Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 13: Nightmare In Silver 11/05/2013 BBC1 7:00PM

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lindop1993 wrote: »
    sooo from what i gathered
    straks might get killed (before xmas episode?)
    guy with permanent :[ face from xmas special is back
    slendermen with top hats

Presumably something is going to happen to explain Clara in the Snowmen ep?

Maybe she and the Doctor lose their memories and she gets stuck there?:confused:
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. Not sure how I feel about that one. So much to love. A few things to dislike. A bit of a mess on first watch but still very enjoyable. I think I want to watch it again quick sharp.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Er no it's not. We're not Americans. We have series not seasons.

We are not French either but we still go to abattoir and eat baguettes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to next week's episode after being disappointed with tonight's episode.
    The Whisper Men look kinda creepy too! ekk
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Next weeks looks kind of interesting, not really feeling this series tbh, too many dud episodes.

Same as the last series then ......... Moffat has utterly ruined Who.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with Muttley though. Warwick Davies was one of the best things about that episode. A wonderfully understated performance with lots of nuance and detail even though he wasn't best served by the story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Rule 1: if you're going to have child actors, at least make sure they can act. OK, rule 2 maybe, but you know what I mean.

The new Cyberman had great potential, using removed heads and hands, stupid speed and so forth. For all that, though, The only type they felt genuinely menacing was in sheer numbers which - with all the upgrades they've had - was a shame. I wonder if they've been upgraded too far now, though. Every enemy needs weaknesses, and I'm struggling to think of any they've been left with after that.

Couldn't stand the dual personality doctor, especially arguing with himself inside his head. Matt played it well, but I just found it silly. Not good when that was probably the real menace of the episode, the Doctor being lost to the Cyberrmen.

Overall, I found that a bit of a mess. Not an episode I'll be keen to rewatch
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that came over on paper much better than it came over on screen I'm afraid, and those awful can't act kids ruined it even more!
    Sorry, I was expecting so much more.
    Matt Smith's portrayal of the two roles was good, that's very difficult to do well.
    Next week can only be better, and it does look really great!
    A shame I'm away on holiday from next Saturday and won't see it until over a week after the event.
    :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted good, not quite up there with the best from this season for me, but still enjoyable. It wasn't really about the Cybermen, but I didn't mind about that. Loved the chess game thing and Matt goot a chance to shine tonight. Didn't mind Artie all that much, but Angie made me cringe several times.

Oh, and the trailer for next week, looks awesome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Same as the last series then ......... Moffat has utterly ruined Who.

I completely disagree. There's been quite a few duds in this series but to say he has completely ruined Doctor Who is ridiculous. He has done great things with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to enjoy the episode but found it just all over the place and boring.
    The cybermen were totally underused.

This latest series has come across as a lot of bad casting and some really ropey storylines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Matt Smith was amazing in that episode. Also big thumbs up for Warwick Davies. Liked the new cybermen on the whole, still a bit stumpy for my taste though - but light years better than the series 2 design. I like how they feel like somewhat more "old school" cybermen but with a modern twist.

On the other hand,story was nothing special though, and the kids were not good. Still looked very good and some nice character touches. 8/10

Yep, I liked the same things.

Clara was the most annoying thing about the episode for me though. I hate the way the modern companions become Instant Experts in anything thrown at them.

And for the kids to look bored and fed up because the rollercoaster on another planet was broken down was stupidly unrealistic and irritating.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

Ok but traditionally we have *never* called the last in the series a 'season finalé'.

The only thing referred to as such are American imports.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, that was poor for something written by Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty good. No-where near the heights of The Doctor's Wife, but I would have been amazed if it had been.
    Matt Smith's performance was fantastic and I really like the Cybermen's new design (I just wish we saw more of them).

Oh, and the children were utterly terrible but thankfully they were comatose most of the episode.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were snippets of dialogue that I liked. And I liked the perky Clara a bit better this week - though still not a fan.

But on the whole, pretty poor episode :(

Totally disagree... I loved it :p

I think some fans forget that it is still meant to be a kids programme :(
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Ok but traditionally we have *never* called the last in the series a 'season finalé'.

The only thing referred to as such are American imports.

It's one thing we need to take from the Americans.

It would stop a lot of confusion when the announcer says 'Last of the series'.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not bad , a lot better than that awful Doctor's Wife story .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL :D

I don't go to the abattoir but I do eat baguettes.

What you do with your weekends though is none of my business.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A decent episode that was let down by the two brats and the longer than neccessary chess scene. On the positive side, Warwick Davies is a diamond...would love to see him back at some point.

7/10
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Totally disagree... I loved it :p

I think some fans forget that it is still meant to be a kids programme :(

No, it's a family show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    The boy's character was appealing enough to make him fine to have around in a minor role. At least the girl apologised at the end - the writer chose her tiresome behaviour throughout, but Clara does terse and feisty, more wasn't needed. They weren't in it for enough time to ruin the episode though.

The Cybermen were cool with their various upgrades, but not featured enough.

Warwick Davis was also very good, low key. Shame it was a (probably) one off character.

The characterisation was all over the place - none of it rang true. I've never read any Gaiman, but I thought he was good at that and I thought The Doctor's Wife was certainly good.

Matt Smith was v good - 7/10 for him and the Cybermen. It would have been 8, but Clara grated, sadly.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty good. No-where near the heights of The Doctor's Wife, but I would have been amazed if it had been.
    Matt Smith's performance was fantastic and I really like the Cybermen's new design (I just wish we saw more of them).

Hopefully we will see more of them in the future. :)
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, that wasn't very good at all for me.

Matt was the episode's saving grace with his good acting - he was the only one showing any good acting for me.

Jason Watkins and Tamzin Outhwaite did good with what little they had, so I can't have a go at them, but everyone else wasn't very good at all. Jenna being the worst of all for me - that was some seriously bad 'bossy' acting.

The Cybermen looked good but something felt a little off about them for me. The same can be said with the directing too - good in parts, but messy in others.

I didn't actually think much to the story either - it was just a mess all round. It took several years for Gaiman to perfect the Doctor's Wife, so I think he should have taken a long while to perfect this too....it really wasn't that good at all.

The finale does look good, so here's hoping!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Dreadful episode. The cybermen totally underused with barely any dialogue or chases etc.

The narrative was meant to be driven by the search for the kids and then freeing them from the cybermen's assimilation scheme... but there was nothing to make us warm to the children. In fact it was a good job the cybermen silenced them for most of the episode!