Options

Homophobia - Why It Exists & How to Stop it

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a question based on the subject of fetishes/ preferences. If you met a straight guy who said, 'I am totally into women, but am only really aroused by those with very big breasts' would you still think of him as 'straight'?

I ask because it seems that many gay men fit into sexual cliques. The ones who like muscle (who are mostly muscle guys themselves) only seem to go for other gym toned guys. Now are they homosexual, or do they just have a fetish for muscle?

Yes I would still think of them as straight and yes I would think of them as gay.

From my pov I appreciate the male physique and in a way find it quite beautiful, however I wouldn't get an erection for another man - that's the BIG difference. I have some close friends who are competitive bodybuilders, including an IFBB pro. I probably spend more time looking at pictures of half naked men then I do women!
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who set up places like "Gay Villages" in Cities don't help.

How so? When gay people feel they need to be around other gay people to feel perfectly comfortable in living their lives, then there's obviously a reason for that. Work out the reason and then you'll see why such places exist.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would still think of them as straight and yes I would think of them as gay.

From my pov I appreciate the male physique and in a way find it quite beautiful, however I wouldn't get an erection for another man - that's the BIG difference. I have some close friends who are competitive bodybuilders, including an IFBB pro. I probably spend more time looking at pictures of half naked men then I do women!

Interesting, I agree with you. Are all the bodybuilders you know straight?
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    How so? When gay people feel they need to be around other gay people to feel perfectly comfortable in living their lives, then there's obviously a reason for that. Work out the reason and then you'll see why such places exist.

Because they shouldn't be segregated ffs. They should just live with the rest of us. It's not like they have a disease. Places like this just conjures up piss takes. It's like being in school and wearing a badge saying "I'm a new kid".

People see things like this, they're gonna take the piss. It encourages homophobia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who set up places like "Gay Villages" in Cities don't help.

To me it's no different to Chinatown's in cities like London or Manchester, I wouldn't say a Chinatown creates a divide...anyone is welcome to visit, its just an area where good food and culture can be appreciated by all.

I don't think a Chinatown encourages racism, nor do I think a gay village encourages homophobia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I agree with you. Are all the bodybuilders you know straight?

Yes as far as I am aware. There is a difference between doing it for competition and doing it to pull though. I know guys who pose online and for photos for gay guys who are into muscle worship though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they shouldn't be segregated ffs. They should just live with the rest of us. It's not like they have a disease. Places like this just conjures up piss takes. It's like being in school and wearing a badge saying "I'm a new kid".

People see things like this, they're gonna take the piss. It encourages homophobia

I agree in an ideal world a gay guy could go into any pub club etc and hit on a guy he liked, without fear of violence, or awkwardness, but in reality it's not going to happen. We need gay places to be ourselves and which give us a better opportunity to meet someone. Not that it's done me any good so far :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes as far as I am aware. There is a difference between doing it for competition and doing it to pull though. I know guys who pose online and for photos for gay guys who are into muscle worship though.

Nothing wrong with that. I htink it's time that all guys, gay straight bi realised we have more in common than we think. We are all led by our groins :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that. I htink it's time that all guys, gay straight bi realised we have more in common than we think. We are all led by our groins :D

They earn good money too, I know one chap who used to charge £600 for half an hour's posing. This was going back quite a long way too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree in an ideal world a gay guy could go into any pub club etc and hit on a guy he liked, without fear of violence, or awkwardness, but in reality it's not going to happen. We need gay places to be ourselves and which give us a better opportunity to meet someone. Not that it's done me any good so far :(

Are you gay? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. You probably know a bit more about the topic than me tbf but I just think the world's a lot more tolerant than people think. We live in a society where nobody gives a f*ck about eachother and that's not necessary, it just means we don't care what people do, who they have sex with or anything and I think gay people could quite easily go into places and be themselves, it's a sexual preference not a personality. All gay people are different like all straight people (I'm guessing). I think gay people could go out places and hold hands etc and not many people would batter an eyelid. People far more likely to take the piss out a huge sign with a rainbow on it saying "Gay Village" than of two grown men showing outwardly that they're in a relationship
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you gay? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. You probably know a bit more about the topic than me tbf but I just think the world's a lot more tolerant than people think. We live in a society where nobody gives a f*ck about eachother and that's not necessary, it just means we don't care what people do, who they have sex with or anything and I think gay people could quite easily go into places and be themselves, it's a sexual preference not a personality. All gay people are different like all straight people (I'm guessing). I think gay people could go out places and hold hands etc and not many people would batter an eyelid. People far more likely to take the piss out a huge sign with a rainbow on it saying "Gay Village" than of two grown men showing outwardly that they're in a relationship

The same could be said about people of the same religion or race but they seem to group together in similar areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They earn good money too, I know one chap who used to charge £600 for half an hour's posing. This was going back quite a long way too.

