Is Simon Cowell Too Lauded?

2»

Comments

• broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    True, but that did only get him to the post room and his Dad was in the property division, not music. He soon left to start his own label (which eventually went bust). He's made it, lost it, then made it again on an even bigger scale, so i admire his work ethic.

It was dads contacts which enabled him to start his own label.

Simon Cowell when he started was a breath of fresh air both on pop idol and American idol. No one had seen anyone quite as sharp, critical and funny as him before. I used to look forward to his insults each show and he did have a eye for talent.

But it all seem to go wrong with X Factor

Probably because he was king. He had power over the edit, content, performers, judges..everything. And he has sort of abused it. The series before he left was obviously corrupt and favoured him and Cheryl. Peoples songs were altered, line ups were altered and certainly the edits were altered in his favour.

It became obvious. It was becoming corrupt. Plus stories of how he treats his staff sacking them at a moments notice means he has turned into some sort of demagogue. Your not even safe if you are young and pretty.

With BGT strugglind and American X Factor struggling I cant help thinking he is begining to crack.

A shame because I really liked him at the start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Ye i don't like him and dont understand why the media over here make him out to be some sort of god "THE MOST POWERFUL MAN IN MUSIC"

I heard his only signed 1 person in years and years who wasn't part of his tv show

And people forget the talent show idea wasn't even his, He just took the idea and made some changes
  • GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    Risking what? Sorry being nosey here lol!

Coming on a "tabloid site" where people discuss things like
    the ball-bag Simon Cowell (sometimes in good way)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Aye. He's got way too much money. Share the wealth Simon!:p

You don't have to be a neo-Communist to think that someone who spends £150,000 a year on flowers has too much money.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With reference to a man being with plenty of women so there for not gay... I'd like to add 2 words .. MICHAEL BARRYMORE
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An arrogant, vindictive, mysonogystic manipulater who is vain, self centred and needs to be brought down to his rightful level. He has no regard for anyone but himself and his surrounding sycophants.:cool:
    I'm glad his programmes are losing viewers and glad he's getting a lot of stick now in the tabloids.
    Hopefully his reign on the music business and TV has run its course and is coming to an end.
  • AJ3AJ3 Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a ledge, doing girls for the fun of it haha what a lad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was dads contacts which enabled him to start his own label.

Simon Cowell when he started was a breath of fresh air both on pop idol and American idol. No one had seen anyone quite as sharp, critical and funny as him before. I used to look forward to his insults each show and he did have a eye for talent.

But it all seem to go wrong with X Factor

Probably because he was king. He had power over the edit, content, performers, judges..everything. And he has sort of abused it. The series before he left was obviously corrupt and favoured him and Cheryl. Peoples songs were altered, line ups were altered and certainly the edits were altered in his favour.

It became obvious. It was becoming corrupt. Plus stories of how he treats his staff sacking them at a moments notice means he has turned into some sort of demagogue. Your not even safe if you are young and pretty.

With BGT strugglind and American X Factor struggling I cant help thinking he is begining to crack.

A shame because I really liked him at the start.

I'm a big fan, but happy to admit and agree with you on most points. I think he wasn't so TV savvy in the Pop Idol days and just treated it from an A&R perspective, so we got an unaffected Simon. Now he tries to fulfill the role of judge/entertainer/producer and yes, manipulator, and it's hard not to come unstuck when you are that controlling. I think his years of dominance are over, but i'm enjoying his personality on this years BGT.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan, but happy to admit and agree with you on most points. I think he wasn't so TV savvy in the Pop Idol days and just treated it from an A&R perspective, so we got an unaffected Simon. Now he tries to fulfill the role of judge/entertainer/producer and yes, manipulator, and it's hard not to come unstuck when you are that controlling. I think his years of dominance are over, but i'm enjoying his personality on this years BGT.

Yeah, I liked him on Pop Idol. It's a shame because whatever happens now there's no going back to that. It's too late. He'll never just be that A&R man again. I think Gareth Gates losing that final was the start of it in a way - he had absolutely no control over it.

I think that's one of the problems - he goes on and on about 'trusting the public' but he clearly doesn't.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has a long list of achievements attached to his name and has ammassed a lot of wealth. I find that admirable.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    He has a long list of achievements attached to his name and has ammassed a lot of wealth. I find that admirable.

For its own sake?
    There are many ways which that can be done and some of them are more admirable than others.

I'm not knocking SC for that, he seems a hard worker.
  • BReal2BReal2 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's extremely overrated imo.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I used to enjoy his cutting quips back in the day when it was all fresh and new but those days are gone. I can barely watch BGT, just seems pointless, whoever will win and then what a few months of success and then back to normality, just seems a bit pointless. I think I have become a bit cynical on him and his programmes after seeing various delighted x factor winners come to nothing & getting dropped just all seems a bit mean. I hope the voice doesn't end up that way and am looking forward to this weekend Sat/sun show and no annoying ad breaks just pure viewing time. I'm also struggling to believe Simon and Danni had some affair, in his hetrosexual dreams maybe!!
  • rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Don't you think his father's money or contacts helped him to start his own label?

what so just because you think that his father may have gave him money it didn't take him any hard work what so ever and everything came extremely easy after that?... he has worked extremely hard to get where he is today and i think he has achieved so much in a decade and no one can take that away from him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »

Would you describe yourself as a rather shallow person? Or rather would other people?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,537
    Forum Member
    It's fascinating to see how the king/queen of spin seems to have lost control of events - happens to all celebs sooner or later in the new digital age I guess.
  • Ashford SteveAshford Steve Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liloleme wrote: »
    Who said he was gay? :confused:
    I dunno, but whenever I see him I think 'how many bulls have expired in the stitching of those leather trousers?'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I used to enjoy his cutting quips back in the day when it was all fresh and new but those days are gone. I can barely watch BGT, just seems pointless, whoever will win and then what a few months of success and then back to normality, just seems a bit pointless. I think I have become a bit cynical on him and his programmes after seeing various delighted x factor winners come to nothing & getting dropped just all seems a bit mean. I hope the voice doesn't end up that way and am looking forward to this weekend Sat/sun show and no annoying ad breaks just pure viewing time. I'm also struggling to believe Simon and Danni had some affair, in his hetrosexual dreams maybe!!

This! Spot on describes how I now feel about Mr Smarm.