Best British Band Ever??

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not possible to find the answer because, to some people the rolling stones maybe the best band in the world, yet to someone else it might be the Beatles. Its all down to personal taste. :roll eyes smiley:

factually it is possible to find the answer...

who is the biggest seller?
    who has most critical acclaim?
    who has been cited for 50 years as the most influencial group?

personal taste wont make 1D the best...
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very difficult, almost impossible, choice for me between the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. I finally decided to vote for the Stones as I don't like to see them trailing so far in the poll behind Queen, a band I truly detest.

As for the remaining bands in the poll, well, while I don't actually dislike the Stones Roses or Coldplay, I don't think that either is anything special, and I've always been a little baffled by the critical acclaim given to the former and the commercial success achieved by the latter.

One Direction are not really my cup of tea, and not really (strictly speaking) a band, but I suppose the OP included them in the poll as he didn't want young teenage girls and fans of the X-Factor to feel left out.

As is the case for other posters, quite a few of my all time favourite British bands have been excluded from this poll, most notably the Kinks and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we were to go with favourites, I'd also have to consider Free, who achieved were astonishing for such a young band in that day and age.

Despite the constant turmoil, they had a raw freshness, and quality seldom matched.

Bad Company emerged from them, but they were quite different, and had much more commercial success.
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we were to go with favourites, I'd also have to consider Free, who achieved were astonishing for such a young band in that day and age.

Despite the constant turmoil, they had a raw freshness, and quality seldom matched.

Bad Company emerged from them, but they were quite different, and had much more commercial success.

I had the pleasure to meet and interview Andy Fraser last year, what a nice man. He even sang a special version of All Right Now for me too. His only request was a coffee, which he added a touch of Baileys to!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the pleasure to meet and interview Andy Fraser last year, what a nice man. He even sang a special version of All Right Now for me too. His only request was a coffee, which he added a touch of Baileys to!

He played fantastic bass, and was so young when Free started out.

When you consider his bandmates were Rodgers, Kossoff and Kirke, there is no wonder they were so good. I can only imagine how good they could have been.

Pleased to hear he is still well. I know he has health issues.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll is clearly heavily biased towards the beatles. The fact Coldplay and 1D are on that list shows you it's a trollpoll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll is clearly heavily biased towards the beatles. The fact Coldplay and 1D are on that list shows you it's a trollpoll.

Well it would be, because they are the greatest band ever, in terms of greatness, whether you like them or not.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How is it biased towards any one band?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    its not possible to find the answer because, to some people the rolling stones maybe the best band in the world, yet to someone else it might be the Beatles. Its all down to personal taste. :roll eyes smiley:

The poster sees fit to get his 'rolleyes' out for you nominating The Smiths- one of the most influential bands to come out of the 80's, but not for 1D being on the list? Ooookaaay.. *resists temptation to use that bloody smilie*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its defo's Queen for me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Voted Queen for the basic reason they are the best band on the list, with the only two competitors being The Beatles and Rolling Stones.

Few reasons:
    Live performers; Easily the best live band on the list (of those not on it only Pink Floyd compete)
    Frontman; Freddie Mercury vocals vs McCartney or Jagger is a mismatch (laughably bad Jagger without his personality/songwriting does not make it in music)
    Back catalogue; More globally recognised songs
    Band members; No passengers in the band (No Ringo, No Charlie Watts). Only band ever to have all four members inducted into songwriters hall of fame.

So of those listed, its Queen, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Coldplay. The others are pap.
    Forum Member
    Seen this list of the top 50 British bands;

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, The Kinks, Yardbirds, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Dire Straits, Bee Gees, The Animals, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, The Police, Motörhead, ELO, The Hollies, Genesis, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, UB40, The Smiths, Foreigner, Status Quo, Judas Priest, Fleetwood Mac, Depeche Mode, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Roxy Music, The Jam, Eurythmics, Free, Moody Blues, The Troggs, Cream, Procol Harum, Yes, The Pretenders, New Order, Oasis, Blur, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Verve, Muse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC 17 wrote: »
    Voted Queen for the basic reason they are the best band on the list, with the only two competitors being The Beatles and Rolling Stones.

