Options

Best foreign language films in recent years?

13»

Comments

• Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the films I would have mentioned have been mentioned already so I'll just throw a couple more suggestions into the mix.

The Raid, has the very best end of level boss fight scene I've seen in ages. ;)

The Yellow Sea
    I Saw The Devil
    Bedevilled

And for a change of pace Castaway On The Moon, which is simply a masterpiece.
  • Options
    ChemistryChemistry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Black Book (Dutch movie). It stars stefan koch who is also in The Live of Others which people seem to like.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some foreign language films I really enjoyed:

Arabic:

Caramel

Round Trip

French:

Hors de prix
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Spirited Away
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Volver.
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »

Seconded. Very enjoyable film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    The 'Pusher' Trilogy (Danish).One of the most realistic films about drugs and the criminal underworld I've ever seen
  • Options
    jdm271541jdm271541 Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    A quality action double bill would be:

A Bittersweet Life (2005) SK (already recommended)

The Man from Nowhere (2010) SK
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amelie, but that's nearly 12 years old. :p

Soundtrack is great.

So is Life is Beautiful (if not older) but someone mentioned it!

Gianni e le donne isn't quite on the same level of "must see" as some of the others but it's still a pretty decent foreign film.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    And for a change of pace Castaway On The Moon, which is simply a masterpiece.

Seeing that listed here has totally made my day. :D

I would like to add a couple more SK films. Perhaps not the best, but highly enjoyable:

New World (2013) (crime drama/thriller) A must for anyone who enjoys films that revolve around characters trying to survive the politics and ambitions of a criminal organisation and the police

Final Recipe (2013) (drama) A school boy thrives to become a chef, just like his legendary grandfather, which catches the attention of TV producer (Michelle Yeoh) of a cookery show (think MasterChef). I might be biased here as I love watching films about food. :o Note: the film's main spoken language is English. No need for subtitles. A truly lovely little gem, imo.

Cold Eyes (2013) (tech thriller) Watch this if you enjoyed Enemy of the State, Eagle Eye and similar fast-paced surveillance films.

The Terror Live (2013) (thriller) A news anchor gets caught up with a terrorist's plot to bomb a target building, which isn't revealed until later. It's in a live news / documentary format, hence 'live' in the title.
    Note: It didn't have subtitles when I watched this. I had to rely on a colleague's crappy transcription to follow the story. In spite of this awkward set-up, I managed to find the film entertaining. :D
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I love it when a thread like this comes around. Always such a great wealth of awesome to pool from.

If you want to go old school then 'La Haine' has always been a favourite of mine. Closely followed by 'Man Bites Dog'. Both French. Both great.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    If you want to go old school then 'La Haine' has always been a favourite of mine. Closely followed by 'Man Bites Dog'. Both French. Both great.

Sorry, a little correction, but Man Bites Dog is Belgian, although it is in French. Good, even if disturbing, film.

Being late in the game, a lot of my choices have already been mentioned. I'd second (or third) Amores Perros, City of God, Pan's Labyrinth and Oldboy.

Can't remember if anyone mentioned Downfall. A really great film detailing the final days of Adolf Hitler and the siege of Berlin by the Red Army.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chemistry wrote: »
    Black Book (Dutch movie). It stars stefan koch who is also in The Live of Others which people seem to like.

Fabulous film.
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Sorry, a little correction, but Man Bites Dog is Belgian, although it is in French. Good, even if disturbing, film.

Being late in the game, a lot of my choices have already been mentioned. I'd second (or third) Amores Perros, City of God, Pan's Labyrinth and Oldboy.

Can't remember if anyone mentioned Downfall. A really great film detailing the final days of Adolf Hitler and the siege of Berlin by the Red Army.

Apology accepted but no correction needed, I meant they were both French language films. x
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great French film called "He loves me Not" that came out about 10 years ago. It had Audrey Tautou in it and had some great twists. Also a really unusual Spanish film called Intacto came out same time and was excellent
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nobody mentioned the sublime "Black Book"

a couple I got cheap from block busters a while back, among several others

The Well-Diggers Daughter (French)
    I am love (Italian)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Has anyone here seen the Korean movie Breathless? It's been on Film4 a couple of times... about a brutal debt collector who forms an unlikely friendship with a lonely schoolgirl. Violent, visceral, but quite poignant at the same time.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=gemma-the-husky;69515081]nobody mentioned the sublime "Black Book"

a couple I got cheap from block busters a while back, among several others

The Well-Diggers Daughter (French)
    I am love (Italian)[/QUOTE]

I did post #64:D

ETA I appear to have cocked up the quote.:o
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did post #64:D

ETA I appear to have cocked up the quote.:o

Yes, i noticed that just, when looking through the thread again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of other films I loved:

French:
    Un poison violent

Arabic short film:
    The Curse
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    The Lives of Others - not just the best foreign language film I've seen over the last 10 years, but possibly one of the best films I've ever seen full stop.
    A must see!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Hebrew/English/Arabic:

The Inheritance (or Héritage)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Departures
    Un Prophet
  • Options
    manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've Loved You So Long with the brilliant Kirsten Scott Thomas from 2008.