Scotland, you want out? We'll take your place.

PrinceShaunPrinceShaun Posts: 406
Forum Member
A lovely article on CNN. If you're sick of all the negativity, give this a read, we take for granted sometimes just how lucky we are to live in the UK.
CNN.com wrote:
Editor's note: David R. Wheeler lives in Lexington, Kentucky, where he is a freelance writer and a journalism professor at Asbury University. Follow him on Twitter @David_R_Wheeler The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

(CNN) -- Here's a question that seems to be lost in the debate over the Scottish independence vote scheduled for September 18:

If Scotland votes to secede, does that open up a spot for another country? And if so -- Scotland, can we take your place?

I realize that Americans fought a bloody war of independence from England in the late 1700s, but our rifts have healed over the past 240 years. In 2013, the Pew Research Center reported that England topped America's list of favorite nations, in a near-tie with our beloved northern neighbor, Canada.

In the past few years, as America has degenerated into political and economic chaos, it has become increasingly clear that we would be far better off if we apologized for our revolt against the Crown and requested to rejoin the United Kingdom.

There are four main ways America would benefit from unification with the UK: Brits have better health, less inequality, excellent manners and -- let's face it -- a superior culture. Let's improve our quality of life by joining them.

Want to live longer? Then let's become Stateland — the 50-state replacement for Scotland.

Brits have greater longevity than Americans, and the British health care system, while far from perfect, is indescribably better than ours. In my visits to the United Kingdom, I've noticed that just about anyone who can afford private health insurance buys it, which allows Brits to supplement their free, government-provided health care. That means there's a baseline of care that every person receives, and if you want something faster or better, you pay for it yourself.

Meanwhile, America's needlessly complicated arrangement of government- and employer-provided health care, in a clumsy compromise with insurance companies, costs way more than other developed countries' while producing worse results.

Next, Britain is a more equitable society. Although America has a higher GDP per capita, most of us -- that is, the 99% -- are not happy because of our ever-widening wealth gap. Brits have less inequality, and their median incomes (unlike ours) have risen in the past decade.

America's middle class used to be the richest in the world; now we're overtaken by Canada. Unless you are the 1% in America, chances are your wages are stagnant. Living a good life -- owning a house and a car and being able to support a family -- seems like a struggle, especially when compared with your parents' generation.

Americans could also learn a few lessons from the Brits when it comes to good manners.
When I took students with me to film news reports of the 2012 Olympics in London, we dealt with unimaginable crowds on the street, in the shopping centers and on the Tube. Did we hear groans of exasperation when we accidentally bumped into Brits in Parliament Square while trying to get a better view of Big Ben?

Never. Did we see looks of frustration when our cameras accidentally knocked into innocent people in Piccadilly Circus? Not even once.

This patience and politeness stands in stark contrast to the attitude in big American cities, where cab drivers curse at you just for your mere existence, and TSA agents at American airports compete for the title of Biggest Emotional Abuser.

Finally, America would benefit from a closer association with Britain's culture. The country that produced Shakespeare, the world's best storyteller, has also given us some of the best entertainment and media of modern times. Our imitation of British television (e.g. "The Office") speaks for itself. Has any band ever topped the Beatles?

And nothing against PBS and NPR, but the BBC produces some of the best publicly funded journalism, putting much of the world's radio and television news programs to shame. The world respects the United Kingdom, in part, because the BBC is so trustworthy. That's called soft power.

But wait, you ask. What's in it for the Brits? Three things. Natural resources (oh so much land!), the majestic Grand Canyon and a sport called "American football." They'll love it.
So remember, Americans, if Scotland votes for independence on September 18, let's improve our lives by asking to take their place -- if not officially, then at least in spirit.

We hold this truth to be self-evident: Brits have a superior society.

Americans claim we don't want a monarchy, but deep down, we're just as hungry as our British cousins for news about Queen Elizabeth, Princes William and Harry, and those adorable royal babies.

England, will you take us back?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lovely article on CNN. If you're sick of all the negativity, give this a read, we take for granted sometimes just how lucky we are to live in the UK.

It's so nice to read something so positive about the English :)
  • PrinceShaunPrinceShaun Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    It's so nice to read something so positive about the English :)

This is merely Americans confusing Britain, UK and England as they sometimes do. In fact the USA (or more specifically the original 13 colonies) was never part of the UK, it was a colony of Great Britain (and therefore a colony of Scotland).

However, the point of the article is to make us realise what we sometimes take for granted.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is merely Americans confusing Britain, UK and England as they sometimes do. In fact the USA (or more specifically the original 13 colonies) was never part of the UK, it was a colony of Great Britain (and therefore a colony of Scotland).

