Great British Bake Off, 2016

justannejustanne Posts: 723
Forum Member
✭✭
Does any one know when the new series starts??

Comments

• PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It usually starts in August.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, August... timed to finish just as SCD starts :D
    Interesting article on Martha ( I still think she's posh, but as she says.. it doesn't matter ;) )
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for the new series. My 10 year old daughter started watching it last series and she's now addicted to it too, but unlike me who is happy just to watch, and go back to doing my normal easy bakes, she likes to try the fancy bakes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, August... timed to finish just as SCD starts :D
    Interesting article on Martha ( I still think she's posh, but as she says.. it doesn't matter ;) )

I liked the comment about meeting Mary Berry being scarier than meeting the Queen!
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary and Paul confirmed for 2 Christmas shows, which will include 'four legendary bakers' from the previous series of the show - place your bets/wish list now. I'm going for John Waite, Nadiya, Jo and perhaps Ed.

BTW, the stories are still rumbling about the show moving from the BBC. Methinks this is a very well planned negotiation strategy (there were a few stories popping up as early as last year speculating on the value of a contract renewal). After all, if the show moves to another channel, there's a one year cooling off clause, so any buyer is essentially banned from showing their new version before 2018. That's a lot of exposure a new channel loses before they are able to broadcast - I'm guessing the production company don't actually want this, and are just angling for the highest price the BBC can possibly pay for the show. Still, hope they wrap this renegotiation up before the start of this series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    Mary and Paul confirmed for 2 Christmas shows, which will include 'four legendary bakers' from the previous series of the show - place your bets/wish list now. I'm going for John Waite, Nadiya, Jo and perhaps Ed.

BTW, the stories are still rumbling about the show moving from the BBC. Methinks this is a very well planned negotiation strategy (there were a few stories popping up as early as last year speculating on the value of a contract renewal). After all, if the show moves to another channel, there's a one year cooling off clause, so any buyer is essentially banned from showing their new version before 2018. That's a lot of exposure a new channel loses before they are able to broadcast - I'm guessing the production company don't actually want this, and are just angling for the highest price the BBC can possibly pay for the show. Still, hope they wrap this renegotiation up before the start of this series.

Francis as well perhaps?

I think some of the people involved in making the programme have said they do not want to move.

Like the Sewing Bee, it's hard to imagine it fitting into peak time ITV or Channel 4 schedules so I could then paying a lot to get it, ruin the programme then downgrade or drop after a couple of years. The production company must know that a high ratings programme on BBC is better for overseas sales of the format or recordings of the programme itself than an unsuccessful one on ITV during the daytime.
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Francis as well perhaps?

I think some of the people involved in making the programme have said they do not want to move.

Like the Sewing Bee, it's hard to imagine it fitting into peak time ITV or Channel 4 schedules so I could then paying a lot to get it, ruin the programme then downgrade or drop after a couple of years. The production company must know that a high ratings programme on BBC is better for overseas sales of the format or recordings of the programme itself than an unsuccessful one on ITV during the daytime.
    Unfortunately, I suspect the BBC is in a no-win situation (as far as the press is concerned). If they pay the increased amount GBBO is absolutely worth right now (ratings, demographics, overseas sales and associated tie-ins), they'll be accused of 'squandering' licence payers' money. If the price goes too high, and they let it go, they'll be accused of dropping one of the BBC's 'crown jewels' of programming. Any contract renegotiation is basically a stick to beat the BBC with these days. Hopefully, we've got another great series coming up, that will shut up the critics when GBBO hits the rating highs we got last year.

We haven't got a launch date yet, have we? I can't imagine it starts any earlier than the end of the Rio Olympics (closing ceremony on 21 Aug), but that's quite late given most series started in early to mid August in previous years. If it starts in early August, I just hope the Olympics doesn't force any schedule changes, and push GBBO out of it's timeslot.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »

Part of the BBC Press Release seems to suggest 4 bakers for each programme, but then goes on to seemingly contradict that (in bold):
    Christmas is coming and Mary, Paul, Mel and Sue get into the festive spirit with two yuletide specials of The Great Christmas Bake Off.

Charlotte Moore, Director, BBC Content, says: “What a treat to bring two Great British Bake Off specials to BBC One this Christmas. Mary, Paul, Mel and Sue are the perfect recipe for the festive season.”

Richard McKerrow, Creative Director of Love Productions, comments: “We’re excited to announce that there will be two specials of The Great Christmas Bake Off. What could be a better Christmas gift than welcoming back past bakers for a fun-filled festive Bake Off!”

