advice please - wireless router lost internet 24 hours ago

ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive been using a tp link wireless router for quite a while, using bt broadband as my isp.

In the past I have had the occasional incident where I have lost internet connection from the router. Sometimes switching it off and on has worked. other times it hasnt worked but after a while service has resumed so i have assumed the problem was with my isp.

yesterday morning I lost internet (no light on router) and switching it off completeley did not work - 3 times. I still have no connection 24 hours later. My laptops are all affected, they can print to our wireless printter via the router.

question is - what steps can I now take to try to remedy the fault - I dont know if its with the router or bt.

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good starting point would probably be to check if the associated phone is working.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Albert, yes I checked and the phone works
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are steps you can take to track down the fault.

Firstly do you have a phone plugged into the filter with the router? Does that work OK or not?

If you have an NTE5 type master socket with the two part faceplate remove the lower section to reveal the test socket. Plug the router into the test socket. If possible try it with more than one filter, always possible the filter you are using is dead.

The test socket connects direct to the incoming line and isolates any extension wiring you may have. If it works fine in the test socket then it could be a fault with an extension. Either the cable to the extension or something plugged into an extension.

If it is the extension wiring then reassemble the master socket and plug the router back in the front. Follow all the extension cables and inspect for damage. If none can be found unplug everything and then test again. If you get an internet signal then that implies something plugged into an extension is causing the problem. So plug things back one at a time until you find the culprit. Once found try it with a filter from one of the devices that did not cause problems just to work out if it is a filter or the device itself causing the issue.

If there is damage to the cable then you will more than likely have to replace the cable run. Or if it goes to an unused extension simply disconnect the cable from the back of the removable section of the master socket faceplate.

Things get more complicated if the router does not work on the test socket at all. If you try different filters to no effect then you have to suspect the router or the cable from router to filter. The only way to work out where the problem is is by substitution. So to do this you need another router and another phone line cable. If you can lay your hands on both then firstly try the cable. If that doesn't work try the router. It doesn't matter if the substitute router is set up for a different ISP it should still indicate the presence of an ADSL signal.

If a substitute router does not work either then just to be certain try your router on another line that you know works. If it works there then you can be fairly certain you have a line problem. So a call to BT is in order.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plug your homehub in and see if that works
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    What about ringing BT broadband support?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris / sack, thanks. I dont have a home hub or an nte5 test socket.

I have a filter plugged into the phone socket with the router and phone plugged in. The phone works ok.

maybe i should try removing the filter and phone connections and plug the router straight into the faceplate? that will remove the filter from the equation ... I know the outside phone line is ok because i can use the phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vangeezer wrote: »

yes I might well do that, I just want to make sure theres nothing else i can do before that, in case the problem is wit the router or its connection to the outside
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    chris / sack, thanks. I dont have a home hub or an nte5 test socket.

I have a filter plugged into the phone socket with the router and phone plugged in. The phone works ok.

maybe i should try removing the filter and phone connections and plug the router straight into the faceplate? that will remove the filter from the equation ... I know the outside phone line is ok because i can use the phone.
    Good luck plugging an RJ11 plug into a BT phone socket :) You can get adapter plugs, often called US to UK adapters as the US use RJ11 on their phones.

Are you sure there is no NTE5 master socket in the house anywhere. Not impossible but they have been standard fit for a number of years now. Just in case there is any doubt this image shows an NTE5 with the faceplate section removed and the test socket visible on the main body of the socket.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/BT_NTE5.JPG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Good luck plugging an RJ11 plug into a BT phone socket :) You can get adapter plugs, often called US to UK adapters as the US use RJ11 on their phones.

Are you sure there is no NTE5 master socket in the house anywhere. Not impossible but they have been standard fit for a number of years now. Just in case there is any doubt this image shows an NTE5 with the faceplate section removed and the test socket visible on the main body of the socket.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/BT_NTE5.JPG

Aaaah (re the good luck bit). I'm not at home at the mo so assumed the connects would be the same - clearly not then!

Thanks for the link, I will check tonight, you may well be right in which case I will try yr suggestion. THanks!
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vangeezer wrote: »
    Maybe joining the BT Broadband Forum and then contacting the mods might be better as the phone support seems to be a bit of a nightmare.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before you go through the 101 things BT's "support" team ask you try, I'd go with Chrisjr's comments and that may solve or elliminate your wiring as the problem.

When I've had to phone up support from an ISP (Plusnet) before they started from the top of their fault finding script I told them everything I'd done.... they didn't waste any time and progressed the fault to BT having agreed with me that it was an external fault. It probably saved 30 mins of trying filters, modems, pc's, wireless, wired connections etc.

This site may help
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been in the OP's position, in my case it was the 2 year old Linksys router that had died, I was a bit shocked that a router would last such a short time.

In my case, woke up, booted my pc and router, no internet, red light on my router, after a few reboots no change. the line was okay, had a dialing tone. Got onto my ISP, they said my internet should be working. With the ISP's help I concluded the router was dead so I just went and bought a new one. Job Done...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all replies, I am please to say I now have connection, no need to buy a new router.

Mind you it was a puzzling and annoying solution.

You see I had already checked all cabling running into the back of the router, I had made sure each and every one was pressed firmly home.

I had powewred the router on and off. I had physically unplugged the power and reconnected it. All with no result.

Last night I checked the connection into the wall socket, all OK.

Phoned BT support who I have to hand it to them answered prompltly and gave a good service.

The support asked me to switch the router off then physically unplug each and every lead going into it, then replug and power on.

It solved the problem.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that is good news, glad you didn't need a new router....at least if it happens again you know what to try out before making a phone call,.....:)
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    ...Phoned BT support who I have to hand it to them answered prompltly and gave a good service.

The support asked me to switch the router off then physically unplug each and every lead going into it, then replug and power on.

It solved the problem.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the problem reoccurs.

You have already said that you made sure the leads were pushed in properly & had turned the router off & on again. So I can't see this being a permanent solution.

It could be the lead from the router to the filter that is internally intermittent, & by disturbing it by unplugging & replugging it back in it has reconnected. I would buy another one if those cables in case the problem happens again.