Options

Simon Cowell angry with Cheryl Cole.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    They take a swipe at Cheryl every chance they get. Cheryl is keeping quiet and Dannii isn't. This is of course, assuming it was Dannii who spoke of anything happening between her and Cowell.

True.
    Another thing I like about Cheryl is that unlike the odious Sharon Osborne, who I used to like by the way, she has kept her counsel about the whole Danni and Simon fling. Sharon just couldn't resist sticking her oar in could she?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    True.
    Another thing I like about Cheryl is that unlike the odious Sharon Osborne, who I used to like by the way, she has kept her counsel about the whole Danni and Simon fling. Sharon just couldn't resist sticking her oar in could she?

Sharon was asked to comment on this story and she did :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    sofan wrote: »

True, but she could have said no comment or that its nothing to do with her and rise above it. It would have shown her in a new light. As someone who has moved on and is mature.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you wrote: »
    Dannii fans burying their heads in the sand once again, at least Cheryl didn't need to sleep with Simon to get her job like Dannii did! :cool:

Nobody truly knows what happens behind the scenes. I laugh at the way people keep saying 'Cheryl wouldn't have done x, y z' and the same with Dannii. We don't know these people - we only know what's fed to us.

And as for the quote above - although it was only gossip - there was a blind item pre-sacking which many read as *suggesting* otherwise. And that was on an American site - obviously many blinds are a load of rubbish and you could argue it was about anyone, but the point I'm making is, nobody knows a thing.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    Unlike Dannii, Cheryl's far too classy to touch the old man.

In what world can someone with a criminal record that was married to Ashley Cole is anywhere near classy???? Simon Cowell would be an upgrade.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given what has been said in the book (summary below) and to the press lately, it doesn't seem like he's annoyed at Cheryl. Negotiations to get her back on the UK show seemed to start off OK - she had been open to the idea since it was first brought up after a disappointing start in Los Angeles. Bower writes that had it been anyone else, they'd have been promptly dispatched after LA. But hopeful that things would turn around, she got another chance. One of the UK Exec Producers tried to lift her spirits and after the first day, The Sun ran a headline which read "America Loves Cheryl". The team speculated that the seating arrangement was what was making her too quiet.

Sir Philip Green advised Cowell to prepare for a potential UK return and the Manchester auditions were cancelled to give her another chance in Chicago while keeping open the option of a UK return in time for the start of the Birmingham auditions. Between LA and Chicago, she was to be in Cannes. Philip Green text her to meet for a drink to discuss the situation (he too was in Cannes) but she never got back and instead her agent told him a few hours later that she couldn't meet him (Cowell was not surprised that she dodged a difficult meeting, but it reflected poorly nonetheless). Cheryl didn't do well in Chicago and after endless discussion, it seemed nobody was impressed and she wasn't looking happy to be on the show. Cowell was also getting jittery about the show as a whole. Amidst widespread indecision from the many parties involved, Cowell suggested that she be dropped from the show and return to the UK. Mike Darnell and Cecile Frot-Coutaz were more concerned about their $2m and neither enthused about the prospect of her staying.

Negotiations in the UK started well when Cowell spoke to Cheryl but hit an iceberg when will.i.am came on board - he had been an odd choice of agent for a potential US TV star given his total lack of TV experience. A difficult situation was made worse when the story hit the press. The final offer was worth nearly £4m and included an Executive Producer credit on X Factor. Will.i.am even proposed she get equity in the show - "it's not mine to give" was Cowell's reply. It didn't help that ITV weren't overly enthusiastic about bringing her back. But things took another turn when, unhappy with Nicole as a replacement and paying Cheryl $2m, the 2 US chiefs felt Cheryl should go back to XF USA. Eventually, Cowell agreed, though he wasn't thrilled with the idea and felt they were penny pinching on a mega-budget. Cheryl ignored contact from Cecile Frot-Coutaz and when will.i.am spoke to Cowell, he ranted and raved that it was some kind of plot to get the $2m back if she didn't show up. And that was the end of it.

As Nicole entered his trailer on the final night to distribute gifts to him, Darnell and Frot-Coutaz, her fate was already sealed.

EDIT: This ended up a rather longer summary than initially intended!
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    Nobody truly knows what happens behind the scenes. I laugh at the way people keep saying 'Cheryl wouldn't have done x, y z' and the same with Dannii. Nobody knows these people - we only know what's fed to us.

