How important are food brands to you?

SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got some Co-Ops own wotsits the other day, big bag for 50p, they tasted awful, not enough cheese but to much puff.

Today i bought some normal wotsits the 'proper' brand, they were 36p for a smaller bag than coops own but they tasted better...

im a big stickler for brands and i always like to enjoy good food, what about you? You will never find me in a Lidl or an Aldi

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not overly fussy about brands as such but if I prefer the taste of a certain brand to another I'll be more likely to buy the brand I like but for a lot of things I can't taste much difference. Jaffa cakes are one thing I'm fussy with though, I'm not too keen on mcvities variety for some reason and would much rather search for the M&S own brand ( don't usually shop there but ended up with a £20 voucher for there at christmas) or the tesco own brand.
  • SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh totally agree i prefer the M&S Jaffas as well =D haha love those, always get the offer for 2 packs for so much
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh totally agree i prefer the M&S Jaffas as well =D haha love those, always get the offer for 2 packs for so much

Yay I'm not alone. I don't like buying them when they're not on offer, they're a tad pricey for what they are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to be honest and admit that I am a bit of a brand freak:D

I have to have the well known top quality brands, and cannot compromise... Many times people have tried to convince me that the products they buy, that are own brand or value labels are just as good, and when they've given them to me to try, they have been disgusting. I'd never change from the well known brands as I know what I'm getting, cheap stuff would end up binned, and that would be false economy ;)
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care for brands but I do care for quality. If something isn't up to scratch I don't buy it again.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member

Another vote for the M&S Jaffa cakes - they really are divine :D

I'm a big stickler for brands generally as higher priced stuff does usually taste better obviously if a cheaper brand was nicer I'd get that but that rarely happens (though I do quite like Sainsbury's basic tortillas)

Also things like bananas and potatoes, you might as well buy the cheapest as with natural things, there's very little difference (well not enough to justify a higher price)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't go for brand. I go for price/quality balance. If it so happens to be in the bigger brand's favour, then I'm more inclined to go for that. I feel that Sainsbury's have a good balance in their mid-tier products.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care about brands. I care more about the ingredients. Too many brands have crazy sugar content.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got some Co-Ops own wotsits the other day, big bag for 50p, they tasted awful, not enough cheese but to much puff.

Today i bought some normal wotsits the 'proper' brand, they were 36p for a smaller bag than coops own but they tasted better...

im a big stickler for brands and i always like to enjoy good food, what about you? You will never find me in a Lidl or an Aldi

You can't expect people to take you seriously about liking good food if your point of reference is blinkin' WOTSITS!!! :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It is quality I go for. I can't say I am too fussed about branded products when the local supermarket ones are the same or better.
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all.
    It's the same stuff in different packaging. Take milk for example. four pints in sainsburys will cost £1.50. Four pints in Lidl costs £1.00. Al you're doing is paying extra for a label. As the old saying goes. A fool and his money are soon parted.
  • SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing i do like is dirt cheap crumpets... id buy a pack of 6 for 50p from Tesco any day lol, that being said that is the only thing i will buy which is cheap
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brand doesn't really count when you're cooking everything from scratch. A bag of Aldi pasta or rice is just as good as any leading brand, the same can be said for spices, fruit and veg and numerous other cooking items.

The majority of my hygiene items are another matter.

Edit, I do have a preference when choosing bagels, New York bakery ones are the best.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bothered. Whichever's the cheapest.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I used to do my main shop at Sainsbury's I didn't mind most of their own branded products and to this day their Red Label teabags along with Twinings and Yorkshire Tea are the only tea I'll drink.

But now I've switched to Morrisons ( I much prefer their meat/fruit/veg/bakery to Sainsbury's ) I've found I buy more branded products because there are very few Morrisons own brands that I like.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We eat mainly fresh food, so brands barely register.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We always go for Heinz beans, soup,tomato sauce and spaghetti.

All other supermarket brands are fair game. If they taste OK buy again.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brands differ from country to country. Much of what appears on the shelves in Lidl or Aldi could well be main brands from the continent.

I shop in Aldi from time to time - and have always found their food to be of excellent quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Brands differ from country to country. Much of what appears on the shelves in Lidl or Aldi could well be main brands from the continent.

I shop in Aldi from time to time - and have always found their food to be of excellent quality.

Lidl for sweetcorn and tinned tomatoes same brand as we get in the supermarket but cheaper. We take the whole crate thing, bulk buying all the way (never know when we're going to be snowed in during winter these days and on that day I shall survive on tomato and sweetcorn pasta :p)
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My idea of hell would be opening my cupboard and seeing all value range labels staring back at me.
    When it comes to food I am a snob as I wouldn't eat some of the muck that supermarkets call food.
    Don't get me wrong I don't buy everyting from M and S but with grub you do get what you pay for.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    I don't buy everyting from M and S but with grub you do get what you pay for.

Not in all cases.

Fruit and veg is one example. £2 for a califlower in Sainsbury. £1.20 for one twice the size in our local fruit and veg shop - and a lot tastier.

Its also quite telling that in some blind taste tests - Aldi stuff actually beats the likes of M&S hands down (as demonstrated in one of Rick Steins programes)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My idea of hell would be opening my cupboard and seeing all value range labels staring back at me.
    When it comes to food I am a snob as I wouldn't eat some of the muck that supermarkets call food.
    Don't get me wrong I don't buy everyting from M and S but with grub you do get what you pay for.

Very true but sometimes you find some own brand things that are worth having, waitrose essential ginger nuts are yummy but might not be to everybodys taste because I don't like ginger too strong and I made my point earlier about Jaffa cakes... People are really going to think all I do is eat cake and biscuits at thins rate >.>
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Our cupboard contains pots and pans. We store our food in the fridge and vegetable rack.
    Sorry, forgot about our homemade jams. We don't buy factory food.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Not in all cases.

Fruit and veg is one example. £2 for a califlower in Sainsbury. £1.20 for one twice the size in our local fruit and veg shop - and a lot tastier.

I buy all meat from the butchers and the vast majority of fruit and veg in my local greengrocers.

Eggs I get delivered and are free range. How anyone would eat a battery egg is beyond me.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it depends on the food. Baked beans tend to taste better if they are from Heinz or Branston, and I don't like the taste of the store brands as much. Peas on the other hand taste the same regardless of what the packaging says.