Lost finale- im sorry I really need to rant!

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2233 wrote: »
    Wow :mad: what a let down, you always got the impression that the writers were making it up as they went along,

and thats exactly what it was :mad:
    i didnt expect everything to be explained but that was ridiculas.

Half the storylines in this were just dropped with no explanation
    Charles Widmore for example :(

utter *******

Can't help thinking the writers became way too clever for their own good.They introduced too many barmy scenarios and concepts,to the point where they could never really explain them.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    chicaxs wrote: »
    Yes, they said that after everyone fan guessed their secret. But in the end - they all still died....;)

As much as I hated the ending, what do you expect them to do? Live forever? Yes they all died but that's real life, we're all going to die at some point which is what seems to have been the point of this ending. Even if the did throw in the stupid (IMO) way to get that across by having them all walk into a light to finally have peace or whatever, bleugh (that's my puking noise btw)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Cheers for that,that explains it well :) One thing I noticed is that Ben remains outside the church and doesn't go in : almost certainly something to do with the fact that he has killed a lot of people and is not ready to move on to the "next phase".

I think he had to atone for Alex's death first- she and Danielle still hadn't 'remembered'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't really see the problem with the ending. The mystery of the show remains, we got some answers (for instance: the bomb went off, whatever happened always happened, causing fertility issues etc.) and the rest of the answers can be left to speculation, which is much better than having nothing to ponder.

The idea of the alt being purgatory is simple yet emotionally effective, in my opinion. The final scene was perhaps a bit too overdone, but the concept itself is fine.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a random thought ..

Maybe when Jack's dad opened the door, we could have seen a "highlight reel" from their lives ?

If you've seen "My Finale" from Scrubs, you'll know exactly what i'm getting at.

At least that way it could have had some form of continuity and not basically jumped forward X amount of years to when they all died.

I did like the way the final scene was Jack's eye closing, as opposed to it opening in the very first scene of Season 1, Episode 1.

And i've said it once already but Evangeline Lilly looked utterly stunning in that dress ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Dharma572 wrote: »
    I found this which hopefully clears things up for those who did not understand! I did not write this. Found it but it is what happened:

Great, now what about these two:
    • what is the Island
    • what is the light

Without answers to both of those, we're left with the kind of ending I predicted 6 years ago. "It means whatever you want it to mean", in other words.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    why did alex and danielle not remember when they met ben like everyone else did when they "came together"
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyliep07 wrote: »
    why did alex and danielle not remember when they met ben like everyone else did when they "came together"

Because Ben, for whatever reason, isn't ready to go yet. When he is, they will remember.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chicaxs wrote: »
    I cannot ignore the fact that when the producers say the symmetry will answer everything - I will interpret that as I have in my previous posts. It is more logical (well logical for lost) to believe in their deaths at the crash, rather than they all survived - for me anyway.
    The conversation between Christian and Jack doesnt tell me otherwise? I understand he said - some lived longer than others - but why decades??? I think they just died on the Island, and we will never get to see their deaths - but what they shared - was all of what we have seen.

Christian said something like "The time you spent on the island with these people was when you were most alive",so presumably this explains why they all look the age they do in purgatory and why they are with each other.
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dharma572 wrote: »
    I found this which hopefully clears things up for those who did not understand! I did not write this. Found it but it is what happened:
    [snip]

Cheers for that, clears quite a few things that I thought were a bit inconsistent.

I couldn't quite understand how they all died at seperate times but went into purgatory together. But I guess they never really entered purgatory together, just that everyone met up once everyone had got there.

Good ending I thought, its interpreted slightly differently by different people depending on their own views. They could have clarified it a bit more but meh. Its been a great six years.

Tomorrow is the 24 finale, how am I going to cope with losing all these shows :cry:
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taken from IMDB ..

-The island is the location of the source/light/whatever, and special/ strange things happen there for that reason. That’s all.

-No one knows what the source/ light/ whatever is. It’s the same thing that’s at the heart of every religion- an inexplicable prime mover or an inexplicable but necessary component of existence. Maybe God, maybe where energy goes to be recycled, whatever. No additional explanation needed, because there are literally as many already as there are religions- all are right, and all are wrong. Jack (science) was right, and wrong. Locke (faith) was right, and wrong.