And as for the quote above - although it was only gossip - there was a blind item pre-sacking which many read as *suggesting* otherwise. And that was on an American site - obviously many blinds are a load of rubbish and you could argue it was about anyone, but the point I'm making is, nobody knows a thing.

Exactly. The only thing we know is what has been said in the book. Dannii hasn't commented, nor has Cheryl or in a way - Simon himself.

But I'm a little bit surprised about how shocked people are over Simon. Not much that have come out from this book so far is news to me and certainly not for those who know him like Dannii and I'm sure also Cheryl. Dannii sang 'you're so vain' to him for his 50th birthday party arranged by Jackie, they also gave him mirrors so she knows.

I just think that although he is a bit rude sometimes, very direct and selfloving, he is quite a generous guy.
    And I think this, to get back at the subject - was a generous offer.
    He could have just dismissed her and given her nothing.
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Given what has been said in the book (summary below) and to the press lately, it doesn't seem like he's annoyed at Cheryl. Negotiations to get her back on the UK show seemed to start off OK - she had been open to the idea since it was first brought up after a disappointing start in Los Angeles. Bower writes that had it been anyone else, they'd have been promptly dispatched after LA. But hopeful that things would turn around, she got another chance. One of the UK Exec Producers tried to lift her spirits and after the first day, The Sun ran a headline which read "America Loves Cheryl". The team speculated that the seating arrangement was what was making her too quiet.

Sir Philip Green advised Cowell to prepare for a potential UK return and the Manchester auditions were cancelled to give her another chance in Chicago while keeping open the option of a UK return in time for the start of the Birmingham auditions. Between LA and Chicago, she was to be in Cannes. Philip Green text her to meet for a drink to discuss the situation (he too was in Cannes) but she never got back and instead her agent told him a few hours later that she couldn't meet him (Cowell was not surprised that she dodged a difficult meeting, but it reflected poorly nonetheless). Cheryl didn't do well in Chicago and after endless discussion, it seemed nobody was impressed and she wasn't looking happy to be on the show. Cowell was also getting jittery about the show as a whole. Amidst widespread indecision from the many parties involved, Cowell suggested that she be dropped from the show and return to the UK. Mike Darnell and Cecile Frot-Coutaz were more concerned about their $2m and neither enthused about the prospect of her staying.

Negotiations in the UK started well when Cowell spoke to Cheryl but hit an iceberg when will.i.am came on board - he had been an odd choice of agent for a potential US TV star given his total lack of TV experience. A difficult situation was made worse when the story hit the press. The final offer was worth nearly £4m and included an Executive Producer credit on X Factor. Will.i.am even proposed she get equity in the show - "it's not mine to give" was Cowell's reply. It didn't help that ITV weren't overly enthusiastic about bringing her back. But things took another turn when, unhappy with Nicole as a replacement and paying Cheryl $2m, the 2 US chiefs felt Cheryl should go back to XF USA. Eventually, Cowell agreed, though he wasn't thrilled with the idea and felt they were penny pinching on a mega-budget. Cheryl ignored contact from Cecile Frot-Coutaz and when will.i.am spoke to Cowell, he ranted and raved that it was some kind of plot to get the $2m back if she didn't show up. And that was the end of it.

As Nicole entered his trailer on the final night to distribute gifts to him, Darnell and Frot-Coutaz, her fate was already sealed.

EDIT: This ended up a rather longer summary than initially intended!

Thanks for that post. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the summary
    Will.i.am even proposed she get equity in the show !

What does this mean exactly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the summary

What does this mean exactly?

Basically that she'd get a share in the ownership of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically that she'd get a share in the ownership of the show.

I know what happened to her was humilating and should have been handled better (I do feel sorry for her in that sense) - but it is surprising what they were prepared to offer her (and what she wanted in return). It's also a surprise reading that ITV weren't that keen - I guess that's due to the money they would've had to fork out?
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl did the right thing not to go running back to Simon after the X-factor USA. Shows that she has some pride and sense. She went up in my estimation for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what happened to her was humilating and should have been handled better (I do feel sorry for her in that sense) - but it is surprising what they were prepared to offer her (and what she wanted in return). It's also a surprise reading that ITV weren't that keen - I guess that's due to the money they would've had to fork out?

Peter Fincham at ITV wasn't thrilled by the idea of forking out more money for a US flop and ITV were said to be happy with the panel they had lined up (Kelly, Tulisa & Gary). They did agree to it in the end, though.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was stupid to put her on in the first place, but she was lucky to have been offered a pile of money to come back.

