black Friday 2014 in the UK?

Comments

• Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Ehh? Are you saying that the fact Black Friday is happening in the UK is being advertised on American TV? Why would they care?

Only connection i know is Walmart owns Asda .

Does Asda sell tv s?
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Asda have been advertising that they will be participating. Walmart isn't a brand here.

They use the Walmart branding when it comes to Black Friday at ASDA over here. They call it Walmart Black Friday, even though Walmart isn't usually used as a brand over here. See: http://www.asda.com/blackfriday/index.html?cmpid=ppc-_-ad-_-ggle-br-_-od18-seas_occa-_-asda%20black%20friday&cm_mmc=ad-ppc-_-ggle-gen-_-od18-seas_occa-_-asda%20black%20friday

Walmart Black Friday at ASDA is what they call it.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helix wrote: »
    They use the Walmart branding when it comes to Black Friday at ASDA over here. They call it Walmart Black Friday, even though Walmart isn't usually used as a brand over here. See: http://www.asda.com/blackfriday/index.html?cmpid=ppc-_-ad-_-ggle-br-_-od18-seas_occa-_-asda%20black%20friday&cm_mmc=ad-ppc-_-ggle-gen-_-od18-seas_occa-_-asda%20black%20friday

Walmart Black Friday at ASDA is what they call it.

Apologies to the poster before, I stand corrected.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there post made sense. Walmart are advertising tvs that will be on sale when black Friday hits the uk

It makes no sense at all. Neither does this, sorry.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    It makes no sense at all. Neither does this, sorry.

It's been explained properly now. See the post above mine.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    You mean Asda have been advertising that they will be participating. Walmart isn't a brand here.

Walmart is in 5 foot letters above ASDA in my local one, so the brand is out there.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dare you all to try and shop in Bloomingdales on Black Friday if you are ever in the New York that day, a nightmare and riot rolled into one.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im hoping there's a good deal on either an Xbox One or an iPhone - ive booked the day off work!
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been explained properly now. See the post above mine.

Thanks, I get it now. :)
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if there is to be another black Friday this year over here?

What stores will be ting part?

Last year I bought a couple of televisions and 2 tablets, and an S3 mini from asda

Now that this Americanism has crossed the pond, and has taken root with the British sheeple it's going to be an annual event. :( >:(
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that this Americanism has crossed the pond, and has taken root with the British sheeple it's going to be an annual event. :( >:(
    Every flippin ad break there's been that supermarket countdown timer just trying to hammer the expression into the collective consciousness.

This is companies taking consumerism one step further, they are planting the idea that we must all go and spend spend spend on that one day as a really splendid participation thing and you have to have it as a topic of conversation of the "why are you not going?" type.
    They aren't even pretending - the history of the name is very clear : "this is the day we take all your money, the day you give us a huge profit" and people just go along with it. This is not about supporting your local shops or even nearby big department store any more because they are all part of big corporates or multinationals who all dispensed with 'customer' in favour of 'consumer' some years ago.

Sure, businesses make a profit and this is entirely normal, but this is where we see the raw corporate greed and they don't have the decency to dress it up in seasonal jollity.
    It's a 'celebration' of company profits, fat cat directors, shareholder greed, corporate tax avoidance, accidental accounting mistakes, not forgetting the suspiciously cheap stuff is made in almost-slavery conditions...

Yes, hurrah for the undesirable import :mad:

Somewhere around here I probably have a scruffy dog on a tatty bit of string :blush:
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member

"It's coming... Walmart's Black Friday from Asda"

http://your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/it-s-coming-walmart-s-black-friday-from-asda
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oohh i will going to all those shops on Friday :D
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    28th November
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    You'll all be out there buying things you don't need.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    10% off everything at B&Ms on Black Friday Afternoon.

Further deals available in selected B&M stores.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you against people being able to grab a decent bargain once in awhile ,
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im hoping there's a good deal on either an Xbox One or an iPhone - ive booked the day off work!

You take your bargain hunting seriously.
    I like it :)
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again.

Three years ago there was a "black Friday" thread here on DS where people were falling over themselves to brag about all the deals they had got on AMAZON.
    The thread seemed to be split between those that had purchased loads of bargains and those who had none at all.

Those that had purchased loads of stuff were very secretive about their ways and did not release their "techniques", but kept going on about having them.

Then one lunch time there was a particular excellent offer coming up. Sure enough an hour later, the same old posters were posting stuff along the lines of
    "sweet!!! managed to get two":D
    "Only got one":(
    etc etc

Then that evening Amazon released the statement that the item was being re-listed for the following day because due to a glitch no one had been successful.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Are you against people being able to grab a decent bargain once in awhile ,

And they must have it to make their lives worthwhile till the same time next year?
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    The UK always follow suit to America.
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was rich I would be all over this black Friday.... TVs reduced from £1300 to £889
    EOS Cameras down from £1299 for £699 etc..
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These sales get me excited