The Daleks are being overused again

ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else agree? I mean, they were given a year off, but they returned in the very first episode of the following season. They cropped up in the 50th (which, I admit, they should of) and now they are in the Christmas special. AND, Moffat stated that he prefers the new Doctor to meet the Daleks early on in the run, and therefore it wouldn't surprise if if they crop up in Capaldi's first season as well.

However, I have a feeling that Capaldi is going to appear near the beginning or middle of the Xmas special. That way, he's technically faced the Daleks and also, Moffat seems to be able to describe his portrayal of the Doctor in quite a lot of detail already, which indicates that Capaldi has a lot of screen time in the episode.

Comments

• garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Well they were in for a total of about 3 minutes out of a 75 minute episode hardly overused.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    And they haven't had a year off i think its been 3 years now since they had their own episode.

Why not use them they are world wide known. They belong to doctor who. They are iconic.only issue u have is when there are millions of them.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More Daleks, less Daleks, I don't mind... Just as long as they're a good fit for any story they appear in. Same for the Cybermen and the Master. These are the three foes I hate being seen used just for their name. I'd like to see other old enemies recycled instead, like the Mara for example.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I like the way Moffat often uses lots of returning enemies in one episode. I'd rather he chose one returning enemy and made them the villains of the whole story so they could be developed in full rather than being on screen for only a fraction of the episode; much like the Daleks in Asylum of the Daleks.

It was understandable for the 50th anniversary special because a) it was supposed to be a celebration of the past and b) part of it was set in The Time War.
    However, I fear that because there are so many returning villains in Time of the Doctor (Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels, Silents, Sontarans), none of them will get the development they deserve. I'd especially like to see the return of the new Cybermen fully explained by referencing the end of Nightmare in Silver.

At the end of the day though, I haven't seen the episode yet so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, if the episode sees the return of The Alliance from The Pandorica Opens maybe that will be a good thing because it could mean we'll get a proper explanation as to why the TARDIS blew up.
    garbage456 wrote: »
    And they haven't had a year off i think its been 3 years now since they had their own episode.

Asylum of the Daleks? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    Thamwet wrote: »
    Anyone else agree? I mean, they were given a year off, but they returned in the very first episode of the following season. They cropped up in the 50th (which, I admit, they should of) and now they are in the Christmas special. AND, Moffat stated that he prefers the new Doctor to meet the Daleks early on in the run, and therefore it wouldn't surprise if if they crop up in Capaldi's first season as well.

However, I have a feeling that Capaldi is going to appear near the beginning or middle of the Xmas special. That way, he's technically faced the Daleks and also, Moffat seems to be able to describe his portrayal of the Doctor in quite a lot of detail already, which indicates that Capaldi has a lot of screen time in the episode.

It won't happen. That'll be a really bad idea if it did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I love the Daleks. Unless they appear in every single episode, you won't find a complaint from me. The only villain I feel is a bit overused (or maybe it's overrated) are the weeping angels. Even they haven't been used much.

Maybe it's the feeling that there's nothing new with the Daleks. They usually follow the same format: Daleks want to kill and exterminate, Doctor gets all reminiscent about them, Doctor defeats them.
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »
    Anyone else agree? I mean, they were given a year off, but they returned in the very first episode of the following season. They cropped up in the 50th (which, I admit, they should of) and now they are in the Christmas special.

Just to point out that 28th Dec is the Daleks 50th anniversary, so having them in the Christmas day special is pretty appropriate really.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    Just to point out that 28th Dec is the Daleks 50th anniversary, so having them in the Christmas day special is pretty appropriate really.

Hopefully we'll see the Daleks throwing themselves a party in the Christmas Special :D

They can invite One Direction and exterminate them.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I do feel that we need a proper break from them. I was glad that they were given a rest for series 6 but then they were back as soon as series 7 arrived. I was hoping they would be saved for the 50th, personally (I did enjoy Asylum though).