-The cork was literally a f’ing cork.

-Walt, Miles, Hurley et al have powers because they have powers- i.e., they exist in a universe where it is possible to have an island that is the home of God- as- a- light, so why would abnormal abilities be impossible? If God (or the scientific explanation for the phenomena we use “god” to describe) exists, why would a medium or a psychic be a stretch?

-There was never any greater battle between good and evil- just a battle between brothers. This is why Jacob did just as many horrible things as the man in black- neither was inherently good or evil. There were likely many protectors of the island before them, and many after, but we have no reason to think that each protector had an enemy to oppose. In fact, Jacob’s mother didn’t seem to. We have no reason to think Hurley did, either. Jacob’s mother also seemed to have the abilities of the smoke monster- destroying the village and the well the villagers were digging- so it’s possible that Jacob and the man in black split the powers that go to the islands’ protector, be it because they were twins or because Jacob sent the man in black’s body down the well of light. The crash survivors just had the bad luck of getting caught up in a brotherly conflict, not a cosmic struggle.

-Jack died after the island vomited him out. Kate, Sawyer, Richard and the others escaped. Hurley and Ben stayed on to protect the island. When each individual died, they went to the sideways/ alternate universe, which is the limbo created by their collective unconscious. They needed- presumably, we all need- the people who were most significant to us, and who we were most significant to, with us in order to move on. So, everything that happened in the island timeline happened, and everything that happened in the sideways was limbo. Live together, die alone- die alone, move on together?

- Losties in the sideways/ limbo remembering= Losties encountering their constants.

-Dharma was actually there doing exactly what they said they were- conducting experiments on and because of the source/god/energy, some of which included mind and thought experiments. They may have also been trying to work out a way to keep the rest of us from using that energy to kill ourselves (Valenzetti equation).

- The people who were not in the church had more significant connections with other people or other times in their lives, and thus were waiting for them- Ben was presumably waiting for Alex, JiYeon grew up without her parents and so would be with someone else entirely, Michael and Walt were probably together, Eko was with his brother, etc.

-The light is whatever god is, whatever science tries to explain. All of the paranormal aspects of the show can be explained by the fact that the inexplicable exists. Possibly, science will at some point explain those paranormal aspects, but that’s not really the point.

-The sideways/ limbo and the island timelines were two distinct plotlines. You’ll notice that, while the Losties in the sideways were working on remembering so that they could all move on together, the Losties on the island knew nothing of the sideways (they never flashed to it or remembered anything about it) including Desmond and Hurley, who acted as guides to the others in the sideways. The only exception was Juliet, who glimpsed something as she was dying. This demonstrates that the sideways happened when they were able to have knowledge of the island- reality- but had moved on from it: the afterlife couldn’t bleed over into the island (reality) because they were still alive, but once they were dead and gathering to move on, they could remember their real lives.

-Limbo may exist as a function of the god/ energy/ light, but the god/ energy/ light is not a function of limbo. It and the island were not tools to help the Losties move on. What happened on the island happened, and was the most significant time in their lives, which is why they needed each other to move on. What happened on the island was not driven in any way by what happened in the sideways.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    Personally I love how much of it has been left unanswered. We've been allowed to put our own interpretations on it instead, kind of like when you look at a piece of modern art in a gallery. :)

This is one of the many reasons I despise modern art :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get how anyone could interpret that they died on impact. We clearly WATCHED Jack die in the final scene, and Christian even explained that some of the others lived long after Jack passed on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    SlashNX wrote: »
    Now i had low expectations for the finale. I knew not everything was going to be answered, but a few big table changing answers would have been nice.

Now with most other programmes, like Heroes or Desperate Housewives a character driven end, where we find out what happens to all the characters would have been fine.

But that was not what LOST was ever about, the magic of Lost were all the questions about the island, the numbers and the timetravelling stuff.

When the writers said they would be answering most of the questions... can anyone truely say their top questions were "who would Kate choose... jack or saywer?" or "Will Claire and Charlie ever re-unite?"

