Options

Old Menu Problem....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
Forum Member
Hi,
Can't understand this... I've bought a Sky HD box off ebay, to use as a second box. Problem is, all the menus and services screen appear as though I'm using an old type digibox, ie, the older type blue vertical menus. It's a Thomson DSI8215SG. Any ideas please ?

Comments

• Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's probably right. Which firmware version is it running? Has it an upgraded PSU?
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some might say lucky you, just keep on using the nice crisp clean, efficient OLD EPG.

you could try a forced software update if you want to get it onto the new EPG unplug the power, press and hold the backup button, plug in the power lead and keep holding the backup button down until all 4 front panel lights come on. Then wait 15 minutes or so for the software to update.

The thomson HD boxes are not being supported any more, so even if you do get the new style EPG to download to it, don't expect it to ever be updated, so all the bugs it has will be there forever.

That box must have been out of use for at least 3 years to have missed updating to the new EPG. I wonder what it's power supply is like? don't be too surprised if it starts giving trouble some time soon. I do hope you didn't pay too much for it.

These old thomsons are still handy for people like me that use the component HD video output but that's about the only compelling reason to choose a thomson over the newer, still supported, sky HD boxes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Thanks both. Didn't pay much, just need it for the spare room. I'll see if I get on with the old version, if not, I'll try the forced download.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi, I know this thread is quite old now but I'm about to try and put a Thomson DSI8215SG in as a second box, are you still running one or has this model had its day now?
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty much had it's day as a subscription box, as recent changes mean it probably won't continue receiving subscription HD channels as they are not updating the software on these boxes to keep up with changes.

But for use as a freesat from sky box, they have some life left in them yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Ah I see, I expected that would probably be the case :/ Thanks for the info.