Options

The Leftovers (Uk Pace)

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just actually finished catching up with the last few episodes. It's been quite brilliant - one of the best new dramas i've seen in a long time. The stoning actually had me wincing at the television - it was absolutely brutal.

The finale was brilliant as well. I really don't know how they can top this in season 2.

It's just a shame that they probably lost a lot of viewers who were expecting a "cult" show when it's anything but.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    The finale was brilliant as well. I really don't know how they can top this in season 2.

It's just a shame that they probably lost a lot of viewers who were expecting a "cult" show when it's anything but.

Brilliant TV, but it is still a "cult" type show that can only hope to appeal to a fairly limited range of people. I can't remember the last time I watched a series and thought so many times that "this is making no concessions at all to the average couch potato and what he wants from TV."
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Brilliant TV, but it is still a "cult" type show that can only hope to appeal to a fairly limited range of people. I can't remember the last time I watched a series and thought so many times that "this is making no concessions at all to the average couch potato and what he wants from TV."

How is it a "cult" show when it's shown zero signs of being one?

The only thing that could be considered "cult" is the plot device used to set things up, Other than that, I personally think it's been straight up drama.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    How is it a "cult" show when it's shown zero signs of being one?

The only thing that could be considered "cult" is the plot device used to set things up, Other than that, I personally think it's been straight up drama.

The plot device you speak of is part of the entire premise of the show: all those people disappeared because of something that falls into either the supernatural realm or the science fiction one. But putting that aside for a moment, there are other parts of the show that point to it being fantasy or science fiction even if they are presented in a way that is very ambiguous. "Holy Wayne" seems to have had super-human abilities. Was it ambiguous enough that an argument could be made he was either a con man or merely imagined he had special powers? Sure, but I do think he did have those powers. Also, what's going on with Kevin seeming to shift back and forth between two different realities, with him having no memory of what happens in one of them? Again, there is enough ambiguity that you can say, "He is crazy, or is going crazy." I am not sure about that. Something of a supernatural or science fiction nature could be happening to him. This probably ties in with Kevin's father. Again, it is possible that he just crazy. Or, the voices he hears could be those of actual entities and everybody, including Kevin, is mistaken in thinking he is mentally ill.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »

Yes I agree , and that was made it so riveting - I hope season 2 comes soon and I hope it's as uncompromising. I miss it!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Being pregnant in her mid to late 40s plays into the narrative of the leftovers feeling guilt about wishing the departure of those who vanished. She was anxious about being pregnant and part of her wished she wasn't.

I presume when people started to dissapear she was having a scan at the time and when she tilted her head up the 'baby' also disappeared,i presume that's why she became distant from her husband.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit slow, it only just came to me today (I don't know why I was thinking of it) that the models the GRs put in peoples' houses were made by the company of that guy Norma met at the conference, & that when they stole peoples' photos - it was so the model makers had something to base their work on; I wonder where they got the money from though as I seem to remember the price the guy quoted for just one model was very high.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long until Season 2 now - I've just rewatched all the season 1 episodes in preparation - enjoyed it even more second time around.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 2 starts Monday on Sky Atlantic - hardly any need for a UK pace thread as it's only 1 day after the US air date.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet theres still arguments :)
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they'll use the same Max Richter music, hopefully he's composed some new stuff for season 2. Can't wait for this to start.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nora is my fave character from the show, I hope they have lots of her this season.

Did anyone see 'Left Behind' on Channel 5 the other week.

It was the same premise, only during the rapture rather than after.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTF was that? :confused:
  • Options
    marios mummarios mum Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the beginning with the cave woman and her baby was gripping - although I was wondering if I was actually watching Leftovers and not tuned in to something else by mistake - I assume we won't be referring back to that and it was just to show us that it all happened at Miracle? Unless the baby is someone's ancestor and has something to do with Miracle being spared?

I can't quite remember how series one ended with the police chief, his wife and daughter ended? I'm glad he's with Nora - but where does the baby fit in - have I forgotten about that as well?
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marios mum wrote: »
    can't quite remember how series one ended with the police chief, his wife and daughter ended? I'm glad he's with Nora - but where does the baby fit in - have I forgotten about that as well?
    The baby is the daughter of the cult leader and his chosen girlfriend who the Sheriff's son was tasked with protecting. The cult leader was killed. I think, but I can't remember what happened to the woman. The sheriff came home to find the baby on his front door step
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    The baby is the daughter of the cult leader and his chosen girlfriend who the Sheriff's son was tasked with protecting. The cult leader was killed. I think, but I can't remember what happened to the woman. The sheriff came home to find the baby on his front door step

As I recall the girl ran off leaving the Sheriff's son holding the baby. He then goes home but I'm pretty certain he left the baby on Nora's door step for some reason. I recall her picking up the baby.....

Addendum to the above

Had a quick google. Tom leaves the baby on his parents' porch but Nora finds it when she goes to say good bye to Kevin
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So glad Regina King is in this season. She is such a great actress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So where are the white-wearing smokers?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So where are the white-wearing smokers?

They all got beaten up or killed after the Mannequin incident.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that waste disposal unit is going to be used for something horrible.
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They all got beaten up or killed after the Mannequin incident.
    Good job as well, hated them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nora annoys me. The most interesting people are the guys from the university who bought Nora's old house for research purposes, but I suppose we won't see any more of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey, a man being raped by a woman - that's not something you see/hear regularly.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just caught episode 5. Wow can't believe that's Brett Butler from Grace Under Fire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is Kevin dead then? How silly of him to trust that witch-doctor bloke. Under normal circumstances I'd advise him to listen to Lori & get prescribed anti-psychotic medication, but seeing as 140million people disappeared without a trace - maybe Patty is actually there talking to him.....