Well if people are stupid enough to pay then that's up to them. How bout you lol how big are you, what size is your chest?:p
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I think gay people could quite easily go into places and be themselves, it's a sexual preference not a personality. All gay people are different like all straight people (I'm guessing). I think gay people could go out places and hold hands etc and not many people would batter an eyelid. People far more likely to take the piss out a huge sign with a rainbow on it saying "Gay Village" than of two grown men showing outwardly that they're in a relationship

You are utterly clueless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You sound like a very decent, and reasonable person, I agree with you to an extent, but yes I'm gay and believe me we still need places where we can be ourselves and meet potential partners. I don't think the world is quite as gay freindly yet as you think. But maybe one day. You seem like a very nice person.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if people are stupid enough to pay then that's up to them. How bout you lol how big are you, what size is your chest?:p

50.5 inches last time I measured.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You sound like a very decent, and reasonable person, I agree with you to an extent, but yes I'm gay and believe me we still need places where we can be ourselves and meet potential partners. I don't think the world is quite as gay freindly yet as you think. But maybe one day. You seem like a very nice person.:)

most groups need a more 'friendly' place to meet someone else as turning up to a wine bar in my leather jacket and mobid angel t-shirt would give me much pulling power as a gay guy in a non gay pub i bet (unless there was some undercover metal fans/gay people in the room)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    You are utterly clueless.

I admitted in the post, he knew more than me you daft ****
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50.5 inches last time I measured.

Nice. Ahem:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    People have always been hating other people since forever mostly for the simple fact they are different to themselves. Be it, religion, skin colour, sex or they live in a different country.
    I don't think with the best will in the world, that you'd never get rid of all forms of prejudice.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that Mother Nature or God? ;)

Seeing as though I said nature, I meant nature.

Edit: I see what you're trying to do. This is because you didn't have anything to hit me back with and so decided to say the above. See the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Nature#Greek_myth

Edit 2: By the way, I don't think the Christian God exists, but that's just my personal opinion. I believe that it's one of the following....god/goddess/gods/goddesses/gods and goddesses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have always been hating other people since forever mostly for the simple fact they are different to themselves. Be it, religion, skin colour, sex or they live in a different country.
    I don't think with the best will in the world, that you'd never get rid of all forms of prejudice.

I agree. Even if most of the world started getting on with each other, a small percentage of the world would still carry on holding onto their hate.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how does one define 'homophobia'?
    I wouldn't discriminate against anyone, be rude or whatever on the grounds of sexuality. But I do think it is a deviance of nature. Being born that way doesn't change it. So does that make me 'homophobic'? :confused:
    Words like 'homophobic' are too often used for anyone who dares go against pc thinking and it's nonsense. Some people don't like 'gingers' or bald men or fat woman or whatever. So on the the same basis that would make them 'gingerphobic', baldist etc... :D I'm not going to let the thought police steam-roll me on this one. Sadly it's the way our society is going.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't discriminate against anyone, be rude or whatever on the grounds of sexuality. But I do think it is a deviance of nature. Being born that way doesn't change it. So does that make me 'homophobic'? :confused:
    Words like 'homophobic' are too often used for anyone who dares go against pc thinking and it's nonsense. Some people don't like 'gingers' or bald men or fat woman or whatever. So on the the same basis that would make them 'gingerphobic', baldist etc... :D I'm not going to let the thought police steam-roll me on this one. Sadly it's the way our society is going.

I agree - Homophobia is almost oxymoronic .Homomisic surely is the correct word ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To me, things happening naturally are the way that nature intended them to be when people haven't inferferred. Yes, something might happen in the womb that causes who the baby's attraction in the future to either be reversed, or mixed (bisexual), but it's still down to nature though.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

It can't be a 'deviance of nature' because it is part of nature - it is a variation and a natural one. If someone was in a workshop fashioning gay people then that would be unnatural, but they are not and it isn't.

You are not homophobic for thinking that - but you are still not correct - and using 'loaded' words like 'deviance' is the kind of thing that can make people think you are because no-one likes to be called a 'deviant' and I am sure you understand that.

If someone don't like gay people just because they are gay they they are a homophobe - just as if someone dislikes people just because they are black they are a racist. It is the selection of a characteristic and then disliking the group that shares it that marks a person in this way. People are individuals and you should judge them by the "content of their character" - lumping them together to judge them is foolish, ignorant and divisive.