do you pretend to be offended online?

steve_brown3steve_brown3 Posts: 20
Forum Member
As the title says

Are you the sort who gets all indignant and offended online just to appear superior?

Do you puff your chest out and run for the moral high ground in an attempt to get somebody banned?

Are you pretending to be a sensitive soul who has the right to demand apologise from people?

Comments

• FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How dare you! This thread offends me!:D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think I could pull off sensitive if I tried.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've reported you to the mods and put you on ignore.
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    As the title says

Are you the sort who gets all indignant and offended online just to appear superior?

Do you puff your chest out and run for the moral high ground in an attempt to get somebody banned?

Are you pretending to be a sensitive soul who has the right to demand apologise from people?

How dare you ask us these questions, when you yourself didn't answer them >:(

I'm offended >:(
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. What would I gain by doing that?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Do you suspect this is what happened to you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    DS has been decidedly strange over the last day or so.

I suspect other forum shenanigans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like I missed the fun, and on the day that I decide to take a break, too. :(
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a handful of topics I get defensive about, but both online and in real life, I am not easily offended at all.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the title says

I want to hear from the person who not only is all these things but also knows it and is prepared to admit it.

........ haven't got all day.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, I don't get actually offended easily... but I have misused the term "offensive" a few times if I've found something particularly unpleasent. That's not to come across as superior or self righteous though, but merely for want of a better term at the time or to emphasise what I'm saying. In other words, used it flippantly.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the title says

No to all questions.

I have viewpoints, but would not want to overly impose them on anyone over the internet in a strong dogmatic way.

I would walk away from an online argument nowadays, I have only been in one full on argument online about religion.
    It can all get so dafy on threads at times between some people.
    I often wonder how they have the time and energy to keep the thread alive and kicking.

So OP, what has happened to you to make you start this thread up?
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 90% of the DS contingent is made up of fake outrage syndrome .I don't really understand it because I don't see it on other forums .They must be attracted to this site for some reason .I saw something that offended me once .I didn't do anything about it yet I live a rich and fulfilled life .
  • jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member

Funny you saying that , I've noticed an oddness now for some time.Since around Christmas roughly. I can't put my finger on it though and thought it just post Christmas 'something' . :confused:.There seem to be undercurrents and it's like something is going on that not everyone is party to.I know that doesn't make sense, even to me typing it :blush: , but I'm quite sensitive to atmospheres, even on a screen. I've had a quick look around after being on (cough cough) holiday and can't find an obvious thread where fan and poo meet. Just odd.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    janna wrote: »
    Funny you saying that , I've noticed an oddness now for some time.Since around Christmas roughly. I can't put my finger on it though and thought it just post Christmas 'something' . :confused:.There seem to be undercurrents and it's like something is going on that not everyone is party to.I know that doesn't make sense, even to me typing it :blush: , but I'm quite sensitive to atmospheres, even on a screen. I've had a quick look around after being on (cough cough) holiday and can't find an obvious thread where fan and poo meet. Just odd.

It's quiet ......... too quiet

Did you hear that? No, neither did I
  • PalafrugelPalafrugel Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think many have a reflex to act offended or confused. It is a completely natural passive aggressive reflex to them although to those who do not have this reflex, it can appear irritating and petty. I am sure they are not genuinely offended, shocked or confused - its just a habit that has been developed and purveyed in English culture by a few people. However it has stood the test of time and should not be dismissed as it has the power to troll any thread away from its original subject and lead a debate to a petty back and forth.

Doesn't matter what the thread, there is usually this post within the first couple of replies:
    I don't understand :confused:

or this:
    Why do you care? :confused:

Another common tactic often seen on these boards and many others is accusing an overreaction by someone who has just proved you wrong. So for example, if someone is wrong and someone points it out, instead of admitting the mistake or heavens forbid debating what was said, a common method of attempting to save face is..
    Why do you care so much? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    When the time comes that you are offended on what you see posted on a forum, is the time where you have invested far too much of your time and emotion and time to call it a day.

For most, forums are an escape from reality. For the afflicted, they replace reality.
  • PalafrugelPalafrugel Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely ^^

Although keep in mind - this forum phenomenon is even stranger, it is members pretending to be offended and confused to the benefit of no one but their own fetish.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pretend to not be bothered, whereas in reality I'm a seething mass of offendedness... ;-)
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What?>:(
  • Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've reported you to the mods and put you on ignore.
    I'm gonna hunt ya down you little grasser! :mad:

:D
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what are you inferring with the word "pretend"? I take that personally because it was directed at ME wasn't....ah, no. Just no. Plenty of things in reality offend me. What people I don't know on an inter web forum say? Nope. If they say stuff I really disagree with....sometimes it helps throw into sharp relief what I personally think about subjects I might not have otherwise considered much.

Like, reading what I've just written, GAWD I'm pretentious. ;-) :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    When the time comes that you are offended on what you see posted on a forum, is the time where you have invested far too much of your time and emotion and time to call it a day.

For most, forums are an escape from reality. For the afflicted, they replace reality.

Fully agree.

I've said a few times on similar threads that a forum like this, and most other such forums, are just places where we all hide behind anonymous usernames. Anyone who lets what an anonymous username on a forum says really get to them, cause major offence and get really upset should perhaps take a step back, even if it's just for half an hour away from the keyboard. It's just an anonymous forum, and no one really knows the other person behind that name as long as they haven't given too much away.
  • Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what are you inferring with the word "pretend"? I take that personally because it was directed at ME wasn't....ah, no. Just no. Plenty of things in reality offend me. What people I don't know on an inter web forum say? Nope. If they say stuff I really disagree with....sometimes it helps throw into sharp relief what I personally think about subjects I might not have otherwise considered much.

Like, reading what I've just written, GAWD I'm pretentious. ;-) :p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ujv9aEUSyQ ;)
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only in a tongue-in-cheek way.