Stuff To Do On Friday/Saturday Nights

realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This isn’t an especially serious thread – I’m not massively ‘down’ or anything but I am at a bit of a loose end.

The situation is this: I’m a 30-year-old straight, single male, and I can’t find anything interesting to do on Friday and Saturday nights these days.

From the age of about 18 to 24, I knew at least some of my friends would be out on the town every Friday or Saturday night. I was never massively into clubbing, and I only drink moderately, but I do like bars with music, venues with live music, and traditional pubs. I didn’t go out every week, but I knew it was always there if I wanted it.

From 24 to around 28 it became much less frequent as people began to settle down into relationships, and, if I’m honest, certain members of the group fell out with each other, beyond the point of no return in some cases. However, I still had an old-style night out from time to time.

Now I’m 30. I still see the old gang once every few months or so, but it’s not the same. The conversations are nearly always about weddings and babies, the meet-ups are often overpriced meals in poor restaurants. A few of the ‘old gang’ are still single, but some have become gym obsessives. In general, the group has a lot less in common than it once did.

In some cases, people have responsibilities with babies, which I understand, and in other cases, it seems they want to stay in and watch TV every night – a bottle of wine and a DVD with their wife/girlfriend (fine sometimes, but not every night, thanks). Life moves on, the old gang is effectively dead, I get that, but what about single old me?

It hasn’t been so much of an issue recently because I’ve had financial problems and couldn’t afford to do much, but they’ll be sorted out within the next few weeks.

September will be a busy month – three weekends will be taken up with weddings and friends visiting me from further afield, but beyond that I’m looking for stuff to do.
I don’t want to spend every Friday and Saturday night between October and Christmas stuck in front of the TV with only rubbish like the X Factor for company.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    If you are in or near a city you could try meetup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there anyone unattached you simply chat to in your daily life, of around the same age, I mean on the bus, train or at work ? If so maybe confide in them about your situation. Perhaps suggest keeping in touch.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is nice to have occasions from time to time, but part of growing up is realising weekends aren't those automatic "event nights" we used to think they were when we were younger. Indeed, having that outlook will probably only make you feel like you are constantly missing out on stuff. As I say, there will always be weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, and other such social occasions, but eventually staying in becomes the norm. You really don't want to end up being the sad old man hanging out by himself at the bar trying to fit in with the young ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think thirty is a bit too young to become totally pipe and slippers.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies guys. There's some stuff to consider there.

With regards to RebelScum's post, don't get me wrong, I have no interest in hanging about in nightclubs that are very obviously aimed at the teens/early 20s market (not that I was ever massively into clubbing to begin with), but I also dislike the idea of spending every Friday/Saturday night in watching mind-numbing reality TV shows.

I'm happy to 'stay in' for five or even six nights per week, but at 30 years of age, unmarried, no children, I hope I've got plenty of fun times ahead, I just need to find out where.
  • QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Internet Dating .. Spend Sun - Thursday sending messages and Fri and Sat taking them out .. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I can relate to your situation. I try to meet friends at their homes.
    Maybe you can go to the gym (or some sport you like)?
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bellatella wrote: »
    I can relate to your situation. I try to meet friends at their homes.
    Maybe you can go to the gym (or some sport you like)?

Would that be a Friday/Saturday night activity? Most sports clubs tend to take place on weeknights generally.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until a while ago, one of my regular favourites was on one of those nights to go to Bristol Greyhound racing. Tragically, they have sold it off and the area is now an IKEA.

So if there is a dog track near enough, give it a go. Do not bet too much, keep it down to a quid win and a quid place - you will soon get the hang of getting a programme and reading the form.

Not much cop for picking up women mind you, any there are only interested in putting their money on.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Until a while ago, one of my regular favourites was on one of those nights to go to Bristol Greyhound racing. Tragically, they have sold it off and the area is now an IKEA.

So if there is a dog track near enough, give it a go. Do not bet too much, keep it down to a quid win and a quid place - you will soon get the hang of getting a programme and reading the form.

Not much cop for picking up women mind you, any there are only interested in putting their money on.

Yeah, I've been to dog tracks before and had a great night out. Unfortunately, there's only one in Wales these days, and that's a dodgy flapping track that's not easy to get to. There hasn't been one near where I live since the 1970s (well before my time!).
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It is nice to have occasions from time to time, but part of growing up is realising weekends aren't those automatic "event nights" we used to think they were when we were younger. Indeed, having that outlook will probably only make you feel like you are constantly missing out on stuff. As I say, there will always be weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, and other such social occasions, but eventually staying in becomes the norm. You really don't want to end up being the sad old man hanging out by himself at the bar trying to fit in with the young ones.

Wow that's not depressing at all! :o

I don't see why someone has to withdraw socially, just because they're getting older. Some people are just more outgoing than others, irrespective of what stage of life they are at.

Plenty of older people have active social lives, without appearing like 'the sad old man by the bar'.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »

He's already worried he's going to the dogs :(
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that's not depressing at all! :o

I don't see why someone has to withdraw socially, just because they're getting older. Some people are just more outgoing than others, irrespective of what stage of life they are at.

Plenty of older people have active social lives, without appearing like 'the sad old man by the bar'.

:p I didn't mean an overnight change of lifestyle, or not going out at all. It is just a fact that many people just stop going out as much as they used at weekends as they get older, it doesn't make them sad or boring. It doesn't mean staying at home by yourself and becoming a recluse. Occasional nights out are always good, but you get to the point where going out every weekend gets old. I do think one of the worst things you can do is think that you have to be doing something just because it's Friday/Saturday. You'll just end up with a feeling of being left out.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I think this is a very common. As people get to their late 20's babies and marriages start happening and meetups become fewer and fewer. Luckily i have a few single mates who still go to the pub every week which is lucky, but its going from being a table of 15 to a table of 3 over the years.
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found this transission difficult too now being in my 30's I miss those crazy nights out in my 20's where everybody was up for going out and was never short of offers.

I still crave for this lifestyle but most of my friends are settled down in mundane relationships.

I hope my 40's aren't this boring.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote:
    Any suggestions?
    You should really do stuff during the week, weekends aren't all, what they are made out to be.:blush:
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I'm 24 and I never ever did clubbing, All of my friends used to go out on a Friday night but I always chose not to. I regretted this for years and so one night I decided to go and see what it was like. I hated it, I didn't feel comfortable at all and watched friends of mine get absolutely hammered and raving about. It just wasn't me, from that moment on I no longer regretted missing out on it. I had people saying to me 'Why don't you go out, you are missing out on being young" - it irritated me, why should going out and getting drunk be classed as the norm for that age group.

I'm a very homely person, I really do enjoy staying in on weekend nights especially after a long week of work.