Each episode, they welcome back four bakers from past series and ask them to don their Christmas jumpers and aprons to tackle three festive challenges.

As ever, our Christmas elves, Mel and Sue, will be spreading Christmas cheer throughout the tent, until, of course, the judging, where it's business as usual for Paul 'Scrooge' Hollywood and Mary 'Merry' Berry as they decide which of the four will be winner of The Great Christmas Bake Off.

The Great Christmas Bake Off, a 2x60’ series for BBC One, will be made by Love Productions. The BBC Commissioning Editor is Clare Paterson and the Executive Producers are Sarah Thomson-Woolley, Anna Beattie and Richard McKerrow for Love Productions.

Notes to Editors
    These two special programmes replace the Bake Off Masterclasses that have been shown in previous years.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/bake-off-christmas
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Part of the BBC Press Release seems to suggest 4 bakers for each programme, but then goes on to seemingly contradict that (in bold):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/bake-off-christmas

It can be read as ambiguous but I just read as the same four in each programme.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the production company may be learning from what has happened to Top Gear. When you have a winning formula it is best not to change it.
    They could be greedy and follow the money but then they could end up with only one more year and then it is binned as it is no longer popular. Or they could accept less money but almost guaranteed many more years of programmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gooby wrote: »
    I think the production company may be learning from what has happened to Top Gear. When you have a winning formula it is best not to change it.
    They could be greedy and follow the money but then they could end up with only one more year and then it is binned as it is no longer popular. Or they could accept less money but almost guaranteed many more years of programmes.

I don't think there is much danger of Mary Berry swearing at any of the production crew and smacking them (even with her handbag)!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an interview with The Guardian, Patrick Holland (who overseas bake Off as part of his remit as
    Head of Documentaries) has said this back in May:
    However there has been speculation that Bake Off could end up on one of the BBC’s rivals after reports that talks to renew the show’s contract after the next series had stalled over money. Holland is optimistic about it remaining on the BBC, saying “there’s no stalling … negotiations are ongoing, we’re still in really active talks. From our point of view it’s very much this is always the case – we start negotiating contracts for the next series when we’re filming the one before.”

When asked if the programme had become too expensive for his division and could move into entertainment to get a higher tariff, Holland says “Bake Off can easily remain within factual. We’ll do the deal based on what’s appropriate for the programme.” The good news is there are no major changes to the forthcoming seventh series, which is already in production.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/may/15/bbc-bake-off-savile-louis-theroux-documentaries
  • justannejustanne Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read, early August, so looks like it's going to be on with the Olympics....

"The BBC have confirmed the start date for the 2016 series of the popular baking contest and revealed that there will be two Christmas specials this year.

Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry will be back on our TV screens at the beginning of August for the annual show and will be pulling out all the stops for the festive period."

Evening Standard
  • SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first show of the new series is confirmed for August 24th at 8pm on BBC 1.

Can't wait.:)
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Sweetiecat wrote: »

First Wednesday after the Olympics makes perfect sense, they were never going to show it any earlier.

I'm guessing it will take us up til end of October when The Apprentice will return at the 9pm Wednesday slot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed it is:

S7-E1 Cake Week
    Wed 24 Aug 8pm - 9pm BBC One

Summary
    New series. Twelve contestants begin the battle to be named Britain's best amateur baker by judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, who have created 30 new tasks to test their baking skills and creativity. The first signature challenge takes the bakers back to basics with a British classic, while the technical sees them tackle a popular little cake with a fatless sponge and tricky chocolate work. Finally, the competitors must impress the judges with their first showstopper, but there is nowhere to hide. Presented by Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/fbh5gv/the-great-british-bake-off--s7-e1-cake-week
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member

Start date already posted by me on 11th August under thread "Great British Bake off 2016" without the comma

Obviously people don't scroll down page 1 thread titles. This one was way off page 1 and I didnlt find it when I started the new thread.
  • SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Start date already posted by me on 11th August under thread "Great British Bake off 2016" without the comma

Obviously people don't scroll down page 1 thread titles. This one was way off page 1 and I didnlt find it when I started the new thread.

This thread must have been on page 1 when I posted the start date here on August 5th.
    I'm guilty of only really reading the first page unless I really really want to find something.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    And people are still asking when it starts!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some background info regarding the new series here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/we-few-disasters-great-british-8640491
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow! Hoorah!