Few reasons:
    Live performers; Easily the best live band on the list (of those not only Pink Floyd compete)
    Frontman; Freddie Mercury vocals vs McCartney or Jagger is a mismatch (laughably bad Jagger without his personality/songwriting does not make it in music)
    Back catalogue; More globally recognised songs
    Band members; No passengers in the band (No Ringo, No Charlie Watts). Only band ever to have all four members inducted into songwriters hall of fame.

So of those listed, its Queen, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Coldplay. The others are pap.

More than The Beatles? I would dispute that, but this is all about opinion.
    Forum Member
    More than The Beatles? I would dispute that, but this is all about opinion.

Its touch and go, and only they could rival Queen in that category. Dont think they top them though.

Bohemian Rhapsody
    We Will Rock You
    We are the Champions
    Another One Bites the Dust

Now those are the four instantly recognisable bonifide global songs. Not sure The Beatles have that.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its touch and go, and only they could rival Queen in that category. Dont think they top them though.

Bohemian Rhapsody
    We Will Rock You
    We are the Champions

Now those are the four instantly recognisable bonifide global songs. Not sure The Beatles have that.

Well, I was feeling a bit down today and needed a laugh, and your posts have provided it.

A talented Jazz drummer like Charlie Watts called a passenger. Good Grief!

Four instantly recognisable bonefide global songs? The Beatles have forty!

Queen were perhaps the best music hall act that Britain has produced since Edwardian times, but best British band ever? You must be joking!
    Forum Member
    Forty my arse..instantly recognisable bonifide global songs. No "In my life", "eleanor rigby" etc etc.

Under Pressure (which has one of the most instanly recognisable basslines in music) i havent included.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you not?
    Forum Member
    Go ahead list them, no chaff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go ahead list them, no chaff.

I have no idea what "chaff" is, but I would say at the very least that Hey Jude, Yesterday, All You Need Is Love, She Loves You, With A Little Help From My Friends, Help! and Let It Be are a number of their songs known all over the world, as much as the aforementioned Queen songs.

Perhaps some Beatles songs would not be classed as quite so "anthemic" as the Queen ones, but I wouldn't say they're lesser-known. I'm not saying some Queen songs aren't known globally either, I just think the same point can be made for the Beatles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bohemian Rhapsody
    We Will Rock You
    We are the Champions

to quote john mc enroe "you cannot be serious!"

the beatles were a worldwide phenomenon, with many many tracks being recognised.

the only department queen were superior to the beatles was giving live performances. and that was down to freddie.
    Forum Member
    "With a little help"...is Joe Cocker (yes Beatles wrote it but its his song that is known).

Let it Be, Hey Jude are the two certainties. She Loves You, Help, and All You Need is Love are verging on it, but Yesterday im not having. Compare those to the four Queen tracks...they don't. Infact, if we were to name the top six instantly recognisable songs betwen the two bands, four would be from Queen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "With a little help"...is Joe Cocker (yes Beatles wrote it but its his song that is known).

Let it Be, Hey Jude are the two certainties. She Loves You, Help, and All You Need is Love are verging on it, but Yesterday im not having. Compare those to the four Queen tracks...they don't. Infact, if we were to name the top six instantly recognisable songs betwen the two bands, four would be from Queen.

well you are alone in that way of thinking.

theres no comparison between the beatles and queen, both in the uk and worldwide, the beatles eclipse queen by a mile.
    Forum Member
    to quote john mc enroe "you cannot be serious!"

the beatles were a worldwide phenomenon, with many many tracks being recognised.

the only department queen were superior to the beatles was giving live performances. and that was down to freddie.

Not disputing the fact The Beatles are the biggest band ever, and influenced everything that came after (including Queen, and that alone probably puts them ahead). What i have done though is focused on performance and songs, and for me there isnt a band who tops Queen on either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd call the first point debatable, I wouldn't say the Beatles version is not "known". Nevertheless, its still a Beatles song that I believe fits into the globally-know category regardless of performer.

Why are you "not having" Yesterday? To not include it in songs known all over the world mystifies me - its one of the most covered songs of all time, so whether its the Beatles' version or someone else's is immaterial to me, its still their song and its still known all around the world.

I think its best to agree to disagree with you though, you've got a belief that you're sticking to however many posters think differently and that's no bad thing necessarily.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Throbbing Gristle.

christ, i haven't seen gen since the COUM days and me mate was in the band

and thinking of the hull connection I finally got me hands on 'the who - live at hull 1970' the other day
    great performance but i can't remember much about it