Maria Miller Quits

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Culture and media secretary Maria Miller has resigned over her expenses controversy.

www.bbc.co.uk/news

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or to put it another way, victory for the media over Leveson.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Well, she's my MP, and is utterly useless, not interested in the constituency, even before she became Culture Secretary. Oh and from here to Westminster by train, is more or less an hour (we're a commuter town FFS) so quite why she needed to claim for a second home at all is another matter that's not been explored.

Good Riddance, I won't be voting for her next May (I didn't in 2010).
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the important question is who next for the DCMS post? And what effect might that have on broadcasting in the UK going forward?
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So the important question is who next for the DCMS post? And what effect might that have on broadcasting in the UK going forward?

It's bound to be another woman, and it's bound to be Esther Mcvey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Esther McVey would be my guess. She's woman, northerner (so ticks the right boxes) and she used to be on a telly so she surely has to be an expert on the media. At least she can't know less about it than Miller.
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She shouldnt have been allowed to resign, she should have been sacked and prosecuted, just like normal people are who make "mistakes"
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Well, she's my MP, and is utterly useless, not interested in the constituency, even before she became Culture Secretary. Oh and from here to Westminster by train, is more or less an hour (we're a commuter town FFS) so quite why she needed to claim for a second home at all is another matter that's not been explored.

Sadly though you would well know that you could have a chimp wearing a blue rosette and they would win in Basingstoke.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to PMQ's today.

Should be lively and interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if one of Milliband's questions will be along the lines of "Is the Prime Minister going to give his warm support to any other Cabinet ministers?"
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly though you would well know that you could have a chimp wearing a blue rosette and they would win in Basingstoke.

:D Twas ever thus
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and hypocritical

no MP is whiter than white regards expenses
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For James Naughtie's sake, it had better not be Jeremy Hunt again.

It's either going to be a woman, or a man already in the cabinet whose old job will go to a woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if one of Milliband's questions will be along the lines of "Is the Prime Minister going to give his warm support to any other Cabinet ministers?"

And the answer will be "the honourable gentleman is doing an excellent job as leader of the opposition. I hope he stops in that position for years to come."
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it to Rob Wilson please.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More than likely if Miliband has not had his out-of-date chip reprogrammed will be "when will Maria Miller quit"
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not rule out Helen Grant to replace Maria
  • TomM44TomM44 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Esther McVey would be my guess. She's woman, northerner (so ticks the right boxes) and she used to be on a telly so she surely has to be an expert on the media. At least she can't know less about it than Miller.
    McVile betrayed her Merseyside roots in defending the Bedroom Tax with its attacks on the disabled and poor,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morgsie wrote: »
    I would not rule out Helen Grant to replace Maria

Ah, the Sports Minister who couldn't answer a single question about sport

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sport-minister-helen-grant-scores-a-duck-in-tv-quiz-8963319.html
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    Ed Vaisey I would guess at, he's been a journalist, regular broadcaster and has been in the department before
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    They have installed a party robot. Sajid Javid is the new secretary. Great...have to see more of him on TV.

Just a constant repeater of government policy with no deviation.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange how when these cheats make a ''mistake'' it always goes in their favour, they never seem to make the ''mistake'' of under charging on their expenses.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »

Indeed. When I lived in Surbiton, I often got the Basingstoke train home from London. It was a right good fast one, with Surbiton as its first stop.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not wanting to defend her but yes I say yes it was revenge time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    Not wanting to defend her but yes I say yes it was revenge time.

And didn't she and her SPAD play into their hands.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her supporters kept saying she was innocent and did no wrong. In which case why did she agree to repay a small proportion of the money ? Surely an admission of guilt ?