Options

How many of your favourite films did you actually see at the cinema?

AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The other day I was thinking about my top ten favourite films when I realised that I had not actually seen any of them in all their original glory on the big screen at the time they were released.

1. L.A. Confidential (1997) No
2. Zodiac (2007) No
3. Goodfellas (1990) No
4. Se7en (1995) No
5. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) No
6. Memento (2000) No
7. Groundhog Day (1993) No
8. Catch Me If You Can (2002) No
9. Rear Window (1954) No
10. Vertigo (1958) No

0/10

The films are still great on DVD and Blu-ray but it kind of saddens me a bit that I'll never get to experience them in a proper cinema.

Comments

• Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    3 of my fav films were out before I was born so no
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batman Begins - No
    Inception - Yes
    The Dark Knight - Yes
    The Prestige - No
    Memento - No
    (These are genuinely some of my favourite films, I had no idea they were directed by the same person till after I saw The Dark Knight)
    Kick Ass - No
    Airplane! - N
    The Social Network - Yes
    127 Hours - Yes
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the following films at the cinema :
    Jaws
    The classic Star Wars Trilogy
    Close Encounters
    Hellraiser
    Friday the 13th (original)
    The Bruce Lee classic
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Carrie

All much loved - and watched - films of mine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Transformers: The Movie: Yes. Was a choice between that and Octopussy, I think. A bond film, anyhow. Never regretted it!
    Sleepy Hollow: Yes. 4 times
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Yes, also 4 times
    Raiders of the Lost Ark: No
    Aliens: No
    Back to the Future: No
    Spiderman 1 & 2: Yes
    The Incredible Hulk: Yes.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanishing Point , Harold and Maude , Godfather films , I saw them all first on tv .
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lotr - yes
    Gladiator - no
    The Matrix - no

Was too young to see the latter 2 at the cinema :(.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than 10% of them.

Most of my favourite films were either released before I was even born or I was just too young (at the time) to have seen them in the cinema.

I wish I could go back in time to see some of the finest gems on their theatrical release.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I don't have favourite films - I like films but never really had favourites - it is weird but I have never really had favourite anything - whenever I try I end up dismissing it as a favourite soon after. People always look at me weird because I don't have a favourite colour too :)

But I have missed a lot of films that I had wished I had seen on the Big Screen. Star Wars (the original 3) The first Matrix film, Minority Report, Die Hard and Die Harder, Man on Fire, Spider-man, I Robot ... probably loads more too :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul is my favourite movie of all time and I saw that at the cinema last Friday. The only other movie in my top 10 that I've seen at the cinema is The Hurt Locker.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread :)

2 of my alltime favourites were released before I was old enough to see them in the cinema - Alien & The Exorcist, tho happily I did get to see Alien on the big screen when the directors cut was screened.

Some of my favourites I did get to see tho when originally screened were
    Back To The Future (all three)
    Aliens
    Blade Runner
    Star Wars (all three originals)
    The Lord Of The Rings trilogy
    Mad Max II & III
    Jurassic Park
    Silence Of The Lambs
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AppleTango wrote: »
    The other day I was thinking about my top ten favourite films when I realised that I had not actually seen any of them in all their original glory on the big screen at the time they were released.

1. L.A. Confidential (1997) No
    2. Zodiac (2007) No
    3. Goodfellas (1990) No
    4. Se7en (1995) No
    5. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) No
    6. Memento (2000) No
    7. Groundhog Day (1993) No
    8. Catch Me If You Can (2002) No
    9. Rear Window (1954) No
    10. Vertigo (1958) No

0/10

The films are still great on DVD and Blu-ray but it kind of saddens me a bit that I'll never get to experience them in a proper cinema.

Proper cinema, pah!

There aren't any anymore. I still get disappointed when you go to the cinema and half of it is cut off because it's been converted to multi screen.

That great echoey space of a 5,000 seater. Places where you could really lose yourself in the film because their immense size and depth had already worked on the subconcious and you felt quite apart from the real world before the film even started.
    Especially when they were looking a bit tawdry when the lights went up. That added to the feeling that you'd stepped into some different dimension.
    Cinemas now are so pedestrian, so ordinary, so "safe", so convenient.

And when they were full, that gave a whole different aspect. A sense of awe that so many could be so engrossed with what was on screen. The atmosphere was electric, lots of people united can create a special type of dynamic and that was unique to seeing a big film in a big cinema.