The pair of them are just plain boring now. She has no talent for singing and owes her sucess to her looks and an unfaithful husband. I don't buy her shock horror response to the revelation that he fancied her. Come on Cheryl luv, we all saw the flirting and giggling on the XFactor, and since most men in the UK seem to fancy her why shouldn't the sleazy, lecherous Cowell. And if he didn't fancy her would she have been there in the first place.

I agree with Max Clifford (for once) of course she played him and who can blame her, just don't pretend it is a surprise that he fancied her.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    He was stupid to put her on in the first place, but she was lucky to have been offered a pile of money to come back.

The pair of them are just plain boring now. She has no talent for singing and owes her sucess to her looks and an unfaithful husband. I don't buy her shock horror response to the revelation that he fancied her. Come on Cheryl luv, we all saw the flirting and giggling on the XFactor, and since most men in the UK seem to fancy her why shouldn't the sleazy, lecherous Cowell. And if he didn't fancy her would she have been there in the first place.

I agree with Max Clifford (for once) of course she played him and who can blame her, just don't pretend it is a surprise that he fancied her.

How many times has it been said that you shouldn't believe everything you read in the newspapers?

Cheryl has never responded to anything that has been said about the book, all the quotes about her finding him creepy are reported as coming from a friend of Cheryl, which usually means it is a load of rubbish.

And thanks for posting that summary, it is really interesting to read and if Cheryl had never changed management she would probably be still on one of the shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    rubyred25 wrote: »
    To be fair we don't know that. Simon may not be the hunk, but he has a lot of charasma. She fell for the spell. but doubt she got the job that way. I would be disapointed if she did though:eek:

Yeah but think about why else would Dannii sleep with Simon. Dannii isnt that bad looking and she could do so much better than him. She may not have slept with him to get the job, but she may have slept with him to stay in his good books or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianner wrote: »
    Yes poor baby being rescued from a convicted rough background hailed as a princess and made the biggest star i nthe U.K. To then be offered to join him on USXF despite he was the only one wanting her there and how he fought to make it work for her. To then be offered a extraordinary offer to head the British version which she would have been given credit also as a producer.

Most people who are sacked just gets sacked. Period and they move on and get over it.

I've completely lost all respect for her and this childish 'I-want-this-and-that.'
    She was only using him to get a career in America.

-applauds-

Your right, It annoys me when people go on about how tough it is for Cheryl, hello? she has a life many can only dream of. She's just a misery througn and through it would appear, ungrateful for everything.

And she has very little to no talent at all, her looks have gotten her very far.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    js911 wrote: »
    Yeah but think about why else would Dannii sleep with Simon. Dannii isnt that bad looking and she could do so much better than him. She may not have slept with him to get the job, but she may have slept with him to stay in his good books or something.

I do not see nothing particularly strange about Dannii and Simon sleeping together. She's no spring chicken and he's a very powerful guy, that has a certain allure. I remember when i was at Uni certain older teachers, that had nothing going for them looks wise but with a lots of charisma could have slept with half the girls in class. He clearly cultivates this image of demi-god in his work relations.
    Said that, I do not believe for one minute that Simon would give Dannii a job or any privileges because of it, he's first of all a ruthless businessman, if he didn't thought Dannii was good for the job he would have no problem ditching her.
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    sofan wrote: »

How about no comment, or "It's none of my business"?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about no comment, or "It's none of my business"?

Her health was at risk, she would have exploded if she had kept quiet :D
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »

So Simon fancied Cheryl, she worked for him and she smiled on TV and worked with him in a professional manner, while everybody knew, including Simon she was deeply married and would never cheat on Ashley. Not to mention she is still in her twenties and Simon is old enough to be her father. It seems that Max Clifford is blaming Cheryl for being pretty and female. What was Cheryl supposed to do? All the women that work on Simon's shows flirt and flatter his ego, including Sharon.
    He has clearly moved on to a new toy with Aleesha, while freezing out Amanda because he plays games, he wouldn't have a woman on the show that he didn't fancy and was either controversial or decorative. It is prime time tv and even in 2012, women are there to be pretty and smile before all else.
    Is Max Clifford stirring this up because Cheryl has never asked him to represent her? He does not know her at all, she isn't interested in the publicity he generates.
    The account of what happens doesn't match the footage of her on USXF where she looks like she is perfectly happy on the panel, looks natural and is engaging with people.
    Though the mention of Sir Philip Green is an even bigger reason for Cheryl to have nothing to do with this. He is real slime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be extremely wary of believing Max Clifford. His association with Cowell seems to be 99% for Clifford's own public image these days. Hence why he's in the papers and on TV again just now. But for your every day stuff, it's always "a spokeswoman for Simon Cowell/Syco said..." I'd venture a guess that Syco's in-house team spent most of last week not only putting out fires from the book, but also working around Clifford rather than with him (as he'd like to have us believe). This is just my own (somewhat educated) guesswork, of course. Maybe Max really is in charge.

