BBC One O'Clock news 14/8/14

deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What a catastrophe so far. Have they got a 5 year old running the gallery. First we see the camera changing angle, then the titles failed and then a long pause after a VT ended. Poor Reeta Chakrabarti!

Comments

• Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Oh no!!!!!!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These things happen with live TV I'm afraid. How fortuitous the BBC had their cameras and a helicopter there when the police raided Sir Cliff Richard's pad in Berkshire.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    These things happen with live TV I'm afraid. How fortuitous the BBC had their cameras and a helicopter there when the police raided Sir Cliff Richard's pad in Berkshire.

The police often seem to tip off major broadcasters to any raids such as this.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as Cliff alluded to in his statement this afternoon.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly seemed a bit chaotic for a few minutes. I wonder what happened?

But, as said above, that is live TV for you. Nothing compared with the old days of "Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible".
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought Leveson had something to say about the police tipping off press before arrests.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I thought Leveson had something to say about the police tipping off press before arrests.

Lots of members of public work in police stations as admin and now doubt make a little extra tipping off the media.

In the same way when you in hospital a nice person from a solicitors turns up to offer you help to sue - how did they know you was there? hmmm.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Police tip offs have been happening for decades and will carry on regardless of what the Leveson inquiry said.
    They'll just do it in a more under-the-counter manner.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member

Well, the raid stared at 10:30 am and BBC News did not start reporting it until 1pm (ish) I dont know about SKY news.

Plenty of time for word to get out, be it from the police themselves, a neighbor, press sources and so on after the raid started and get cameras and Arnie Pye in the Sky there.

I'm not sure Levison said anything about coverage of on going breaking news.

Now I do not know, maybe someone could correct me, but were cameras and reporters there before and as the raid started?
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone wants to see it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Cd4RxOTQg#t=59&hd=1&hd=1

That's what happens when you automate everything. Apparently the cameras change position automatically when the next item on the running order is selected. There isn't even anyone actually in the gallery operating them now (except when they go wrong).

Everywhere else (Sky and ITN) has an op sitting in the gallery controling them.

"The integrated Dalet and Mosart system will control studio devices such as vision and audio mixers, video ingest/playout servers, A/V routers, graphics, plus camera robotics and lighting.

It will also integrate with a number of third-party systems including newsroom computer and MAM systems."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:imAb0lc72-gJ:www.broadcastnow.co.uk/techfacils/dalet-secures-bbc-news-automation-deal/5013642.article+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and the 6 bulletin hasn't been much better! :D A great big long pause at the start of the bulletin from Reeta - the person in charge must have the day off today! :o
  • dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and the 6 bulletin hasn't been much better! :D A great big long pause at the start of the bulletin from Reeta - the person in charge must have the day off today! :o

Well, it proves one thing, that is, what a real professional Reeta C is
    She kept things together when everything was collapsing all around her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the raid stared at 10:30 am and BBC News did not start reporting it until 1pm (ish) I dont know about SKY news.

Plenty of time for word to get out, be it from the police themselves, a neighbor, press sources and so on after the raid started and get cameras and Arnie Pye in the Sky there.

I'm not sure Levison said anything about coverage of on going breaking news.

Now I do not know, maybe someone could correct me, but were cameras and reporters there before and as the raid started?

The BBC showed the convoy of police cars arriving - eight police officers needed five cars apparently driving down from Yorkshire which must have impressed the rate payers who fund South Yorkshire Police.Wouldn't it have been cheaper to hire a mini bus ?
    Forum Member
    The BBC showed the convoy of police cars arriving - eight police officers needed five cars apparently driving down from Yorkshire which must have impressed the rate payers who fund South Yorkshire Police.Wouldn't it have been cheaper to hire a mini bus ?

Thank you.
    Then the police clearly did tip off the media so they would be there. Not in itself illegal but I would rather they got on with their business and then inform the media whilst or after the event has happened, rather than grandstanding what could potentially be an innocent man.

It does seem arse about face.

It will be interesting if the police turn this 'historic abuse' spotlight on themselves in the coming years, but I somehow doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We are used to paying for them and getting nothing in return, I once went to one of their monthly public meetings they really didn't want to be there in fact the officer in charge said as much.

Problem is South Yorkshire police are already under scrutiny for Hillsborough & other things so they had better know what they are doing today in this instance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.
    Then the police clearly did tip off the media so they would be there. Not in itself illegal but I would rather they got on with their business and then inform the media whilst or after the event has happened, rather than grandstanding what could potentially be an innocent man.

It does seem arse about face.

It will be interesting if the police turn this 'historic abuse' spotlight on themselves in the coming years, but I somehow doubt it.

I think it is actually a criminal offence to disclose information about police activities. The BBC seem to have been particularly close to the police on this one.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Lee tweeted before the Cliff news broke "Watch the 1pm news" so i think it was some sort of embargo holding back the news so i guess the media and police were working hand in hand. Maybe the media found out but the police asked them to keep it quiet until they'd done it so not to tip him off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain Lee tweeted before the Cliff news broke "Watch the 1pm news" so i think it was some sort of embargo holding back the news so i guess the media and police were working hand in hand. Maybe the media found out but the police asked them to keep it quiet until they'd done it so not to tip him off.

It has been on the internet a while Daily Mail did a story in February but didn't name him words to the effect of a beloved loved pop star was using his lawyers to fight allegations and was in fear

I won't link to the story but if you google daily mail beloved pop star child abuse you will find the story

Basically the media has been waiting for this to break which is why the BBC reporter was so animated.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Were they tipped off or officially invited? Similar to some filmed police raids at dawn? It is even possible that it was a "scratch my back" offer, "we'll let you in on this as long as you agree to a blackout until xxxx time"
    Forum Member
    I think it is actually a criminal offence to disclose information about police activities. The BBC seem to have been particularly close to the police on this one.

It is a criminal offense to cover police activities, in this case a raid. Really? Even with the consent of the police and further details provided by the police?

It certainly wasn't an undercover raid that the BBC accidentally blew wide open and made up or embellished the facts surrounding the raid.

I assume the BBC did not show the actual beginning of raid live, in this case the arriving police vans, but recorded it and showed it later and began broadcasting the raid live once given permission from the police.

I'm not sure I can blame any media for acting on 'tip off' from the police be it direct or indirect.
  • Spdub2Spdub2 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    According to C4 news one media organisation was tipped off yesterday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having known about the internet allegations for 6 months I have to say I was very surprised when he turned up at Wimbledon this year.

I thought he would not have risked coming here again while it was known he was being looked into.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,981
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    It has been on the internet a while Daily Mail did a story in February but didn't name him words to the effect of a beloved loved pop star was using his lawyers to fight allegations and was in fear

I won't link to the story but if you google daily mail beloved pop star child abuse you will find the story

Basically the media has been waiting for this to break which is why the BBC reporter was so animated.

But you linked the unnamed person to the 1pm news!!!!

Doh!!
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,981
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Having known about the internet allegations for 6 months I have to say I was very surprised when he turned up at Wimbledon this year.

I thought he would not have risked coming here again while it was known he was being looked into.

I note you are from South Yorkshire are the rumours about you true?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    But you linked the unnamed person to the 1pm news!!!!

Doh!!

Huh? I said I wasn't going to link to the story I didn't say I wasn't naming him but what has 1pm news!!! got to do with anything