Kinda

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of a claustrophobic atmosphere, is your Enter key working?

;):D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda hard to read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Kinda hard to read.

ISWY ... O, NM.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Still, Kinda is rather good indeed. :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who masterpiece. One of the very best stories. Sir Peter on top form; great guest cast (Honestly think Simon Rouse's portrayal of Hindle is one of the best one off performances in Who) It's fresh, fascinating, innovative, the music is great and it's beautifully directed.

And I've completely refused to watch the alternative Special effects option on the DVD....this is a 10/10 story for me (and don't give top marks v often)...rubber snake and all. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    Kinda is one of my favourite Doctor Who stories. The possessed Janet Fielding is superb and dare I say beats Sarah-Jane's 'Eldrad must live' moment hands down.
    Good to see that Anna Wing's small part has already been mentioned: those scenes are really creepy to this day.

I think the storyline is definitely worth revisiting.

Uh oh; that Tegan vs Sarah Jane comment is bordering on DW blasphemy!:eek:
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the old womam is mary morris who played a lesbian in pathfinders, the show that "inspired" dr who !

for those who enjoyed janet fielding overacting, the follow up story is Snakedance with more of same .....

kinda = kinder, of course.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Filiman wrote: »
    Uh oh; that Tegan vs Sarah Jane comment is bordering on DW blasphemy!:eek:

I like to live dangerously. ;)
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the only Doctor Who episode that gave me nightmares. And it did for about 3 months afterwards!

When I watch it again (which i am doing now) all I can think is how gorgeous Nerys Hughes looks - great chemistry with the Doc too!
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    This was the only Doctor Who episode that gave me nightmares. And it did for about 3 months afterwards!

When I watch it again (which i am doing now) all I can think is how gorgeous Nerys Hughes looks - great chemistry with the Doc too!

Nerys Hughes does have a good chemistry with the Fifth Doctor, and is one of many good guest stars in this story. I think the Fifth Doctor had some decent chemistry with some of the guest stars, like Kari - Liza Goddard's character in Terminus and Jane Hampden - Polly James in The Awakening. :)
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    gslam2 wrote: »
    I walked past Simon Rouse at the theatre the other night - I was tempted to go up and say 'You can't mend people' to him!
    Ooh, I wonder how he would have reacted?
    You would have ended up down in the cells of Sun Hill Police Station. ;-)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    Nerys Hughes does have a good chemistry with the Fifth Doctor, and is one of many good guest stars in this story. I think the Fifth Doctor had some decent chemistry with some of the guest stars, like Kari - Liza Goddard's character in Terminus and Jane Hampden - Polly James in The Awakening. :)

Yep, I think it's a popular opinion that the guest star 'companions' were better with the Fifth Doctor than his actual ones!

:)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One last thing about this story is that I like is that it has so many future big names in it. I've said about The Bill duo, but there was also Adrian Mills from That's Life, Anna 'Lou Beale' Wing from EastEnders and in a very small role as one of the Kinda was Glen 'Dibber' Murphy from London's Burning

Glen Murphy returned to Doctor Who in 1986, appearing in The Mysterious Planet, part 1 of The Trial of a Time Lord.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090816051234/tardis/images/b/bc/Dibber.png
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Johnathan Morris from Bread was in Snakedance, as was Men Behaving Badly's Martin Clunes. Brian Miller, Lis Sladen's husband, was also in this.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    The last time I saw this was when it was shown (1982?). I didn't like it - because of that snake thing, and the cheap Jungle they were in. No Tardis.......and that silly robotic machine that Adric got into!
    Tegan (janet) did a very good role in it though! Loved Tegan anyway! And I remember Nerys Hughes doing a good part.

Must get the DVD - and I'll report back......after about 24 years from watching it!
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    all I can think is how gorgeous Nerys Hughes looks

At the time (I was 11) she just looked like an oldish woman. Older than my mum, not as old as my grandma.

Now? Blimey, yes! (trying to find the Dave Allen sketch where he starts fancying Gina Lollobrigida)

Kinda - I love it. It's not about an armoured alien who's going to shoot you, oh no. This creature is going to change and destroy who you actually are. It's dementia, schizophrenia, depression - all these and more. It taps into the fear of the unknown, a not uncommon theme, but this is an unknown that science struggles with. As the Doctor does.

And talk about peril!
    The tribe are facing their ancestral enemy.
    Hindle and Saunders have been reduced to innocent and murderer.
    Tegan is lost, then saved (then lost again in the not as good but still ace Snakedance).
    The unpredictable nature of 'madness' and 'possession' leave the Doctor impotent for a good while, unable to apply reason and logic to fix things.

Absolutely brilliant. Bring back the Mara.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Glen Murphy returned to Doctor Who in 1986, appearing in The Mysterious Planet, part 1 of The Trial of a Time Lord.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090816051234/tardis/images/b/bc/Dibber.png

I know, hence why I called him Glen 'Dibber' Murphy.............;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last time I saw this was when it was shown (1982?). I didn't like it - because of that snake thing, and the cheap Jungle they were in. No Tardis.......and that silly robotic machine that Adric got into!
    Tegan (janet) did a very good role in it though! Loved Tegan anyway! And I remember Nerys Hughes doing a good part.

Must get the DVD - and I'll report back......after about 24 years from watching it!

You might prefer to watch the version with the CGI. The jungle's still cheap but the snake isn't.
  • POTDPOTD Posts: 9,869
    Forum Member

I've literally just watched this for the first time, and yes she seemed so much more like the Companion to Five than his actual Companions.

Indeed, it felt like the introductory story for a new Companion, someone who works so well with the Doctor that she gets invited on board to see all of time and space...
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Don't be silly, you can't mend people!"

Still one of my favourite lines in the entire show. As much as I love Kinda I can't help laughing at the antics of Sanders and Hindle.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Alot of Peters stories are worth visiting! It just seems fan conception to hate them because he followed a what 7 years of tom and fans were expecting Tom. I enjoyed all of them as did a rewatch from the vids about 6 - 7 years ago and only one bored me which was Four to Doomsday!
    Forum Member
    Alot of Peters stories are worth visiting! It just seems fan conception to hate them because he followed a what 7 years of tom and fans were expecting Tom. I enjoyed all of them as did a rewatch from the vids about 6 - 7 years ago and only one bored me which was Four to Doomsday!

It's the nature of the show that each Doctor tries to bring out different aspects of the character.

After the confidence of 3 and the overpowering personality of 4, 5 was a very passive and "nice" Doctor which I guess many people weren't expecting. With the sheer number of Companions in his stories, maybe everyone got spread a bit thin?
  • Sam_Gee1Sam_Gee1 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His tenure is probably the most underrated in the show, but he is my favourite Doctor
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Sam_Gee1 wrote: »
    His tenure is probably the most underrated in the show, but he is my favourite Doctor

I hate to say it but Peters best episode was his last especially episode 3 of androzani.
    Forum Member
    I hate to say it but Peters best episode was his last especially episode 3 of androzani.

To me he lacked a top draw Doctor/Companion relationship, when compared to the previous Doctors.