Options

Has Morrissey got it spot on about the British media.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very eye opening that we live in world that revolves around Big Brother,unlike any other country but we don't talk about the war and other important issues.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/93821/morrissey-says-robin-williams-death-overshadowed-lauren-bacalls

Comments

• Options
    RumerRumer Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Morrissey is the only person who actually speaks out about anything now. Everyone else in the media is part of the establishment and would never say anything that jeopardises their position.
    As for reality tv, I hate the effect it has had on young people in this country but I guess that is another thread.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it is just the vacuous showbiz section, but let me set you straight.
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Very eye opening that we live in world that revolves around Big Brother

No it doesn't
    we don't talk about the war and other important issues.

Yes we do.

Morrissey, as usual, is showing what an out of touch **** he is.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Rumer wrote: »
    Morrissey is the only person who actually speaks out about anything now.

Unlucky for him then that most people realise what an insufferable bore he is, so ignore the twerp and his pretentious rambling.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never take anything serious that he says since his stupidity concerning British identity and Asians in the early nineties.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see that after 30 years Morrissey is still full of shit.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very eye opening that we live in world that revolves around Big Brother,unlike any other country but we don't talk about the war and other important issues.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/93821/morrissey-says-robin-williams-death-overshadowed-lauren-bacalls

The world doesn't revolve around Big Brother, and there is a lot of talk about the war and other issues.

Morrissey is just an outspoken numpty, still trying desperately to be edgy and relevant. What about when he said meat eaters were as bad as paedophiles? And regarding that particular piece you posted - don't get me wrong, I adored Lauren Bacall, but yes, the suicide of a popular film star IS going to overshadow the death of a much older actor, who had not been in the public eye for one time.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the death of one famous person is overshadowed by another. Farrah Fawcett 's death was almost completely over looked as she died on the same day as Michael Jackson. Doesn't mean she was any less significant to many people.

Some papers just don't do news. On the morning after the terrible news from Rotherham, almost all the papers had it as front page news but the only item on the front of the Daily Star (yes, OK, I know) was about Big Brother and White Dee.
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrissey, spouting shite again. Idiot.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes the death of one famous person is overshadowed by another. Farrah Fawcett 's death was almost completely over looked as she died on the same day as Michael Jackson. Doesn't mean she was any less significant to many people.

Some papers just don't do news. On the morning after the terrible news from Rotherham, almost all the papers had it as front page news but the only item on the front of the Daily Star (yes, OK, I know) was about Big Brother and White Dee.

Spot on! I can't believe people still buy newspapers in this day and age.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumer wrote: »
    Morrissey is the only person who actually speaks out about anything now. Everyone else in the media is part of the establishment and would never say anything that jeopardises their position.
    As for reality tv, I hate the effect it has had on young people in this country but I guess that is another thread.

Spot on.

You know last night an an example channel 4s old flagship current affairs show that has been shortened to half an hour from one hour cutting edge ,done a show on "superstar pets" channel 4s cutting edge is fast becoming a joke as a serious investigative programme. Dumbed down you bet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrissey, spouting shite again. Idiot.

You have not been listening with respect i suggest.;-)
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Morrissey showing he's a **** by feeling the need to 'compare' someone's death with another. Idiot :mad: Robin's death was shocking because of the circumstances and his body of work. Doesnt mean Bacall or Attenborough were less important or significant to some people.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]
    Spot on.

You know last night an an example channel 4s old flagship current affairs show that has been shortened to half an hour from one hour cutting edge ,done a show on "superstar pets" channel 4s cutting edge is fast becoming a joke as a serious investigative programme. Dumbed down you bet.

I personally don't understand where all this obsession with so-called 'celebrities' came from. Is there anywhere else as obsessed with these desperate, media **** as the UK?

Channel 5 and ITV seem the biggest offenders, followed by Channel 4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I don't see what Morrissey hopes to achieve by being a dick about Robin Williams death, he could have drawn attention to Lauren Bacall without being a complete tosser. Even if he didn't like Robin Williams, that's no excuse for the implied tone and digs he makes at him...
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

Possibly, but most of us have also got it spot-on about Morrissey: can't sing and takes himself far, far too seriously.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Morrissey showing he's a **** by feeling the need to 'compare' someone's death with another. Idiot :mad: Robin's death was shocking because of the circumstances and his body of work. Doesnt mean Bacall or Attenborough were less important or significant to some people.

Argeed we all are all going to die at some point and the best we can hope for is that like Bacall and Attenborough we live to a ripe old age, achieve much professionally and don't suffer too much in dying. Robin Williams's death is more talked about because it was shocking and sad - a man who probably cheered many people up with his work was unable to pick himself up during a black mood.

Morrisey sadly as per bloody usual is not seeing the wood for the trees here - Bacall and Attenborough are no less valued than Williams but what interests people about Williams is understanding the demons that drove him to take his own life and as with the death of any troubled celeb the important thing is that it gets people talking about them (the demons that is not the celebs).

Possibly dear Stephen is too self obsessed or too addicted to tub-thumping in general (zealot or publicity junkie or some combination of both - take your pick as to motivation here) to understand that actually depression is not in the same category as Big Brother (although BB has had winners that include a transsexual and a tourette's suffer so arguably has possibly contributed something to understanding those issues) it is something that one in three people will suffer from at some point in their lives and if 'celeb obsessed' culture gets people talking about it and promotes understanding of it this is actually a GOOD thing. War is important to talk about but in the UK then depression is more likely to kill you than war which in a sense makes it more important.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrissey needs a beef burger and steak and chips dinner to calm him down.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrisey's just after attention, yet again. I'm actually starting to wonder if he's lost the plot. It's either he's lost the plot or he's just an attention seeker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I personally don't understand where all this obsession with so-called 'celebrities' came from. Is there anywhere else as obsessed with these desperate, media **** as the UK?

Channel 5 and ITV seem the biggest offenders, followed by Channel 4

No neither do i serious documentaries seem to have given sway to trash "cutting edge" last night was a good example.

Its cheap TV is the only reason i can think of and people in the UK seem quite content to sit and consume this cr-p, they really cannot be asked to watch television that challenges their thinking.

Its certainly dumbing down,which is now why my TV hardly ever goes on and i prefer listening to LBC radio. For any meaningful dialogue.

Channel 5,ITV and Channel 5 are definitely the main offenders even BBC three tends to have a better output then those 3.:(

Morrissey makes some good points if people could only forget who it was saying them,and concentrate on their content.

I think it would take a professor in Physcology to come up with a theory to explain peoples obsession with celebrity these days.
  • Options
    Suzy_CatSuzy_Cat Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to break it to Morrissey, but when a very old lady and a very, very old man die of natural causes, it's not news, it's normal. It gets in the news because of their fame and achievements over their long lives.

When a famous person takes their own life rather than dying of natural causes like the other two, THAT is the news story.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzy_Cat wrote: »
    I hate to break it to Morrissey, but when a very old lady and a very, very old man die of natural causes, it's not news, it's normal. It gets in the news because of their fame and achievements over their long lives.

When a famous person takes their own life rather than dying of natural causes like the other two, THAT is the news story.

It's just Morrissey spouting his usual rubbish.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Why does anyone pay any attention to what that prat says ?
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Suzy_Cat wrote: »

All of post: Exactly.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Refuse to take a man seriously who compares meat eaters with paedophiles.
  • Options
    delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morrissey needs a beef burger and steak and chips dinner to calm him down.
    Oooh you :D