Options

Shock axings of TV shows

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The news of the recent axing of Shooting Stars came as a huge shock to its fans

Has there ever been any other time when the axing of a show has come as a bombshell

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    retroguy wrote: »

Has there ever been any other time when the axing of a show has come as a bombshell

Might have been a shock to teh die hard fan but to everyone else it had stopped being funny
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bill....
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Shows are generally only axed when their ratings have dropped to a level that makes them unsustainable. The Bill was well reported to be suffering in the ratings.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What often happens is the programme gets moved to less popular time-slots leading to to reduced ratings & an excuse to axe it.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    What often happens is the programme gets moved to less popular time-slots leading to to reduced ratings & an excuse to axe it.
    In The Bill's case it was actually promoted from 8pm to 9pm but it broke life-long viewer habits in the process and the revamp for the post-watershed slot proved to be a turnoff for fans. Really sad what happened to that iconic show, but not unexpected for anybody who followed the numbers at the time.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Does rather depend on who you ask.

Hustle springs to mind - the next series is it's last - this was a decision by the makers to end when on to.

Stargate Atlantis also ended when it was on top - it's parent show lasted 10 years - Atlantis only half that.

That was followed by Universe. Now I realise that for many people they hated Universe - partly for replacing Atlantis but also for being radically different to the two shows that preceded it. Personally while it was slow at the start - I thought it was brave of the makers to be radical - also I thought it was just getting it's stride when it ended.

What surprised me is not that SyFy cancelled it - but that MGM essentially dropped it's most lucrative TV franchise when there were still 200 odd countries buying it.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eldorado.

Personally, I've never recovered from it being axed. :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reaper, on America's CW channel.

A very funny series with an interesting and quirky story. They lopped it off just before series 3 was due to start.

Unfinished storylines, established fan base and everything just dropped.
  • Options
    Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    The 4400 - We never did get to find out what it was all about.

Sadly I think Misfits is heading the same way. They should be given noticed if a next series is to be the last and so they can at least conclude what the hell it was all about in the first place.

Especially with these sci-fi ones, we need to know where these special powers came from and why they had then - IE the whole point of both the above shows existence.

Still, I would prefer no ending to the one they did in Lost - 6 Years of my life wasted on that.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    In The Bill's case it was actually promoted from 8pm to 9pm but it broke life-long viewer habits in the process and the revamp for the post-watershed slot proved to be a turnoff for fans. Really sad what happened to that iconic show, but not unexpected for anybody who followed the numbers at the time.

Also STV didn't help when they stopped showing it, because I liked The Bill, but forgot it was on most of the time as I had to hunting for ITV 1.

My husband really liked Stargate Universe, I watched it, but didn't really have an opinion, so he was annoyed it was cancelled.

I also really liked Pushing Daisies and that was winning awards when it was cancelled, but I thought the idea was getting tired.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shows are generally only axed when their ratings have dropped to a level that makes them unsustainable. The Bill was well reported to be suffering in the ratings.

yeah true I suppose. It was pretty pants on at 9pm but still thought they would work with it. :(
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Dark Angel - Apparently it was moved to a nightmare slot to makeway for another new show on the network and so the ratings dropped. If it wasn't moved then the ratings wouldn't have taken the same hit.
    I think they cobbled together an ending for the series to show that they could go futher with it in a next series but it never came.
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reaper, on America's CW channel.

A very funny series with an interesting and quirky story. They lopped it off just before series 3 was due to start.

Unfinished storylines, established fan base and everything just dropped.

I loved Reaper!
    It never pulled up any trees with tough, hard hitting storylines but it was well done and usually pretty funny. The devil was just great too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    The 4400 - We never did get to find out what it was all about.

Sadly I think Misfits is heading the same way. They should be given noticed if a next series is to be the last and so they can at least conclude what the hell it was all about in the first place.

Especially with these sci-fi ones, we need to know where these special powers came from and why they had then - IE the whole point of both the above shows existence.

Still, I would prefer no ending to the one they did in Lost - 6 Years of my life wasted on that.

