Options

Dawn of The Planet of The Apes

123457»

Comments

• Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that would have redeemed an otherwise pretty god awful film.

Apart form the admittedly good CGI (not all though I thought the baby was terrible) it was an utter chore to sit through and I begrudge paying nearly £20 for two of us to be bored ridged for 2 hours.

I really enjoyed the first film, and the original version of this film (Battle For) is actually my favourite of the original series so I did have high hopes. But the characters were bland, one dimensional cliches and the plot tired, obvious and dull.

While I wasn't expecting huge scientific accuracy after the first film where they got genetic and in-vitro transmission mixed up, I found the casual disregard of any kind of accuracy jarring at times. I was thinking more about how the hell the kept the horses so healthy & well groomed and how they got the bridle on them than about the plot at times. The virus has obviously not just increased the apes intelligence enough to be experts in equine husbandry (though not enough to realise that humans are apes too, or that sign language is useless for anyone sitting behind you) and gave them speech but has eradicated their natural behaviours such as social grooming and made them walk on two legs - something that is very unnatural to Chimps etc. And obviously no-one on the production team has seen a Chimp ride a horse before.

I'm not sure the rest of a rather crowed cinema were particularly impressed either. There was a lot of laughing at inappropriate times and there was even a bit of a cheer
    when Oldman blew up the tower. With some audible groans when the chimps didn't all die

All in all, it was trying to be too clever by half and ended up dumb. It almost made me want to give a chimp a cigarette & stick electrodes in its brains.

But still not as bad as the Kellen Lutz Hercules.
    I thought there was something wrong with me or I'd unknowingly slept through 2/3 of the film . I thought it was as bad if not worse than a Transformers movie .
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Doesn't that render it pointless?
    No. 3D is similar to surround sound or CGI or even colour. None of it should distract from the film.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    No. 3D is similar to surround sound or CGI or even colour. None of it should distract from the film.

I generally agree and approve of such feelings, but have we reached the point where any 3D, no matter how subtly done, isn't noticeable by its very nature of being different to the mainstream 2D? We're still in the dawn period (yet another) of its usage, a dawn that seems to be very drawn out (forgive puns). Maybe if 3D becomes ubiquitous, then its subtle use won't stand out and distract as much, but we're not there yet. The thing is that change has to be noticed before it becomes familiar; its essence is difference. Even natural things like sound had a short period where it was the big talking point while the silent era quickly died away. If its naturalness wasn't noticed to begin with, then maybe The Artist would be today's standard fare. ;)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    went into this film worried it wouldnt live up to the brilliant first one because of change of director and no james franco, i needent have worried.

the new director did great, i loved the scene where koba is on the tank spinning around and also the final fight scene was well done.

james franco wasnt required for the story but i did love the cameo for camera footage, did he come back for that or was it from the first films outtakes anyone know?

loved the apes and how they are progressing, relationship between cesar/koba/cesars son was just brilliant. also love how rocket is now loyal after being a bully in rise! and who dont love maurice?

magnificent flm!
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it an enjoyable film even though the plot was weak. (Watched it in 3D)

The ending gave a hint of a possible sequel. Not sure if anybody else noticed this.
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this at the weekend - It was brill! Loved it and Ceaser!
  • Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About bloody time!
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    bob187 wrote: »
    About bloody time!

LOL - it's being shown tomorrow, as Odeon's "Senior Screen" on Wednesdays at 11:00. That's for anyone who missed it.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there supposed to be subtitles when the apes use sign language?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there supposed to be subtitles when the apes use sign language?

Yes, looks like you'll need to add these manually.
    You'll lose a bit of plot if you haven't got them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, looks like you'll need to add these manually.
    You'll lose a bit of plot if you haven't got them.

Oh cheers, I thought they were missing.

My tv can't play srt files, so I'll have to watch on the laptop with VLC.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if there were no copies with hardcoded subs floating about.
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night and I loved it. Being a massive fan of the original films I think they have done a great job in rebooting this.
    Was rooting for the Apes and thought Ceasar was excellent. Disappointed that Koba turned out the way he did although I guess it wasn't unexpected.

Great film...will watch again :)
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read one review on Amazon which said the CGI on Tim Burton's version was more realistic. Not sure what planet that person is on because the CGI on this about as close to real as you can get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Read one review on Amazon which said the CGI on Tim Burton's version was more realistic. Not sure what planet that person is on because the CGI on this about as close to real as you can get.

Maybe they were being ironic - the apes in Tim Burton's version were costumed actors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they were being ironic - the apes in Tim Burton's version were costumed actors.
    This is the review. Does it sound like he's been ironic?

mediocre at a push. sorry but cgi will never be convincing.despite a lot of effort going into this film,the emotions it is supposed to give us are on par with a good cartoon.it lacks any sci fi mood,and nor is it an action movie.im amazed at the good reviews.just watch the original planet of the apes or the tim burton one-both superior in every way to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    This is the review. Does it sound like he's been ironic?

mediocre at a push. sorry but cgi will never be convincing.despite a lot of effort going into this film,the emotions it is supposed to give us are on par with a good cartoon.it lacks any sci fi mood,and nor is it an action movie.im amazed at the good reviews.just watch the original planet of the apes or the tim burton one-both superior in every way to this.

Doesn't sound like it is comparing the CGI, just saying that the apes look more realistic in the first film and the Tim Burton film compared to the Dawn film.

Sounds like the person doesn't know what they are talking about as both versions clearly look like humans in costumes compared to Dawn.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night and enjoyed it. It was a bit predictable and there were some bits that needed tightening up, but Ceaser really steals the show for me. I love how they play him as a mythical leader, and how the play on the ape society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this today on bluray in 3D and for me the 3D looked far better than when I saw it at the cinema. Picture was awesome as well. Can't remember if there was a scene after the credits about koba maybe being alive. Certainly wasn't on the bluray.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I can remember I think you just hear breathing when the film ends?