Options

The Big Bang Theory Season 6 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Kymberly wrote: »
    Does anyone know yet when Channel 4 are going to air season 6 in the Uk?

Edited - already posted that its November :o
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is still funny, still has its moments.

I don't get the complaints about Bernadette and Amy. I mean, what exactly would the show do without them? Continue to repeat what they did for the first three seasons. The show has to move forward.

They've kept Howard and Sheldon (and some extent Penny) refreshed.

You just have to look at the things they've kept the same like Raj's inability to talk to women and Penny/Leonard's on-off relationship, it's repetitive and going over old ground.

It's time they moved P/L passed their issues and actually gave Raj something to do, the actor seems bored.
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    The show is still funny, still has its moments.

I don't get the complaints about Bernadette and Amy. I mean, what exactly would the show do without them? Continue to repeat what they did for the first three seasons. The show has to move forward.

They've kept Howard and Sheldon (and some extent Penny) refreshed.

You just have to look at the things they've kept the same like Raj's inability to talk to women and Penny/Leonard's on-off relationship, it's repetitive and going over old ground.

It's time they moved P/L passed their issues and actually gave Raj something to do, the actor seems bored.

I think we all agree that the show has to develop rather than just stagnate but clearly, for a percentage of us at least, the direction they have chosen to move it in (and the characters they have introduced) have changed it to something that is no longer a 'must watch' ... or even watch at all in my case. I know not everyone agrees but Amy really is a dreadful addition to the team.

In fact it is interesting to note the things that they have chosen to leave alone. It makes me wonder why they didn't give the otherwise boring Raj the relationship and leave the previously entertaining 'sleazy' Howard single. To my mind there would have been a lot more comic potential in that. It just seems they have changed the good things and kept the boring stuff. Still, I'm not a writer so what do I know? :o
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    In fact it is interesting to note the things that they have chosen to leave alone. It makes me wonder why they didn't give the otherwise boring Raj the relationship and leave the previously entertaining 'sleazy' Howard single. To my mind there would have been a lot more comic potential in that. It just seems they have changed the good things and kept the boring stuff. Still, I'm not a writer so what do I know? :o
    You should be - I like your ideas!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »

That's true, but IMO Howard's sleaziness got tedious by season 3. He's still sleazy with his crude comments, just in a monogamous way. :D
    Not to mention him still living with his mother keeps the character similar enough.

I just still can't believe that they never give Raj anything substantial to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I just still can't believe that they never give Raj anything substantial to do.

i would imagine its hard when he cant speak to women, but i suppose that could be why they have brought stuart in as a regular character who raj has befriended to give him more situations to get into. only time will tell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would imagine its hard when he cant speak to women,

That's kind of my point. They've never moved the character beyond that one joke since the pilot. Quite weird that they're still trying to milk laughs out of it.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's kind of my point. They've never moved the character beyond that one joke since the pilot. Quite weird that they're still trying to milk laughs out of it.
    Indeed. Raj is mostly silent (because there are women present) or making some reference to being Indian. The writers don't seem to have much imagination with his character.
    In fact, Raj has only made me laugh once and that was his "So.....you can't pay your rent?" line (in the episode with Sheldon's nymphomaniac colleague).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    Indeed. Raj is mostly silent (because there are women present) or making some reference to being Indian. The writers don't seem to have much imagination with his character.
    In fact, Raj has only made me laugh once and that was his "So.....you can't pay your rent?" line (in the episode with Sheldon's nymphomaniac colleague).

Mine is when he enters the hotel room in Switzerland :D
    "Ooooh, little chocolates!" or something like that.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is when he enters the hotel room in Switzerland :D
    "Ooooh, little chocolates!" or something like that.

It's the way he says that line that makes it amusing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »

the one line that makes me laugh so much is an earlier episode where he and sheldon are talking about how cows are sacred to hindus and when raj is annoyed at sheldon he says dont mess with me, i swear to cow. it gets me every time
  • Options
    Forum Member

i meant it would be hard to put him in a situation when he wont speak to women unless he is drunk.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    There was one episode where they put him on a new drug for social anxiety which worked but he took all his clothes off, they could have just have him try a different drug and that could work and he could then talk to women, SSRI antidepressants are used for social anxiety so this would ring true (unlike the comic side affects).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i meant it would be hard to put him in a situation when he wont speak to women unless he is drunk.

