Options

Fuss over Ulster Rugby club players blacking up

Comments

• Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I shall reword it to make my meaning clearer....

'further proving to other people the perception of us being backward, ignorant, rascists'... better?

You've seen some of the negative comments posted on this about NI... its depressing as its largely untrue... we really don't need this kind of thing adding to our already bad PR.

And I'm still totally baffled as to why you thought I hated Ulster...? I would prefer living here to any other province in Ireland.. its great craic.
    OK, fair enough.
    I take that back.
    It was just the way you wrote it made me think you were having a dig at anything Ulster related.

Yes peoples views, and at times are understandable, are not always correct.
    Look at the way things worked out yesterday.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I have seen the guy with a chain....still don't understand the fuss.

By dressing black I meant the bodypaint, sorry if that wasn't obvious. It would be hard to dress as a black man without the bodypaint.

What do chains have to do with "dressing up black"?
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    OK, fair enough.
    I take that back.
    It was just the way you wrote it made me think you were having a dig at anything Ulster related.

Yes peoples views, and at times are understandable, are not always correct.
    Look at the way things worked out yesterday.

Yep - the peaceful outcome was great and will help improve the outside perception.. We were in danger of people expecting newss of riots every summer.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people really going to defend this? Christ...
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Are people really going to defend this? Christ...

Well, yes!! They haven't done it in a Black and White Minstrel way with massive white lips etc. They've JUST coloured their skin to make them look more Ethiopian. Not a problem at all. It's a factual statement not done to ridicule.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    What do chains have to do with "dressing up black"?

I thought I explained this. When I said dressing black I meant the black bodypaint. I am not sure of the relevance of some of the props they chose. The picture isn't that clear, but it looks to me more like a leopard skin belt rather than a chain.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Well, yes!! They haven't done it in a Black and White Minstrel way with massive white lips etc. They've JUST coloured their skin to make them look more Ethiopian. Not a problem at all. It's a factual statement not done to ridicule.

One of them has a chain on...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    One of them has a chain on...

It looks more like a leopard skin belt to me from that pic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    No I have seen the guy with a chain....still don't understand the fuss.

By dressing black I meant the bodypaint, sorry if that wasn't obvious. It would be hard to dress as a black man without the bodypaint.

If it is indeed a chain around his neck and hands, how can you not see the problem with that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is indeed a chain around his neck and hands, how can you not see the problem with that?

I don't think it is a chain.

If it was I could see how it could be offensive.

Dressing up, in general, as a black person for fancy dress however is not offensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is a chain.

If it was I could see how it could be offensive.

Dressing up, in general, as a black person for fancy dress however is not offensive.

Even though a few minutes ago you couldn't see the fuss in chains? :confused:

His hands are clearly tied up. What, other than slavery, could that possibly allude to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though a few minutes ago you couldn't see the fuss in chains? :confused:

His hands are clearly tied up. What, other than slavery, could that possibly allude to?

Yes I gave it some thought and changed my mind :)

To me it looks like a leopard print belt, which would tie in with the fancy dress outfit. I would have to ask the chap what the intent was.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have done Mexican themed fancy dress before, is this racist too?

Not to mention that every fancy dress place that sells the MT T costume, include an optional face paint to black up. Nothing racist at all about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention that every fancy dress place that sells the MT T costume, include an optional face paint to black up. Nothing racist at all about it.

I agree with you, but I am sure some people would find it racist. Why I am not sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I gave it some thought and changed my mind :)

To me it looks like a leopard print belt, which would tie in with the fancy dress outfit. I would have to ask the chap what the intent was.

Yes. A really really long belt wrapped abound his neck and wrists. Could signify, literally, anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. A really really long belt wrapped abound his neck and wrists. Could signify, literally, anything.

Is it just that one member of the team you find offensive, or dressing up as black in general?
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Choosing to dress in an obviously potentially offensive way for fancy dress is pretty pathetic. Doing so as someone who is - admittedly minorly - in the public eye is just ridiculous.

It beggars belief every time I see or hear of someone who has 'blacked up' in this day and age. I don't get what thought process or even lack of thought process causes someone to do that.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that a burger packet dangling from his head?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just that one member of the team you find offensive, or dressing up as black in general?

I'm not offended, but I don't consider myself the arbiter of offence, though given the history behind blacking up, I can understand why not everyone sees the humour. But yeah, I probably would have ignored the story if it hadn't been for the chains.

And just so we're clear, I'm not even calling these rugby players racist. Just idiots.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks more like a leopard skin belt to me from that pic.

It looks like tinsel to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Choosing to dress in an obviously potentially offensive way for fancy dress is pretty pathetic. .
    I know someone who went to and won a fancy dress party as a penis. :):cool:
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand the need to have what resembles a chain around that fella's neck.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    I know someone who went to and won a fancy dress party as a penis. :):cool:

Without knowing the person in question it sounds like they didn't even need to dress up.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Without knowing the person in question it sounds like they didn't even need to dress up.....

No, it was just the right type of Club to do it in. :kitty:
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another load of fuss over nothing!