4/5 misfits shows have been #1 on e4. Can't see it being cancelled any time soon.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    In The Bill's case it was actually promoted from 8pm to 9pm but it broke life-long viewer habits in the process
    The Bill was originally one hour long shown at 9:00pm - so it actually reverted back to it's original format and time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kids tv show 'Knightmare' getting axed was a huge shock to me back in the day.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Does rather depend on who you ask.

Hustle springs to mind - the next series is it's last - this was a decision by the makers to end when on to.

Stargate Atlantis also ended when it was on top - it's parent show lasted 10 years - Atlantis only half that.

That was followed by Universe. Now I realise that for many people they hated Universe - partly for replacing Atlantis but also for being radically different to the two shows that preceded it. Personally while it was slow at the start - I thought it was brave of the makers to be radical - also I thought it was just getting it's stride when it ended.

What surprised me is not that SyFy cancelled it - but that MGM essentially dropped it's most lucrative TV franchise when there were still 200 odd countries buying it.

For me the fact Farscape had to be axed after year 4 of a 5 year ongoing plot was a massive blow, especially as it was in favour of yet more bloody Stargate, which at that point was just being Star Trek lite.
    Bringing in the original actors from Stargate over the Farscape didn't really change anything
    RIPLEY75 wrote: »
    The kids tv show 'Knightmare' getting axed was a huge shock to me back in the day.

Reboot too, if anyone remembers that, only one episode before Bob came back...arghhh!!

Quite shocked when they stopped making Robot Wars, imagine how amazing some of those robots would be now if they still had the TV show to inspire their evolution!

Going back a bit now, "Police Squad!" (In color!) was annoyingly axed after only 6 episodes due to being too clever for the average American audience, or so NBC said.
    Crying shame!
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say Brookside. Sure, it had become dreadful (and I was one of the many who had tuned out) by the end, but it WAS one of the soap powerhouses in its day and one just always assumes that no matter how crappy they get (Eastenders, you've sunk pretty low in your time), they're somehow untouchable and will just get retooled or rebooted rather than axed.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pushing Daisies. I was gutted and surprised in some ways that was axed.

PJ
  • Options
    Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pulling - brilliantly funny.

Still gutted it was axed. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite shocked when they stopped making Robot Wars, imagine how amazing some of those robots would be now if they still had the TV show to inspire their evolution!

It was the death knell for Robot Wars when it went to channel 5.Though,i did hear that the reason they stopped making it was something to do with 'health and safety'
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    RIPLEY75 wrote: »
    It was the death knell for Robot Wars when it went to channel 5.Though,i did hear that the reason they stopped making it was something to do with 'health and safety'

Robot Wars was a victim of its own success really.
    I saw various complaints from the makers of the "star" Robots that they were more and more in demand, and basically as amateurs not paid very much.
    They mostly had full-time jobs and gave up their holidays to film the TV shows.
    I think they also got fed up with their pride and joy machines getting smashed up by the House Robots. Some of the robots costs thousands and any small malfunction meant they couldn't compete, so presumably no appearance fee.

Health & Safety was also an issue as the machines were getting stronger and deadlier towards the end. We went to the Channel 5 tapings, and one robot threw another right out of the arena in front of us, and it hit the plexi-glass side wall still in it's way UP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Robot Wars was a victim of its own success really.
    I saw various complaints from the makers of the "star" Robots that they were more and more in demand, and basically as amateurs not paid very much.
    They mostly had full-time jobs and gave up their holidays to film the TV shows.
    I think they also got fed up with their pride and joy machines getting smashed up by the House Robots. Some of the robots costs thousands and any small malfunction meant they couldn't compete, so presumably no appearance fee.

Health & Safety was also an issue as the machines were getting stronger and deadlier towards the end. We went to the Channel 5 tapings, and one robot threw another right out of the arena in front of us, and it hit the plexi-glass side wall still in it's way UP.

I was a big fan of the 'Razer' robot,and as a viewer i was angered when during one of the grand finals,a robot altered its build so that razers weapon would be innefective. It totally ruined the series for me.Allowing modifications like that should have been against the rules.
  • Options
    The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Lie to Me, was gutted when it was axed
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Invasion. Great cast and could have really gone somewhere if ABC didn't cancel it after the 1st series. US networks are just too bloody fickle if you ask me.