No! The questions everyone was wanting answers to were island related... none of which were ever answered. it was just one question after another! NOTHING about the island! NOTHING about the black smoke. NOTHING about the numbers. NOTHING about walt... who seemed integral to everything at the beginning. NOTHING about why children couldnt be born on the island. NOTHING about the time travelling aspect.

I am seriously pissed off... nothing was ever answered. I dont care whether Jack and Kate hooked up in the afterlife!

RANT OVER!

The problem, as I've posted in another thread, is they created far too many questions and mysteries to answer. Instead of devising satisfying answers quickly, which might have lost viewers, they added more questions instead, which kept the lot of us hooked, waiting for mystery after mystery to be solved. And to be fair, a lot did get answered, but for every question they would have tried to answer, there would have been 3 or 4 left unsolved.

It's the price we've paid for a mystery thriller show which has run for 6 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be lovely if that's what really happens when we die. Atheism sucks sometimes. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Sept 6th on Amazon £134.19.

Brilliant, Thanks :D

I don't think I will be buying at that price though :(
    £40 - £70 I could live with, but £134.19 - no thanks!

Also 4 months? seems quite a long time, I would have thought they would have been pushing sales as soon as the series finished :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mates? wrote: »
    I don't get how anyone could interpret that they died on impact. We clearly WATCHED Jack die in the final scene, and Christian even explained that some of the others lived long after Jack passed on.

You could explain by imagining that the entire six years (or whatever the real period was) was purgatory,and that everything that happened on the island was a trial.Not sure how people dying on the island would fit into that though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Well I thought it was wonderful and spent the whole time crying! I (unusual for me who has been 'Lost' on Lost up until now!), actually got what it was all about at the very end during the convo between Jack and his dad. Somewhere along the way I half expected it to finish exactly how it started (after the 815 crash, Jack waking up etc), until s6 anyway. Then during this season and the ALT reality, especially the finale where Desmond is telling Jack they all go on to another reality, I thought basically something would happen and they would all be there as they are in the ALT having been given a 2nd chance at things, where they board 815 and it never crashes.. I never expected that the ALT was actually purgatory but very clever! I thought lots was left unsanswered but reading the threads on here I realise a lot of the questions people believe aren't answered have been answered already. The final scene where Jack collapses in the same spot as he landed/ him smiling as he sees the Ajira flight take off, and finally with his eye closing as he dies, was stunning.

Eyes are still sore! Brilliant!
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    what boring lives Kate, Sawyer, etc etc must have lead when they left the island if their purgatory was to be with those who were most significant to them and they went back to that lot
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    You could explain by imagining that the entire six years (or whatever the real period was) was purgatory,and that everything that happened on the island was a trial.Not sure how people dying on the island would fit into that though.

If they had all died on impact, Jack wouldn't have met most of them. That would make the final scenes in the Church totally irrelevant as it would mean that Charlie never met Claire, Hurley never met Libby etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I thought that ending made sense, but a MASSIVE chunk was missing from the story-telling i.e. what the island is, its history, the history of the people on it.

This, in turn, makes is really bad writing.

After all, if this is how they planned it to end then the whole show could have started and ended in one season.

What a load of rubbish!

I hope that everyone else is coping...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Hoot wrote: »
    It would be lovely if that's what really happens when we die. Atheism sucks sometimes. :p

There are many respected scientists who regard prominent atheists as arrogant buffoons.150 years ago the concept of television would have been unimaginable to the great thinkers of that era.

Saying that an afterlife is scientifically impossible (as the atheists constantly do) makes me laugh.Our sum total of what the universe is really about is practically negligible at this moment in time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    what boring lives Kate, Sawyer, etc etc must have lead when they left the island if their purgatory was to be with those who were most significant to them and they went back to that lot

I don't know about you, but if I'd been through what they had the most excitement I'd ever want would be a lie down with a nice cup of tea. :D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG What a crock of shite.

Cheats.

One of the worst endings ever.

A true Deus Ex Machina.

:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    If they had all died on impact, Jack wouldn't have met most of them. That would make the final scenes in the Church totally irrelevant as it would mean that Charlie never met Claire, Hurley never met Libby etc.

Presumaby he would have met most of them through them all dying at the exact same moment,though why he would spend purgatory with them and not other loved ones would be harder to explain.