The Tennis Thread (Part 30)

Comments

• Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Which one?

The one that made the 4R of AO in 2015 :p

Other answers included Eugene Buchard, Nick Kyrigios and Kei Nishikori (I can't remember the others)

Sometimes I get home in time to see the end of Pointless and even get a few answers (like yesterday's tennis one).
  • ddukdduk Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After squandering two first set set points (which ended up costing her the set), it looks like Watson means business now,
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good wins in qualies for Dan Evans and James Ward.
    Heathers match halted by rain. She is 3-1 up in final set.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know why Heather Watson is not first on court tomorrow? Surely that would have made sense, since the winner plays again in the night session. Unless they feel the players need more warm up after being on court the previous night.
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching this last night it's a new documentary on Rafa all in Spanish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0NsiPv4qZk

Some fan has translated it here: http://www.nadalnews.com/2016/01/10/informe-robinson-translated/

Novak is in it speaking in English and he says Rafa is a good person :) I take everything I said about him back now! :D
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James McGee in the 2nd round of qualies, faces Radu Albot next. Daniel Brands looming in the fqr, if he makes it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just looking through the long list of unfamiliar names in the AO qualifying rounds, and then I come across Francesca Schiavone (seeded 6 in the qualifying). What's happened to her, former French Open champion, now having to enter a slam via qualifying? Was she laid off with injury or did she just lose form?
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    dduk wrote: »
    I'm just looking through the long list of unfamiliar names in the AO qualifying rounds, and then I come across Francesca Schiavone (seeded 6 in the qualifying). What's happened to her, former French Open champion, now having to enter a slam via qualifying? Was she laid off with injury or did she just lose form?

Old age catches up with them all eventually. Playing for the love of the game nowadays, as well as going after Sugiyama's slam streak. If she qualifies she'd tie it at 62, but it's a big ask.
  • HuphHuph Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    I've had a disinterested start to the men's season; don't want to repeat the same complaints of 2015 but the same problem will persist. One man dominating everything and the only man challenging is the one who was dominating everything before him. Don't think I can take another year of the same two men in every slam final again.

Totally agree. It really is so boring and has spoiled my enjoyment of men's tennis.
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sydney is still on the first of four matches for the day on the main court due to afternoon rain. Don't know why matches haven't started till 2 pm for the last few days, and now they've been bitten by their scheduling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rain delays in Hobart, so we still don't know if Heather Watson has made it to the QF.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rain delays in Hobart, so we still don't know if Heather Watson has made it to the QF.

Game away from it now.
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the women's final scheduled for tomorrow night, the men's matches in Sydney are abandoned for the day, with Dimitrov leading Dolgopolov 4-2 in the 3rd. But it's nearly 10 pm & raining again with the women's 1st semi still in the 1st set.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Game away from it now.
    Looks like Heather Watson will be back on court at around 1am local time to play her QF, depending on how long the next QF takes to complete. Mona Barthel retires with a back injury.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evans eventually made it past Weintraub, he really took the scenic route. Couldn't consolidate a break to save his life. Wardy went down in straights to Novikov.

On the women's side, Broady lost to Lim. Huge shame. Watson narrowly saw off Junkulescu in Hobart.

So many rain delays today, it's been infuriating. Especially the Sydney ones.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just another typical Heather match, blew match points, saved match points, but hey she eventually won.:)
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just another typical Heather match, blew match points, saved match points, but hey she eventually won.:)
    The thing with Heather is she can be up or down and you are never sure which way it will go. Good win, she came back from 1-3 in the tie break to win 7-3.
    Shame Naomi lost in qualies.
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evans eventually made it past Weintraub, he really took the scenic route. Couldn't consolidate a break to save his life. Wardy went down in straights to Novikov.

On the women's side, Broady lost to Lim. Huge shame. Watson narrowly saw off Junkulescu in Hobart.

I'm kinda pleased about this one - hopefully Dolgo can recharge his batteries and come out strong again. :p
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Next up for Dan Evans is Bjorn Fratangelo, a winnable match for Evans.

disappointing loss for Naomi, considering her recent good form, hopefully she can get MD at Roland Garros.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First break to Watson against Larsson, 2-0 up in set 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First set wrapped up for Heather Watson. Winner plays Alize Cornet in the SF, which I would say is a bit easier than having to play Bouchard or Cibulkova (who play each other in the first SF).
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huph wrote: »
    Shappy wrote: »
    I've had a disinterested start to the men's season; don't want to repeat the same complaints of 2015 but the same problem will persist. One man dominating everything and the only man challenging is the one who was dominating everything before him. Don't think I can take another year of the same two men in every slam final again.

Totally agree. It really is so boring and has spoiled my enjoyment of men's tennis.

Well, for me not Roger, but then he only contested two finals out of four, so not really dominate.

However I am the least excited I've been for years about the upcoming Aus open, I feel like Novak has this in the bag without contest, I wonder if he will do it without dropping a set or going five at least. It feels inevitable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another typical match from Heather Watson. Only this time it ends in defeat in three sets.
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    Huph wrote: »

Well, for me not Roger, but then he only contested two finals out of four, so not really dominate.

However I am the least excited I've been for years about the upcoming Aus open, I feel like Novak has this in the bag without contest, I wonder if he will do it without dropping a set or going five at least. It feels inevitable.

Oh, I'd really love to see that Amelia. ;-)
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another typical match from Heather Watson. Only this time it ends in defeat in three sets.

Big rankings drop for Watson, down to 79 after Hobart defeat.
This discussion has been closed.