artist I have chosen released the next album of ‘She Wolf’, gaining a lot of critical praise for her eccentricity and writing skills. Then, in 2010m the official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup was ‘Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)’ and rapidly became the biggest selling World Cup song of al tiem – on YouTube being the 4th most watched video of all time (with well over 450 million views).

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Shakira!
    Forum Member
    Carlisle156 is our next mentor!
  • aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool story, zak.

:p