As for Philip Green, his intervention seems to have been to Cheryl's benefit anyway despite her not meeting him - indeed, there's no mention of him being displeased with this, more that Cowell was disappointed though not surprised ("he knew Cheryl was unwilling to expose herself to difficult meetings"). He ensured after LA that the door remained open for her to return to the UK show should Chicago not work out and urged Cowell to take time to consider his decision.

In terms of that one video of her, it doesn't mean much. Nicole featured in several hours of footage on the UK show and was viewed as a star. Then when actually unedited... Same for last years X Factor panel and of course, Kelly Brook. Cheryl did thank Cowell for making her look good in the broadcast portions. Had she been good, there's no way Darnell and Frot-Coutaz would have allowed her to be dismissed in the first place, especially when the plan was to pay her off and move her to another Syco show.

I don't think there's any doubt that Cowell made a monumental blunder. While I think there was a sound argument for taking her over, I think it left the UK show exposed. Especially when her obvious replacement, Nicole, got carted off to the US as well (where she was never a great appointment). In the end, it's hard to see how Cheryl could have done much worse than Nicole had it been allowed to play out. At least she was "shiney and new" with a funny accent. Nicole was old news that nobody there was too interested in to start with. In the end, he lost both of them.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video just shows that the story that Cheryl was uncomfortable, not working well with Paula, looking wrong is not shown on the tape. She looks perfectly at home and very comfortable with Paula and not being next to Simon too.It was all lies to cover up Simon's games which most people saw through because he had also just manipulated Dannii, getting her off UKXF, so he could get someone younger in her place. While at the same time giving her a job in Australia, so she at least has a job and she can't speak out against him. Cheryl was used for publicity to get Nicole. The mention of Sir Philip Green makes it all even dirtier, she was right to have nothing to do with him.
    I also think that Simon is quite happy with the publicity he is getting and being written up as a womaniser, blaming the Cheryl situation on the fact that she was too pretty and said no. Whatever the relationship between Max and Simon, neither of them have ever owned Cheryl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    The video just shows that the story that Cheryl was uncomfortable, not working well with Paula, looking wrong is not shown on the tape. She looks perfectly at home and very comfortable with Paula and not being next to Simon too.It was all lies to cover up Simon's games which most people saw through because he had also just manipulated Dannii, getting her off UKXF, so he could get someone younger in her place. While at the same time giving her a job in Australia, so she at least has a job and she can't speak out against him. Cheryl was used for publicity to get Nicole. The mention of Sir Philip Green makes it all even dirtier, she was right to have nothing to do with him.
    I also think that Simon is quite happy with the publicity he is getting and being written up as a womaniser, blaming the Cheryl situation on the fact that she was too pretty and said no. Whatever the relationship between Max and Simon, neither of them have ever owned Cheryl.

Except it doesn't... at all. It's an edited account of an already edited account of a far longer period. The XFUK shows in 2010 suggested Nicole would be brilliant as a judge and yet she was awful on XFUS. Kelly Brook came across alright too in the edited clips. They could have edited the same footage to make her look useless if they wanted. But they decided not to.

Again, the book doesn't really blame Cheryl. Cowell seems to be perfectly happy with her to this day. The blame for negotiations breaking down is laid at the feet of will.i.am.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except it doesn't... at all. It's an edited account of an already edited account of a far longer period. The XFUK shows in 2010 suggested Nicole would be brilliant as a judge and yet she was awful on XFUS. Kelly Brook came across alright too in the edited clips. They could have edited the same footage to make her look useless if they wanted. But they decided not to.

Again, the book doesn't really blame Cheryl. Cowell seems to be perfectly happy with her to this day. The blame for negotiations breaking down is laid at the feet of will.i.am.

The same Will.I.Am. who just happens to be a judge on a show which is beating Simon Cowell's BGT in the ratings at the weekends much to Syco & ITV's considerable irritation, and has come across incredibly well, compared to his previous Black Eyed Peas popstar slightly aloof image.