However, the point of the article is to make us realise what we sometimes take for granted.

But isn't that kind of the point?

The US doesn't see much difference because when it comes down to it, most is invented. There is a NHS in Scotland, people would be treated as politely in Scotland, the BBC has plenty of Scottish input, politics as well, and the royal family is as much Scottish as English, the references that the writer made.

They must be utterly bewildered as to WTF this vote next week is all about.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    The new and improved UK will take the west coast and the northern eastern United States

The rest? No chance.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    They probably wouldn't want to give up their guns though - that could be a sticking point!! :D
  • television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the writer of the CNN post needs to consult his American history.
    The Southern States of the US voted to leave the USA in the 1860's. and become the CSA.
    The north said no you don't. You are part of the USA. This then led to the American Civil War.
    So I would imagine for a state to leave the USA it would require a successful war against the other 49!
    Which ever way the vote for Scottish independence goes it will be close.
    Will the either side accept a decision that may be called against then on a majority of less than 10k votes?
    Unfortunatly I do not think so!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to here something positive about the British. I'd much prefer to be in an union with America then Scotland although in the near impossible event that a union does happen, it'd be us joining America not them joining us.
    Forum Member
    I propose a trans-Atlantic union between England and New England.
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    They probably wouldn't want to give up their guns though - that could be a sticking point!! :D
    The irony is that if we forge a union and then try to force them to give up their guns then they'll start an armed rebellion against us, forcing us to respond with..............guns.

As for the article itself, well there's some truth to what he says but I feel he may be looking at Britain from rose-tinted glasses and on manners we're not necessarily any more polite than the Americans. Infact I always hear from Brits about how nice the Americans are. All the Americans I've met were very friendly to me.
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The King of Hawaii always wanted his islands to be "British" hence the Union Flag being part of the State Flag and Alaska was only sold to the USA 'cause the Russians didn't want to sell to Canada as it was still part of the Empire (that worked out well, eh?). Washington State and Virginia, Rhode Island and possibly Maryland not sure I would want much else. Anyhoo I am am just a passenger, leaving Thursday...
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

There was actually a book in the 1930s called "Union Now" by
    Clarence Streit, which proposed the US & UK join up:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1939/5/4/clarence-streit-author-of-union-now/
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member

I propose a trans-Pacific union between South Wales and New South Wales.
    Forum Member
    I propose a trans-galactic union between Earth and New Earth

Where is New Earth one might ask?

NASA's announcement is imminent.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to that person in CNN. It's so easy to moan that our lives aren't perfect but we are lucky compared to many people living in other countries and we should remember that and be glad for the freedoms we have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Scotland votes to secede, then Suck Seed so they should .:cry:
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England, will you take us back?

Gladly.

But only if we can import a few million of you into Scotland, and pack the Scots off to Texas or somewhere else with nice, open spaces where they can whinge and grizzle to their hearts' content.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's hope enough do realise it.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,615
    Forum Member
    I think the writer of the CNN post needs to consult his American history.
    The Southern States of the US voted to leave the USA in the 1860's. and become the CSA.
    The north said no you don't. You are part of the USA. This then led to the American Civil War.
    So I would imagine for a state to leave the USA it would require a successful war against the other 49!
    Which ever way the vote for Scottish independence goes it will be close.
    Will the either side accept a decision that may be called against then on a majority of less than 10k votes?
    Unfortunatly I do not think s
    o !

No, the future does not look good for Scotland- Scot against Scot, I fear. If it is a Yes vote, I fear for Scotland as the power will go to Alex Salmond's head. I see in him a future Dictator. His dealings with Donald Trump showed what a weak, avaricious man he is.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is a lovely article !
  • oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an American, no thanks. But you all do have a lovely country that I enjoy visiting and I wish we would import a good many of your social policies over here. Also the food is better than it's reputation and the people much friendlier than they would like you to believe.

I don't know enough about the Scottish independence issue to have an opinion of it, but I do know that the British have many reasons to be proud of their home, so don't let the naysayers and critics get you down.
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to be appreciated after Vivienne Westwood stood up and declared "I hate England" yesterday whilst trying to sell her rags at London Fashion Week. Wonder how English consumers may react?
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    Nice to be appreciated after Vivienne Westwood stood up and declared "I hate England" yesterday whilst trying to sell her rags at London Fashion Week. Wonder how English consumers may react?

If she hates England so much why doesn't she move to Scotland?, after all its not as though you need a visa (yet)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'd have New England and some parts of the west coast but I have no interest in most of the bits in the middle and the south.
    clinch wrote: »

She obviously doesn't hate this country too much to accept her Damehood.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH who is American has been saying this for weeks.