I wouldn't mind if they didn't get another story for 3 or 4 years. So far they have been in all but one series since the relaunch (not counting cameos). Give them a proper rest and bring them back when they have had time to stew, this would have much more dramatic impact than a return after only 1 or 2 years away from the programme (providing they were given a solid story of course).
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pleasantly surprised that it's the 'new Who' gold Daleks in the Christmas episode, rather than the 'new paradigm' Daleks which were poorly received by fans.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like how they've used the daleks in new Who (apart from the daleks in Manhattan ones, which were terrible).
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Let's face it Doctor Who & The Daleks go together like eggs & bacon!
    They belong together - that's what MADE Doctor Who so popular all those years ago.....they'll never go away!! :D:D
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »

Not to be too technical here, but the first appearance of a Dalek (well, sucker) was on 21st December. Which makes that the 50th Anniverary.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look forward to seeing the Dr face all his enemies. 11 is suppose to make a speech. Sure it will be epic. Perfect opportunity to say how much he enjoyed fighting and defeating them.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a rule of thumb, I believe they are used at least once a year due to a contract with Terry Nation's estate. Not too sure on the details, but that's what I've read. Makes sense though, and explains why a Dalek made 10 second cameos in the 2009 Specials year and Series 6.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yah they are. However asylum of the daleks was an awesome epiosde, and can't wait for them to explore the story of the Daleks now not having any memory of the doctor.
  • taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen the Christmas episode yet, but considering it's on for an hour and it contains Cybermen, Silence and sleeping angels I'd hardly consider the Daleks being the main focus of attention.

In fact under SM the Daleks have taken a back seat in terms of Dalek centric stories, yea they may appear in a story but it's not the old style "The Daleks and....." from of old, for me this works because the Dalek sphere of influence in the universe is huge and it's only fair to assume that the Doctor will stumble on them without it turning into the big multipart stories of old.

Same thing happened with the Cybermen in AGMGTW.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no problem with them being used often if they are being built up again into a formidable constant foe..rather than the throwaway Daleks of recent years.

I'd like to see them used more like the Borg from Star Trek...where often the only victory was just surviving their attack and getting away. It's always that bit more interesting when it's the Doctor on the back foot.
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only Dalek stories I consider canon in NUWHO are:

Dalek
    Evolution
    Victory
    Asylum

The rest are god damn awful and a disgrace to the likes of Evil, Genesis, and Remembrance.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »

Dalek
    Evolution
    Victory
    Asylum

The rest are god damn awful and a disgrace to the likes of Evil, Genesis, and Remembrance.

So...Eccleston being canon is a big mistake that the educated can pretend never happened, but his 9th Doctor story Dalek should be regarded as canon. How does that work then?
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »

Dalek
    Evolution
    Victory
    Asylum

Well you're a bit weird aren't you.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I'm pleasantly surprised that it's the 'new Who' gold Daleks in the Christmas episode, rather than the 'new paradigm' Daleks which were poorly received by fans.

Oh I agree to that. The Paradigm lot were awful. They should appear as commanders only- leaving the good old gold ones to do all the hard graft.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »
    So...Eccleston being canon is a big mistake that the educated can pretend never happened, but his 9th Doctor story Dalek should be regarded as canon. How does that work then?

Never mind that - how can one half of a two-parter be canon? Both parts have to be... You can't have Evolution without Daleks In Manhattan.

But then, Clackers is getting a certain reputation (meaning s/he might be found under a bridge that goats cross...).
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess we will never know.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I'll never guess this "overuse of the Daleks" thing older Who fans seem to hold dear.

You don't get Star Trek fans saying "JESUS! Enough with the Klingons already!"

If the writers have a good idea for an episode, one that maybe challenges the Daleks and takes them to new places, they shouldn't be limited just because another writer has used them a series or 2 ago.

One of my only 2 criticisms of the 50th Special was that 1) It wasn't the real Rose (*sob*) and 2. There wasn't nearly enough Time War considering 100% of the publicity, trailers, mini episodes, etc, focused on it.
    Basically it made the Time War look like 3 Daleks in 1 city.
    Needed a lot more Daleks imo.