Only 1.5% gay!

MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
Forum Member
According to this BBC link. That surprised me.

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if you add the other 3% that didn't know .... :eek: :D
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    If you watch the BBC, you'd think it was closer to 50%.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    If you watch the BBC, you'd think it was closer to 50%.

If we listened to you, we'd think it was 90%.
  • 44444444 Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember being asked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the lowest number in NI mean that they have all left and moved to London? :D
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Well if you add the other 3% that didn't know .... :eek: :D

I must admit that is a puzzle. I am aware of my own sexual orientation, I would never reply 'don't know'. None of your business,possibly:D
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Then they are WAY over represented on these forums.

Some of you will have to go I'm afriad!
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    The survey of course will miss out people who are in the closet or lied on the survey.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what percentage of the population make stuff up for surveys? :D
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    I wonder what percentage of the population make stuff up for surveys? :D

I know I do :D
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    The survey of course will miss out people who are in the closet or lied on the survey.

Of course. They can't have polled people at the BBC can they, they are not so shy:p. However, I think it tends to blow the 10% myth out of the water. Surely in this day and age, 8.5% would not be in denial/in the closet, would they?
    Forum Member
    I know I do :D

I wonder if they allow any discretion by the interviewer? They question someone dressed like some character from 'Priscilla' and he replies, 'Straight as a die, dearie':D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Of course. They can't have polled people at the BBC can they, they are not so shy:p. However, I think it tends to blow the 10% myth out of the water. Surely in this day and age, 8.5% would not be in denial/in the closet, would they?

I wouldn't have thought so.

And yet...

It just seems really low! Did they interview a lot of people in the Western Isles or something?
    Forum Member

I'd guess that if you took a realistic figure, including people who are gay but are lying or in the closet about it then it would be about 8% I reckon in the UK as a whole. Regional variations would give places like London, Brighton, and Manchester a bigger gay population. Major cities tend to have a larger "out" gay population than Little-Backwater-on-the-Stow, Nowhereshire.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I was involved in a discussion about this a while back and the figures can be quite dubious.

People claim that as much as 10% of the population is gay and usually base that on a particular survey.
    That survey includes questions like "Have you ever participated in a sexual activity with a person of the same sex?"

Now, thing is, plenty of straight people get involved with stuff that might see them involved in a sex act with a member of the same sex.
    Threesomes, fetish clubs, swingers and, if we're honest, some of the stuff you did as a kid probably all bring you into sexual contact with a person of the same sex.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd guess that if you took a realistic figure, including people who are gay but are lying or in the closet about it then it would be about 8% I reckon in the UK as a whole. Regional variations would give places like London, Brighton, and Manchester a bigger gay population. Major cities tend to have a larger "out" gay population than Little-Backwater-on-the-Stow, Nowhereshire.

I agree, this survey is absolute nonsense. There is no way such a tiny proportion of the population is actually gay.

I think the number of suppressed bisexuals is quite high. If you are bisexual you may as well suppress the homosexual urges since you still have the heterosexual ones, if you live in an area where there is still a taboo surrounding sexuality.

This survey is simply indicative of how far this country has to go before people can openly admit to the world (and themselves) who they are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they allow any discretion by the interviewer? They question someone dressed like some character from 'Priscilla' and he replies, 'Straight as a die, dearie':D

Just because you dress as a woman doesn't make you gay ;)

I'd have thought most people who didn't think it was anyone else's business who only have the option of replying don't know rather than 'mind your neb'
    Forum Member
    I think straights are discriminated against within the BBC. There should be a quota to ensure that 98.5% of their employees are straight, this might also improve the standard of programming.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I think straights are discriminated against within the BBC. There should be a quota to ensure that 98.5% of their employees are straight, this might also improve the standard of programming.

I'd rather they just hired the best people for the job regardless of their sexuality. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey, Snakesy! Are you really going to be a teacher soon?
    Forum Member

Having worked for the BBC I'd say the majority of their staff are heterosexual. On the whole you get more homosexual people working media than say in car manufacturing, but it would still be majority heterosexual.

And are you saying gay people don't make very good television programmes? How do you know which ones are made by gay people? I've never seen anything on the end credits saying "This is a gay production".
  • Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds about right

and of that 1.5% 90% work in tv?
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I find the figure hard to believe.

I recall, back in the earliest days of safe sex leaflets, how a print run aimed at gay men in Islington used all 100,000 copies inside of a couple of weeks, before the police seized the printing proofs under the Obscene Publications Act before a second print run.

Later on other surveys suggested there was a quarter million gay men in London, and yet the BBC suggests there's less than double that throughout the whole of the UK.

The next Census was going to feature a question about sexual orientation, but in trials the results were found to be meaningless because a high number of people reacted strongly to being asked (and the interviewers were embarrassed to be made to ask), and respondents fought shy of answering such a personal question (which also provided an 'other' option). I dare say the same applies to the BBC survey.

I would have thought around 5% of adults were gay, and would also imagine that there's far more bisexuals than gay.
    Forum Member
    We can only hope so.
    Having worked for the BBC I'd say the majority of their staff are heterosexual. On the whole you get more homosexual people working media than say in car manufacturing, but it would still be majority heterosexual.

And are you saying gay people don't make very good television programmes? How do you know which ones are made by gay people? I've never seen anything on the end credits saying "This is a gay production".
    It might explain why there are so few programmes around nowadays that appeal predominantly to straight men.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I doubt they are really that desperate for teachers.