:confused: Yes, I know what you said.

I'm saying that they should have had the character get over these issues and start talking to women to give him something to do. He's had the same joke since the pilot, it's time he had something new.
    He should at least be more comfortable with Penny after all these years.
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    It's the way he says that line that makes it amusing :D

It is. :D
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting bored of Howard-In-Space, so I'm glad to hear that plotline's ending soon - was Simon Helberg unavailable for regular filming or something? It certainly feels like a fill-in, rather than some grand plan...

Other than that it's been an OK start to the season, but not outstanding. I genuinely like the Amy character, the lesbian undertones with Penny and her occasional bluntness (like calling Alex a "skank" in the latest episode) make her more than just a female Sheldon.

I even like Bernadette when they're letting her be more than just cutesy to Howard (e.g. like showing her dislike of children in the magician episode), but the main characters are definitely showing signs of "Flanderization", as most sitcom characters do once they get this far into a series; Raj acts more "metrosexual", Penny's more snarky, Sheldon's now plain rude (rather than geeky/autistic) and so on, so they need to try a freshen things up with new characters somehow, though I'll be interested to see what they do with Stuart beyond being the group sad-sack...

Funny that some posters here have mentioned "Friends", I was actually convinced a few seasons ago that the writers would engineer things (like an earthquake or something) so that all the guys would end up living in Sheldon & Leonard's flat, with all the girls (including Priya) living with Penny!
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    There was one episode where they put him on a new drug for social anxiety which worked but he took all his clothes off, they could have just have him try a different drug and that could work and he could then talk to women, SSRI antidepressants are used for social anxiety so this would ring true (unlike the comic side affects).

I think that'd be a bad idea personally. I don't get the complaints what so ever regarding this really and his character shouldn't be changed regarding him not being able to talk to women. Fair enough if they did it in the final ever episode, but certainly not before. A better route would be for him to eventually (towards the end of the show) meet a woman that he was actually able to talk to without needing alcohol or any type of drug, thus instantly making him realise she's 'the one'.

Liking the new season so far, a lot.
  • Options
    FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I'm getting bored of Howard-In-Space, so I'm glad to hear that plotline's ending soon - was Simon Helberg unavailable for regular filming or something? It certainly feels like a fill-in, rather than some grand plan...

Other than that it's been an OK start to the season, but not outstanding. I genuinely like the Amy character, the lesbian undertones with Penny and her occasional bluntness (like calling Alex a "skank" in the latest episode) make her more than just a female Sheldon.

I even like Bernadette when they're letting her be more than just cutesy to Howard (e.g. like showing her dislike of children in the magician episode), but the main characters are definitely showing signs of "Flanderization", as most sitcom characters do once they get this far into a series; Raj acts more "metrosexual", Penny's more snarky, Sheldon's now plain rude (rather than geeky/autistic) and so on, so they need to try a freshen things up with new characters somehow, though I'll be interested to see what they do with Stuart beyond being the group sad-sack...

Funny that some posters here have mentioned "Friends", I was actually convinced a few seasons ago that the writers would engineer things (like an earthquake or something) so that all the guys would end up living in Sheldon & Leonard's flat, with all the girls (including Priya) living with Penny!
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    "Spoilers MUST be in tags!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »

I already seen it..... Mwaaahhhh.
  • Options
    FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »

Hardly a spoiler.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I already seen it..... Mwaaahhhh.

Yes, we know- given that most of your 14 posts are you banging on about how you saw it filmed. I think you're the only one who is particularly impressed by this!
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He has been doing a film directed by his wife so maybe that's why he's been away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    Yes, we know- given that most of your 14 posts are you banging on about how you saw it filmed. I think you're the only one who is particularly impressed by this!

Again...... Mwwwwaaaaahhhhhhh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    He has been doing a film directed by his wife so maybe that's why he's been away.

The cast are required to "be on set" even when they are not featured in the show, or just feature in pre-recorded scenes.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watching one of the E4 episodes tonight makes me wish they could bring back Shelly's twin sister for an episode. I'd lik to see her reaction to Amy Farrah Fowler.

Speaking of which, have we seen AFF and Sheldon's Mum interacting?