Django Unchained

BrettBrett Posts: 618
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Another Tarantino movie? he better not drag it out like did Inglorious. It was a good film, but he took 20 mins for every conversation and it kinda felt like I had to force myself to stay till the end
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    A Tarantino film being reliant on long bouts of dialogue is pretty much a given, isn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarantino is all about dialogue. It drives his films.

The new movie looks brilliant.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer didn't impress me. It seems like one of those films that is shot in satircal fashion.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow...finally.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Foxx looks pretty bad from the trailer. His casting always sounded like a mistake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I'm sooo not looking forward to this film. Think I may pass.
  • nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked the Franco Nero cameo, trailer doesn't look like Tarentino film though..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foxx looks pretty bad from the trailer. His casting always sounded like a mistake.

I always thought it was will smith who was playing django,kinnda let down now.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh i thought it looked exactly like a QT film :-0

a blaxploitation western - jackie brown crossed with kill bill
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched quite a few Quentin Tarantino movies but this one doesn't fill me with enthusiasm much, going by the trailer.
    Loads of famous names dropped out, Will Smith, Franco Nero, Kevin Costner, Kurt Russell, Jonah Hill and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, all using the 'scheduling conflict' reasons, which may be true but maybe they didn't like the script?
    I think I will sit this one out too and maybe wait for its appearance on Sky as I am a bit selective about my cinema going nowadays because its a bit expensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote: »
    oh i thought it looked exactly like a QT film :-0

a blaxploitation western - jackie brown crossed with kill bill

I thought the same. Personally i thought it looked great, and very QT.
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I have watched quite a few Quentin Tarantino movies but this one doesn't fill me with enthusiasm much, going by the trailer.
    Loads of famous names dropped out, Will Smith, Franco Nero, Kevin Costner, Kurt Russell, Jonah Hill and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, all using the 'scheduling conflict' reasons, which may be true but maybe they didn't like the script?
    I think I will sit this one out too and maybe wait for its appearance on Sky as I am a bit selective about my cinema going nowadays because its a bit expensive.

The script is out there to read right now if you so wish, the general consensus from people who have read it appears to be that the script is very, very good, so i doubt that the cast drop outs are due to the script being below par (unless people felt uncomfortable with the racist language).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would loved to have seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a Tarantino film sham he dropped out.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Looked very QT to me as well. Leo looked like he was having fun too.

I rather like him working in genres. It's the old auteur idealism coming through - put your own personal stamp on standard stock. Interesting to see if his approach to a western is the same as it was to war - both undermining and reverential at the same time. Count me in.
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I thought the same. Personally i thought it looked great, and very QT.

The script is out there to read right now if you so wish, the general consensus from people who have read it appears to be that the script is very, very good, so i doubt that the cast drop outs are due to the script being below par (unless people felt uncomfortable with the racist language).

You would think they would know that racist language would be a given in a film like this set in the deep south where black people were slaves.

I love QT as a director and I would love to see him going back to basics, love his collaborations with Tim Roth and Steve Buscemi.
  • thegirlinpinkthegirlinpink Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I was excited for this film as I love Tarantino and Dicaprio. Then I saw the trailer and felt hugely uncomfortable. I think I might have to pass on this one because I sense it's not going to work for me.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I don't think that's a good enough reason to lose faith in the talent involved and not even so much as give the film a chance. I have great reservations about the titular star (which the trailer only served to strengthen) but I'll still be seeing it on release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Trailers for QT films are always rubbish, IG looked boring but turned out brilliant.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'i like the way you die boy'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I was excited for this film as I love Tarantino and Dicaprio. Then I saw the trailer and felt hugely uncomfortable. I think I might have to pass on this one because I sense it's not going to work for me.

bit of a silly reason not to give it a go? trailers don't mean anything.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    109 uses of the n word, most used for laughs, according to Variety. http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117948899/

Wonder if that'll blow up on QT's face?
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Guardian gives it 5 stars
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Tarantino movie? he better not drag it out like did Inglorious. It was a good film, but he took 20 mins for every conversation and it kinda felt like I had to force myself to stay till the end

It's 2 hours 45 minutes long, meaning it's longer than basterds. Still I'm surprised by how positive that guardian write up is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    It's 2 hours 45 minutes long, meaning it's longer than basterds. Still I'm surprised by how positive that guardian write up is.

It's got some big nomination love at the Golden Globes too, it's up for Best Picture (Drama), Best Director and Best Screenplay. Looks like it might be something special.