Fluffy looking hair (men's)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have short-ish hair (male btw), for the first few weeks after it's been cut it looks fine, like normal short hair. But then after that it grows a bit and starts to look all fluffy. How do I get fine looking hair, hair that's normal and healthy looking, because atm it looks shit. Like when I shower and use conditioner, I get out and dry it out with a towel and it's all big and fluffy. Why is this and how do I get it normal? P.S I won't be interested in straightening it. I use Original Source conditioner, and use the same shampoo every few days (which makes it look even fluffier).

Comments

• SamoanJOESamoanJOE Posts: 3,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have short-ish hair (male btw), for the first few weeks after it's been cut it looks fine, like normal short hair. But then after that it grows a bit and starts to look all fluffy. How do I get fine looking hair, hair that's normal and healthy looking, because atm it looks shit. Like when I shower and use conditioner, I get out and dry it out with a towel and it's all big and fluffy. Why is this and how do I get it normal? P.S I won't be interested in straightening it. I use Original Source conditioner, and use the same shampoo every few days (which makes it look even fluffier).

You sure its mans hair!! all that conditioner, no wonder its fluffy........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamoanJOE wrote: »
    You sure its mans hair!! all that conditioner, no wonder its fluffy........
    I thought you were supposed to use it every day?
  • starinyoureyestarinyoureye Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you were supposed to use it every day?

You should only condition your hair 2-3 times a week, if that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should only condition your hair 2-3 times a week, if that.
    Should I just wash it with water most days then?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure you're not confusing shampoo and conditioner here?
  • niwdenessniwdeness Posts: 1,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that just called thick hair?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean , literally 5 mins after coming out of the shower my hair is all standing on end and all fluffy and horrible. I have to use like a whole bottle of hairgel to get anything resembling straight hair! I think we just have to accept we have "special" hair and that there is no treatment for it.
    I've heard people with hair like this don't lose it as quickly as normal hair....;)
  • SamoanJOESamoanJOE Posts: 3,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god!!! when did men start worrying about their hair!!!!

Somone please, short back and sides and problem solved.

I blame russel brand
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamoanJOE wrote: »
    My god!!! when did men start worrying about their hair!!!!

Somone please, short back and sides and problem solved.

I blame russel brand

This type of hair really is bad, only the people who have it really understand :cry:! I always have short back and sides but then it grows and haircuts are v. expensive these days!
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wash it with shampoo as often as it needs it (ie, whenever it seems greasy). Only use conditioner once or twice a week, or not at all - you may find you don't need it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with conditioner unless you have long hair. If you have it cut regularly it shouldn't need it.

The fluffiness may be exacerbated by man-drying. I remember this technique from when i was a child, on the odd occasion Mom was out. I looked like a physics experiment when Dad had finished with me. I won't even go into his combing technique. Suffice to say he'd be done for child abuse in these so-called enlightened times.

I'd suggest only drying your hair slightly (so it doesn't drip) with a towel, then comb it flat.

As a last resort, try some 'product' (no, I don't know why hairdressers use the term), such as frizz-ease or whatever.
  • shardlakeshardlake Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    opinions4u wrote: »

I'd suggest only drying your hair slightly (so it doesn't drip) with a towel, then comb it flat.

As a last resort, try some 'product' (no, I don't know why hairdressers use the term), such as frizz-ease or whatever.

Hair serum that's the stuff it's pretty effective ;)
  • rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    some women like fluffy hair-remember that advert with "mickey"i where the girls were flocking to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have got similar hair that sits in an odd furball state while it grows out. Am a big believer in Fudge and similar little tubs of goo which gives fluff a little bit of control and shape. Although you need Swarfega to remove it from your hands afterwards (see? you can still retain the man factor ;) )
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rolergirl wrote: »
    some women like fluffy hair-remember that advert with "mickey"i where the girls were flocking to him.

That wasn't a popular ad with men , mickey was a pratt.

I used to have thick sometimes fluffy hair , my suggestion is keep it short or don't wash it as much.
  • BBTIMEBBTIME Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same kind of hair and it took me years to find a way to get some control over my hair.

firstly, if you constantly wash and especially condition your hair then it will go fluff crazy. Conditioner makes it much worse in my experience.

Next, don't totally dry your hair. I'd brush it straight first, then gently part dry with a towel. Don't rub madly with the towel as this just created a volumised mess that will never be controlled.

I'd advise getting a hairdryer. It really does work and it's not too feminine to use (if you worry about that). Just style (with a small brush) and blow dry your hair - again don't just blast in any which way - the key is that your hair will style better from wet. Once dried, use a wax based product and your done.