Options

How Many Grand Slams Will Andy Murray Win In His Career??

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    JingaJinga Posts: 1,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedPants wrote: »
    It's a good question.

Wikipedia says that for players with 2 or more GS wins, Murray has the worst record. His win/loss record is 2:8. There are two men and one woman with a 2:6 record, but no-one else comes close.

Another source says there are men with 3 finals and no wins. Helena Sukova played 4 finals without a win. I can't find much about players with one win, but it does look like Murray may well have the worse record. All his loses have been against Fed or Djok though so you can't really hold it against him!

I think for other multi slam finalists at some point they come up against lesser players. Murray has never had that luck.He probably should have won the 2015 AO and just possibly the 2013 one, but in all his other losses he just came up a little short. I hope he can get a couple more but with Novak s win I think its likely to make Novak more determined. If del Potro hadn't been injured for so long I think the GS final wins for both Murray and Djokovic would be different. Murray a couple more and Djokovic a couple less.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guypd wrote: »
    OK, who voted for "17+"???

:D

Trolling probably, but with Ivan back on the team, I'd say 2-4 becomes realistic again.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He would have won today without Ivan.

He didn't need Ivan to get to the last two finals, nor did he need Ivan to win the Davis cup.

He certainly didn't need Ivan to beat Raonic. Although I'm sure having him around helps. :p
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Andy had lost too much finals and blew his chances to win more slams but thankfully he has proven me wrong. Now that Lendl is back I am interested in seeing how he will do in US Open. In 2013 he had that back injury and in 2012 he won the whole thing.
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted five but think could be 7 if lendell stays
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I voted 2-4 originally but I'd change it to 5-7 now as I'm expecting him to get at least 5.

Two things will determine whether or not he gets these sorts of numbers:

1) How many GS he wins over the next 12-18 months.
    2) Federer and Nadal's return

If he fails to win any of the next 4 slams, and Nadal returns close to his best, or at least is a Grand Slam contender again, that will put a dent in it IMO.

I've always seen people constantly write Nadal off, but he won a 1000 masters this year (beating Murray in the process) and I would argue was more than a match for Djokovic (in the semi's where they were due to meet) at the French had he not pulled out.

Congratulations to Murray for winning Wimbledon, but he has benefited from Federers and Nadals absence (Federer missing chunks of the year only coming back from injury), and obviously Sam Querrey doing the business against Novak.

I'm not sure how many times he will avoid one of the big three and win another GS in the process, that's not to say he cant ever beat those guys, but as this tournament proves, it certainly helps when they're gone.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Federer and Nadal are close to being done at the top so I expect Murray to get to about 6 and Djokovic to get to 15 or so. I'm absolutely desperate for a new generation to clear these guys away but it doesn't look like it's forthcoming any time soon...
  • Options
    tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I voted 2-4 originally but I'd change it to 5-7 now as I'm expecting him to get at least 5.

snap striing! :D
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Two things will determine whether or not he gets these sorts of numbers:

1) How many GS he wins over the next 12-18 months.
    2) Federer and Nadal's return

If he fails to win any of the next 4 slams, and Nadal returns close to his best, or at least is a Grand Slam contender again, that will put a dent in it IMO.

I've always seen people constantly write Nadal off, but he won a 1000 masters this year (beating Murray in the process) and I would argue was more than a match for Djokovic (in the semi's where they were due to meet) at the French had he not pulled out.

Congratulations to Murray for winning Wimbledon, but he has benefited from Federers and Nadals absence (Federer missing chunks of the year only coming back from injury), and obviously Sam Querrey doing the business against Novak.

I'm not sure how many times he will avoid one of the big three and win another GS in the process, that's not to say he cant ever beat those guys, but as this tournament proves, it certainly helps when they're gone.

Many congratulations to Andy Murray today.

Certainly 4 or 5. Will depend on if he can add another before he turns 30 if he can achieve 5. He will be 30 come next years French Open.

It's a tall order to win serious multile grand slams in excess of 2 in their 30's. The most number of grand slams any male has achieved in their 30's in the men's side in the open professional era is 2 (and it took a Connors and an Agassi to do so). Because in their 30's tennis players lose that half a yard in pace, and lose a slight edge in strength stamina and endurance compared with in their 20's and it badly affects their one time clear thinking. Do people seriously think 32 to 34 year old males in top level men's professional tennis who have lost a bit of their edge compared to in their 20's can still remain near unbeaten in grand slam matches against 24 to 26 year olds ranked inside the top 5 to 10 in the ATP world rankings at their peaks in pace, strength, stamina and endurance?

Maintaining the same levels of form well into your 30 up until the mid 30's that they achieved throughout their 20 has never been achieved before in tennis.

"I will put it away" in their 20's becomes "I must put it away" in their 30's when a break point opportunity comes. Those are 2 different mindsets. The second mindset is not a positive mindset. It happens to everybody on the ATP Tour.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he going to cry after every victory? Maybe he should accept now he's one of tennis greats and treat ever victory like its no big deal. Andy Murray is now long of tennis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Is he going to cry after every victory? Maybe he should accept now he's one of tennis greats and treat ever victory like its no big deal. Andy Murray is now long of tennis

LOL.

Federer still cried after he lost to Novak at Wimbledon 2014, and you know, had already won 17 Grand slams prior to that.

I think some of these sportsman, winning just means absolutely everything to them, its why they're the people they are why they're so successful.