Sorry to go on, but there's something missing now in cinemas. The anticipation (is that it?) of queing to see a film, and it being the only chance you get to see the film, and you are with all those other people also seeing the same film, and coming out after the film and everybody has got the same buzz going on.

It was an event and an experience and now it's been tamed and made pedestrian.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my Top Ten:

Goodfellas
    Back to the Future
    Jurassic Park

The first two were not at the time, but special showings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost Famous - NO
    Goodfellas - NO
    Garden State - NO
    Milk - NO
    Pretty In Pink - NO
    True Romance - NO
    Adventures In Babysitting - NO
    Betty Blue - NO
    In Search of a Midnight Kiss - YES
    Leon - NO
    Closer - NO
    Lost In Translation - YES
    Beautiful Girls - NO
    Stand By Me - NO
    The Departed - YES
    Leaving Las Vegas - NO
    Before Sunrise - NO
    Kick-Ass - YES
    Human Traffic - NO
    The Lives of Others - NO

4/20 Shocking :eek:
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proper cinema, pah!

There aren't any anymore. I still get disappointed when you go to the cinema and half of it is cut off because it's been converted to multi screen.

That great echoey space of a 5,000 seater. Places where you could really lose yourself in the film because their immense size and depth had already worked on the subconcious and you felt quite apart from the real world before the film even started.
    Especially when they were looking a bit tawdry when the lights went up. That added to the feeling that you'd stepped into some different dimension.
    Cinemas now are so pedestrian, so ordinary, so "safe", so convenient.

And when they were full, that gave a whole different aspect. A sense of awe that so many could be so engrossed with what was on screen. The atmosphere was electric, lots of people united can create a special type of dynamic and that was unique to seeing a big film in a big cinema.

Sorry to go on, but there's something missing now in cinemas. The anticipation (is that it?) of queing to see a film, and it being the only chance you get to see the film, and you are with all those other people also seeing the same film, and coming out after the film and everybody has got the same buzz going on.

It was an event and an experience and now it's been tamed and made pedestrian.

I haven't really thought about it before but I think I agree. The huge Vue at Westfield has immaculate picture quality and comfy seats but what it really feels like is a room designed to be as like watching on TV as possible. Whereas the Gate up the road is an old-school single screen cinema with fairly hard seats and poor rake, yet it feels much more like a proper cinema. Perhaps it's no coincidence that the Vue sells grim-smelling hot dogs and nachos whilst the Gate sells wine and premium lagers: going there is more like a special occasion.

I saw loads of my favourite films as a teenager and twentysomething in stunning cinemas that don't exist any more. Modern multiplexes have no atmosphere, just vast foyers that look like fast-food joints. But presumably they make more money than the old ones.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Back to the future 1, 2 & 3 yes
    ET yes
    Terminator 2 yes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My current top 10:

Inside I'm Dancing - No.
    Big Fish - Yes.
    The Boondock Saints - No.
    In Bruges - No.
    Grave of the Fireflies - No.
    Inception - Yes.
    Beauty and the Beast - Yes.
    Toy Story 3 - Yes.
    Mirrormask - No.
    Cruel Intentions - No.

4/10
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I haven't really thought about it before but I think I agree. The huge Vue at Westfield has immaculate picture quality and comfy seats but what it really feels like is a room designed to be as like watching on TV as possible. Whereas the Gate up the road is an old-school single screen cinema with fairly hard seats and poor rake, yet it feels much more like a proper cinema. Perhaps it's no coincidence that the Vue sells grim-smelling hot dogs and nachos whilst the Gate sells wine and premium lagers: going there is more like a special occasion.

I saw loads of my favourite films as a teenager and twentysomething in stunning cinemas that don't exist any more. Modern multiplexes have no atmosphere, just vast foyers that look like fast-food joints. But presumably they make more money than the old ones.

The new multi plexes are just depressing IMO, they feel more like flm factories than "theatres".

Mind, I grew up local to the Finsbury Park Astoria (saw the Beatles there with my family when 2yo) so I think I was spoilt.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjuk/2558334789/

Excuse the religous stuff, it's now some kind of temple. But I still remember sitting in the stalls and seeing the stars and the Moorish "houses" and thinking they were real.

This is my local cinema now. Although it's been divided, the circle is still one complete screen, so the size and atmosphere are still ok. Plus the 15C entrance hall (restored by Pugin) is one hell of a suprise to see in a cinema.

http://www.mawgrim.co.uk/cavalcade/salisburyaud1.jpg